Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Some days are diamonds and some days are stone!  (Read 7523 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: June 26, 2018, 09:25:57 AM »

My wife Margaret and her cousin Mavis love to play bingo and the seafront arcade machines. I once had a share in a bandit win and walked away with enough cash to buy a Nel Big coil for the safari and was even left with some change. But with gambling not being my forte, I tend to amble around town, read my latest magazine, or a book. With a little lateral planning I found that I was able to get my wife's permission to beach detect whilst the ladies played their favorite gambling machines.

Gee, I was in a win-win situation and things are looking good. I don't have to pay any fuel costs, the ladies pay for my breakfast, and at the end of the day they buy me my supper at the Bombay Buffet in Kinmel Bay. Who's a lucky boy then?

Still on a roll, the wife said that our seven year-old grandson had expressed a wish to metal detect with granddad. Ho Ho, destination Ainsdale Sands. Daughter dropped the grand-kids off at 0830 hrs and we headed to a local pub for an all you can eat breakfast and 'I' didn't have to pay a penny for food or fuel.   Grin    That was the good bit!

Arrived at Ainsdale and unpacked the big sun parasol, anchorage weight, sand toys, beach towels, drinks, sandwiches, extra cloths for both kids, and a few other bits and pieces. Having decide that the Quest Q40 should be the machine of the day, I took it out of the boot along with the finds bag, ProPointer, and cleaning brushes. It was only then that I realized that the spade was back in the house; along with the kitchen sink!  Roll Eyes   Not to worry, we could manage with the plastic garden trowel.

Several swings into the session and few targets, other than bits o' scrap, our seven year-old grandson, (along with me ProPointer), disappeared into the dunes to play tag with his five year-old sister.
Knowing when I am beat, I packed away the detecting gear and joined the kids in the dunes. First challenge was to climb the biggest sand dune in sight. With the kids already two thirds up the slope, I struggled to catch up, only to be greeted by cries of 'granddad, why are you so slow?' Yes, granddad hurry up!  I eventually made it to the crest of the dune, only to see both kids gallop back down, screaming and laughing as then went.

With my wife being disabled and unable to chase around after the kids, I spent the rest of Sunday chasing around after two excited grandchildren in blazing sunshine.

Next time I will leave the detector back in the house, along with the spade and the kitchen sink.

Sadly, the poor old Q40 didn't even get a chance to show it's metal. Pardon the pun.

Well, you lose some and you may just win some. Slowly planning a rematch with a North Wales beach and the Q40; possibly.

Chris  Wink

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 04:04:29 PM »

Poor Chris. You don’t get that easy, do you ?
I just thank my lucky stars the rest of the family still live in the Midlands. Don’t do kids these days. When they visit they stay at Blue Stone and just pop in for a day. Takes me 2 days to get over that.
Best of luck next time out. You Deserve a good find.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 06:00:31 PM »

Thanks for the condolences and the good wishes Val. Planning a rematch come this Friday but the big question is, which beach! Talacre, Prestatyn, Rhyl, or Kinmel Bay? Having a full contingent of passengers in the car and the wife's scooter in the boot; the equipment for the day will have to be the Q40 and spade. The Safari, sand scoop, and kitchen sink will be left at home.

Stay safe, stay well, and happy hunting.

Chris  Grin

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »

I have a similar problem with my children - they get bored after 15 milliseconds - and so there is no point taking my detector on holiday, or even to the beach with them as I spend most of my time keeping them on the beach rather than wandering off or jumping into the sea...My metal detecting spades come in handy though as (having three of them) we can share - and they shift a lot of sand in a short amount of time.

I've added a picture from a few years ago, but you can see the spade Smiley

* meonbeach.jpg (164.04 KB, 480x640 - viewed 526 times.)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 01:08:23 PM »

I hope you made sure they filled all the holes in  Grin

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 05:13:11 PM »

Love the armchair. Have they not tried to bury you yet?   Grin

I did contemplate planting some targets to get the kids interest but that somehow didn't feel right! The five year old granddaughter did ask me why I couldn't run fast.
Putting it gently, I said; 'if granddad runs too fast darling he will disappear'. To which she replied..'go on show us!'  Roll Eyes

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 06:14:48 PM »

You know what they say Chris, out of the mouths of Babes etc.  Had to smile though  Grin

Just mind you don’t over do things in this hot weather  Wink

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 10:15:12 PM »

Evening of the same day, the wee lass pointed at a glass I had on the kitchen table and said 'what's that?' I said it's a glass! She replied 'I know it's glass but what is it?' It's a drinking glass Katie. I know it's a drinking glass but what is it.

By now, a little frustrated I said........'It is a San-Miguel beer glass!'

Big sigh and..............'Why didn't you say that in the first place?'   Huh

probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 10:18:35 PM »

I thought I might post a few others Smiley

The first is at Redcar-sur-la-mer, the second on the eastern side of Swansea bay.

And for comparison - what happens if I don't have a spade - near the Great Blasket Islands off the end of the Dingle Peninsula - when I managed to get the family there 4 years later, my missus said it was the nicest beach she'd ever been to.

* ScreenHunter_425 Jun. 27 23.16.jpg (252.42 KB, 1233x925 - viewed 570 times.)

* ScreenHunter_425 Jun. 27 23.17.jpg (282.16 KB, 1191x805 - viewed 578 times.)

* sleahead161011.jpg (220.96 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 593 times.)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 01:23:30 PM »

Ah, happy days. Days you’ll look back on in 20 years time and smile.
It seems like another life time when mine were like that. I’m lucky enough to have a pic of my eldest, on a beach, ice cream cornet in one hand, taking his first couple of steps.
Treasure the moments. They pass all too soon.

What amazes me is how grown up the little ones seem to be. They come out with the most surprising comments. I’m not sure, I’m certain, I was never that grown up at such a young age.

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 03:41:08 PM »

Looking at those sand sculptures above reminds me of the front in Benidorm. Guys, or gals, build sand sculptures close to the walkway and leave a tin for passerby to throw coins into.  Worth a try!  Wink

probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 10:20:13 PM »

As soon as we left the first sand chair, people were sitting in it and getting their photos taken.......

Sometimes we build those stacks of pebbles -I've attached on I made on North Uist last year Smiley

I've even left a dry stone wall on Penarth beach before now too......

The other 'ball tower' was at Formby (also last year).

* ScreenHunter_425 Jun. 29 23.17.jpg (199.23 KB, 1365x743 - viewed 720 times.)

* ScreenHunter_425 Jun. 29 23.15.jpg (385.69 KB, 1480x824 - viewed 728 times.)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 06:50:22 AM »

I remember being fascinated by the first ones I saw. Couldn’t make out why or how.
Those sand balls are amazing, have you mixed grass in to hold them together ?
Passes the time when you can’t detect  Roll Eyes

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 12:06:45 PM »

Yesterday I spent an almost zilch detecting day at Rhyl, west of the blue bridge, and there wasn't even a single sandcastle in sight; let alone sand balls!

Traveled down with three ladies, one of whom was my wife, and was treated to an all you can eat breakfast prior to commencing the drive from our home town. Fueled up the car and it didn't even cost 'me' a penny. By the time we arrived in Rhyl the sun was high in the sky overhead and things were truly  beginning to warm up. Breaking into a sweat as I offloaded and assembled my wife's invalid buggy I secretly pondered your advice to take care out in the sun Val.

Arrived west of the blue bridge and took advantage of the 'free' parking. Offloading all my detecting gear, I felt the heat of the sun burning down upon the car and wondered if I should go ahead with the detecting session, or not. With the high tide at 1230 hrs, I found my planned area for the day's detecting was covered in seawater and I had to content myself with scanning the small section of beach close to where I had planned to detect. Once the tide had turned and receded sufficiently to allow me to access my chosen area, a cool wind was blowing off the sea and I didn't even break into a sweat. It didn't last long though.

As I was just getting into my stride and ignoring all the small arms copper shrapnel, lead inserts, and iron; I managed an old one pound coin, a cruddy premedical halfpenny, and a Victorian heavy lead projectile....'but' ....the breeze dropped and the sun turned up it's thermostat! 

Well! I can just see our Val sitting in front of her computer with a big smile upon her face and thinking..........'I told him to take care!'  Roll Eyes   

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 02:31:14 PM »

No smile Chris. I suffer in these high temps. Makes me feel quite poorly. That’s why I ‘preach’ be careful. Heat stroke can be a killer.
I’m sitting quietly, just me and 3 sleeping dogs. Sunny side of bungalow all closed, shady side wide open, child/dog gate in front doorway. Been asleep myself for a while, had a bad night with one of the dogs, it was quite pleasant in the garden at 3am this morning. Felt tempted to get a Sun Lounger out  Grin
John, in his wisdom (?) has gone with some friends to a model aircraft show down by Western Super Mare.
It’s my turn to be driven mad by relatives today. If I were to have a nightmare it would be, John  gets back at tea time and is followed onto the drive by another car and out spills, the driver, his partner, their 3 kids, all shouting and screaming, and the family dog who instantly pees up one of my plant pots. My 3 dogs going balistic (got to kill the invaders) and me trying to look as though they’re all welcome.
No nightmare. Just don’t come anywhere near my place, it’s going to happen.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal