Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strawberries & Duck Day  (Read 2131 times)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« on: June 15, 2018, 07:40:03 PM »

Thought you lot could do with a bit of cheering up. You can have a smile at my expense.

Not sure I should have put this in the Detecting Finds section, hey I did find something. Am I disheartened, heck NO. They're the best Strawberries I've ever grown. Grin

In my favour, it was the first time on the beach with the new Nox and I took one look at the beach and thought 'it'll be a miracle if I find anything in that lot.  Roll Eyes Don't you just love that little Duck  Grin

* Duck Day.jpg (211.89 KB, 375x665 - viewed 242 times.)

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 07:41:55 PM »

Strawberries

* Duck Day Strawberries - Copy.jpg (250.22 KB, 400x710 - viewed 248 times.)

probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 12:04:40 AM »

Those are pretty good strawberries Smiley - In the ground or in a pot? Have you ever grown white strawberries (we have some)

Upload a picture of both sides of your chinese coin - I'll have a go a id. I found one in Pontypool Park on a GDC rally and I eventually managed to id that one!
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 02:49:49 AM »

I’d appreciate that Roland. As it was found in a gully by the harbour I wondered how long it might have been there.
But that might not have been long because in 2016 I was down there at low tide and there were a couple of dozen Asians cockling.
Caused a bit of unrest with the local fishermen. Beds were only just recovering to a decent size.
I had a good day. Went home with a few lead weights, spendable and some supper for John  Grin

rainyday

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 05:40:53 AM »

What number did those strawberries come in at on the tid Val?  Cheesy
D
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 07:11:31 AM »

Interest post, if not a bit fruity! How did the Nox behave on wet saline beach sand Val? I wonder if the Chinese coin may have, perhaps, belonged to one of those Chinese cocklers and it was his/her good luck talisman?

I took the Quest Q40 down to Rhyl on Thursday and broke a habit of my detecting life time. Didn't leave home in the dark, didn't start the detecting session before the crack of dawn, and didn't carry my normally full of allsorts, (bar the kitchen sink), bag!

I did capture a plastic goat, a lead fishing weight, an old one pound coin, a spedable but grotty 50p, a nice shiny 20p, and what looks like a very old German coin......FUNFZIG GROSCHEN & 50 within a shield on one side and REPUBLIK OSTERREICH and an imperial eagle on the other, which I suppose makes it Austrian in origine; no visible date though.

Chris Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 07:46:03 AM »

ps..............

just managed to track the date on that coin and it is 1946. Not so old after all; just an old coin, battered by storm and shingle!

Chris Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 09:20:01 AM »

On 2nd thoughts Roland it’s realy not worth the trouble. Just an interesting find for Saundersfoot.
I know when the iron & coal industries were at their height all of the ports around the Welsh coast had many visitors from around the world. It could be from one of them.
As I know nothing about China or its people it would be pointless wasting time on it.
But thankyou for the offer.
By the way, Strawberries we’re grown in the, once open, ground. Now the birds need a pass to get at them  Grin John made a frame and I covered it with mesh to keep the little b’s out.
And, no, I haven’t tried white ones. Do they taste the same and how do you know when to pick them? I bet you don’t have bird problems though!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:52:21 AM by Val Beechey » Logged

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 09:22:40 AM »

Eyes only find raineyday. Amazing what you can find if you keep them open  Roll Eyes

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 09:38:10 AM »

Chris, you did better than me, but that’s not difficult!
Only having short trips I always travel light. Now with the Nox, it’s even lighter. Detector, ear-pods, cap, spade, finds bag and I’m away.
Took quite a bit longer this time as I had to try and remember how I’d decided to customise the settings.
In answer to your question. I am very impressed with the performance on the beach, despite not finding much (one foreign coin)!
The thing that I found most useful was the built in pinpointer. It’s amazing. With such trashy beaches around here it was always a nightmare to pinpoint with any of my other detectors. This one, once you press the button, it holds the signal/number till you have exactly pinpointed the target. It totally ignores any other signal nearby till you press the button again and go back to ordinary detector mode.
I knew it would be hard to find anything as soon as I saw the sand. The Chinese coin was in a gully by the harbour, well down, the rest of the beach was at least a foot higher. If not more in places.
Wonder if your goat would like my duck.?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:48:40 AM by Val Beechey » Logged

wittsy1

Where am I?

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 07:33:25 AM »

I remember there used to be a lot of pick your own strawberries land and you were able to eat as many as you want as you picked. All round to Val's then  Grin
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 08:57:27 AM »

I asked a neighbour last night if she’d like a few only to be told, no thanks, mine are doing well ! Can’t give ‘em away !

Further to above posted pic. (The one with the duck).  The small black thing in front of the duck turned out to be a silver bead.
It was encased in Black concretion when I found it. Wonder how long it had been there.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal