Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: More Pasture Finds  (Read 2316 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« on: July 08, 2018, 11:01:12 AM »

I just had to get back despite the extreme weather conditions, I have been detecting for over 30 years and this search was without doubt on the edge of madness, so until the heat subsides a bit or a breeze gets up I will leave the pasture. This was a 3hr search and 2 litres of water needed, oh and as can be seen from the photo a real cooling off amongst the shady conditions and a dip in the river. Any way enough moaning here are the results, The strap end looks early medieval (Saxon Period) sadly the patina has been lost and it is a bit corroded but a nice example and looks to be in the form of a Snake? . The decorative medieval mirror case is nice just need to find the other half. Although later period the decorative buckle is as good example as you mite retrieve from the soil and surly adorned a wealthy persons attire. The heraldic harness mount in the center has sadly also been ravaged by time this as well as the strap end came from close to river where the soil conditions are wetter and a bit more acidic for the amount of years they have been spent lying there.
Any way guys and girls, the paddling pool is waiting  Grin Grin, stay cool and keep the water intake topped up lol, this is in for a while longer  Wink Wink Cool Cool      

* 001.JPG (94.92 KB, 448x336 - viewed 163 times.)

* 005.JPG (139.4 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 166 times.)

* 006.JPG (142.26 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 268 times.)

* 008.JPG (147.96 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 261 times.)

* 014.JPG (180.81 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 260 times.)

* 007.JPG (167.13 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 260 times.)

* 012.JPG (139.94 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 265 times.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 01:43:08 PM by celticspikey » Logged
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 11:25:44 AM »

Fair play mate, that a good show of finds!
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 11:59:16 AM »

Nice going sport; you have me really envious.

Presently laid off and waiting for a break in the weather. I just don't have the stamina of you young guys and in this hot weather I feel as though Bluto has stolen me spinach, or someone has slipped kryptonite in me back pocket!  Roll Eyes

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 01:47:00 PM »

Nice going sport; you have me really envious.

Presently laid off and waiting for a break in the weather. I just don't have the stamina of you young guys and in this hot weather I feel as though Bluto has stolen me spinach, or someone has slipped kryptonite in me back pocket!  Roll Eyes
Cheers Resurgam, it's going to be awhile before this dry hot spell subsides, but hey the British weather will be back soon...lol. Hang in there.  Wink 
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 01:48:04 PM »

Fair play mate, that a good show of finds!
Cheers Dale,  Wink Wink
anthonyjay

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 02:30:20 PM »

Well done young man, great finds makes me very envious. Best wishes AJ
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 09:38:57 PM »

Once again a stunning array of finds Paul. Was that the same field as last week ?
Love the pic of the river. Looks lovely. By experience though, I know the flies and midges love places like that as well.
The harness mount would have realy been something. A rampant lion, wasn’t that usualy Royal ? As in Count, Barron or similar.
If you get the shakes again, before it cools down, take a sedative and warm the settee  Grin

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 12:10:54 PM »

Still finding things Smiley - I'm assuming that none were too deep?

I haven't been out detecting this month - I don't want to damage any of my permissions grass and it's rock hard anyway!

I don't really remember '76, although I do remember '77 as being reasonably dry too. This reminds me of '96 which seemed to stretch on and on (with the occasional thunderstorm).

I think the wheat is going to be in early - just hoping we get some decent rain soon to soak the ground, and that work doesn't send me away for a few weeks.
Johnboy25

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 09:32:32 AM »

Nice finds and thumbs up for your stamina to go out in this heat 👍
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 09:41:05 PM »

Still finding things Smiley - I'm assuming that none were too deep?

I haven't been out detecting this month - I don't want to damage any of my permissions grass and it's rock hard anyway!

I don't really remember '76, although I do remember '77 as being reasonably dry too. This reminds me of '96 which seemed to stretch on and on (with the occasional thunderstorm).

I think the wheat is going to be in early - just hoping we get some decent rain soon to soak the ground, and that work doesn't send me away for a few weeks.
Hi Roland, Yes still at it despite the heat, this pasture field is supprisingly easy to dig due to its location next to the river, and some of the finds were deep....although the majority top 6". A couple of days ago I had a field cultivated  early as the farmer could not seed last year due to excess rain !! However it's given me some where to search early prior to the harvest which has started in Wiltshire, well Barley anyway. A few nice finds came up which I will post soon... Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 09:06:24 AM »

Sounds good.

I'm thinking that there will be some early harvests this year (and I don't think they are going to be good yields) due to the drought.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal