Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hour on The Beach  (Read 6026 times)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« on: July 15, 2018, 08:10:42 PM »

I finally got to the beach a couple of days ago. Almost as soon as I got there I thought Id made the wrong decision. There was a slight off shore breeze but I was in the lee of some cliffs so couldn't feel it. The Sun was blazing down on the back  of my neck. But it had to be done. I just couldn't stand the guilt of not using the NOX after all I'd said about it.
Well I didn't fine much, as you can see, but the NOX didn't disappoint. I found a smallish patch of stoney beach and made a drunk bee-line for it. It didn't disappoint either, it was packed with signals. I will say again, the pin-pointer on the NOX is amazing. Ive always been frustrated on my local beaches by all the rubbish, couldn't pin-point with previous detectors for it. Move an inch and the signal was replaced by another and another. The NOX locks onto your choice and holds it, ignoring all the other signals till you press the detect button again. Great.
Was very surprised at not finding , again, a single coin, strange. The only find of note is the black button which seems to be silver although its not Hall Marked and has no Makers stamp. I very quickly discovered what number the ring pulls came up on so lesson learned and I feel the trip was almost worth it. Had to give up though, I just couldn't stand the heat, but looking forward with more confidence now to later in the year when, hopefully, the weather has returned to normal and the crops are all in.

* Beach 1.jpg (179.88 KB, 500x281 - viewed 570 times.)

* Beach 2a.jpg (182.24 KB, 337x600 - viewed 889 times.)

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
anthonyjay

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 09:26:00 PM »

Well done Val, good that you stood the heat long enough. The button looks quite nice. ATB AJ
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 09:29:01 PM »

Hi Val, well done on your beach search!! just a thought, but as its so HOT have you thought of popping on your bikini and searching in the water it would keep you cool and you may find some recent BLING losses....PS if you do don't forget a photo... Kiss Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 11:14:17 PM »

Paul, you’re incorigable  Kiss

Good idea though. I would never have thought of that. One main problem, no two, I don’t like water and I don’t own a bikini, or a one piece or even shorts. Ah, what a shame  Roll Eyes

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 06:07:27 AM »

Val,
                 any news on the black button yet?  I was thinking Royal Navy, and perhaps officer's uniform button. But then, me, I know nuffink!

Chris Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 07:44:09 AM »

Consensus is that it is silver but not military. The lettering, up and down says ‘REGIMENT’ . Age, ? But not yesterday  Grin
My thought is that as there are no hallmarks or makers marks it could have been a made to order sort of thing.
The black part seems to be enamel. Quite hard, so not plastic. It’s an unusual one, that’s for sure.

probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 09:05:23 AM »

Nice Smiley

I keep thinking about going beach detecting given our current weather (and so haven't done any detecting for about a month now). Just bought a book on the Barry Railway, which talks about Penarth and Barry and the numbers of people visiting them each year. Just got to get up and go there I suppose Smiley

congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 06:22:56 PM »

well done on getting out Val and giving it ago looks like you had a  few signals
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 07:05:23 PM »

Was planning to see if I could compete with you Val and see if I could better your score tomorrow. I had a quick visit to two of my farm permissions the other day but the earth was as dry as a bone and rock hard and I thought that a trip to the beach may be just the thing.

Alas, I am getting past detecting under the baking sun and I have had to give up any thoughts of hitting the beach tomorrow but I still get to take my three ladies down the coast to Rhyl, so they can play the bingo hall and the bandits. As for me, I'm not sure what to do to fill my time but at least I know the fuel costs will be met, I will get a free breakfast, and a quick visit to the Indian buffet house in Kinmel Bay.  Roll Eyes

I presently feel as though I have slipped into detecting hibernation!   Cry

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
tan-y-ddraig
Rally attendee

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 07:59:37 PM »

I was going to go to on the beach yesterday, I really was. But in the end I decided to leave the detector at home and scope out where the crowds were all gathering as I was going to be in the area anyway.

Guess who didn't check the tide tables? The tide was full in when I arrived so the only thing the beach was full of was water. Then I discovered that the whole length of the prom is Pay and Display so that's the end of that - damned if I'm paying £2.50 for the privilege of collecting the council's ring pulls for them!
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 08:12:46 PM »

Yea, you and me together both Chris. I looked at the tide times last night, followed by the weather forecast. Then I went back to sleep ! Apart from the heat we’ve now got all the screaming kids to contend with, not to mention the parents ! I’d like to think that any drops would still be there in Sept. but I think not ! I’ve seen a few are going out early morning or late evening, hoovering up.
They are forecasting some rain Friday night and some heavy rain on Sunday so maybe it’ll soften the ground a bit.
Did a bit of field tip-toeing a few days ago. 3 fields I’ve got permission on and not ventured to yet. Wheat crop still in but really small this kyear, cracks in the soil that wouldn’t be out of place in the Grand Canyon.
It can’t last forever, be patient.p

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 08:24:32 PM »

I feel the same tan-y- d.  My local beach charges £1 per hour, rob dogs. Plus they don’t give much option, £1, £2, or all day £4.
I’ve found a very small parking area, no charge but at best it only takes 7 cars. And that’s if everyone parks strait.
It annoys me that, as a local resident, I have to pay anything. Aren’t the rates enough ?
Roll on the winter. ( fancy me saying that ! )

BeachHunter101

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 01:02:03 PM »

Hello Val, well done on getting out Grin.The button looks to me like WW1 silver sweetheart brooch you may know this but sweetheart brooches were a small brooch depicting the service crest or soldier’s regimental badge. This was given as a reminder of their absence but also that home was always in their thoughts. I found a picture of one online Smiley

* 1edede56237853546d48c05551ec64ad.jpg (10.73 KB, 236x238 - viewed 467 times.)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 03:26:02 PM »

That’s a really good thought BeachHunter. Makes sense with the black back-ground. Not sure the design relates to any specific Regiment though, unless it’s sposed to encompass all of them.
The most interesting item has turned out to be the smallest. I don’t think I can get a good pic to post but il try. The tiny round thing in the main pic is brass with a crystal insert. Not plastic, it clinks when you tap it on your teeth ! Inside looks like a mini circuit board.
I’ve shown it to a few and nobody has a clue what it might be off. John questions why would it have a crystal top ? Good question !
I’ve put a dot of varnish on it so it shows up more clearly. I’ll give that pic a shot. Somebody on here might know what it is.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal