Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Back in the swing of things  (Read 3928 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: June 06, 2018, 07:18:31 PM »

Not been out for some time now but her indoors has given me permission to drive down the coast and give Talacre another try tomorrow. I visited one of my local permissions early in the week but decided that the ground was too hard for a wee bit o' digging and likely as not some scaring would 'perhaps' result. So Talacre here we come. Me n the Safari, that is!

Come Saturday I have to take the wife and two of her friend to Rhyl, so  I will put the Q40 in the boot and introduce it to the sands west of the blue bridge; whilst the Mrs and her friends live it up in Rhyl.

Thirdly and finally; I have to take the wife and her cousin down to Llandudno for an annual dinner on Monday and once again I get the opportunity to pack the Q40 and can perhaps give Llandudno beach a try. Never having detected on Llandudno sand, any advice that you folks could give me would be more than welcome.

Just hoping that I don't overdose on adrenaline!

Chris Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 08:01:47 PM »

Blimey Chris, for someone who’s been laid up you’re certainly coming back with a bang.
After Talacre you might find the other two easy going. That’ll get the Adrenalin running. I’ve always thought Talacre is one heck of a big beach and with its position on the estuary and the Irish Sea things must get shifted about a lot with the tides and currents.
Best of luck to you but be careful not to overdo it.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 09:34:11 PM »

Good evening Val. After the month that me and the Mrs just spent in Spain, with all the problems that came with it, Talacre should be easy peasy! Having said that; with a very low tide there must be almost a square mile of sands to detect (from the Point of Ayre to Presthaven) but I will be concentrating on a couple of small areas and monitoring myself quite closely. I will also be removing the Nel Big coil from the Safari and using a bungee for support.

Come Saturday and Monday, I will be swapping the Safari for the Quest Q40 and seeing if it will behave any better than the last couple of times that I swung it over a beach. Considering that the Q40 has a designated beach mode, I was highly disappointed in the beach mode performance. The Q40 is, of course, considerably lighter than the Safari and it performs quite well on pasture and appears to be good value for money when detecting inland.

I haven't a clue as how to tackle Llandudno sand but come Monday, I may just be ready for throwing in the towel anyway!

Chris  Grin

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 10:32:42 PM »

High tide on Monday in Llandudno is 9 .20 Chris so it will be dinner time before you can get onto  sand. Otherwise the beach is cobbles and pebbles and hard work to dig. Go for a walk along the pier to kill time if it's a nice day
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 02:59:42 PM »

A few years ago i detected Llandudno had hundreds of pre decimal era coins and artifacts including 3 bits of bling.
I had a good 40% of my recoveries from under stones...stayed up there for 4 days.
Used the old Minelab explorer very well suited to Llandudno.
Good luck.......Paul.

Greetings from the Dragon.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 05:34:33 PM »

Managed to swing the Safari from 0600 till 1200 hrs but had to retreat  off the Talacre sands, frazzled by the noonday sun. Recovered 2 x 1p decimal, one George VI penny, and one spendable fifty pence piece. Sadly, finds won't even cover fuel costs for the trip.

Unusually, for Talacre, I continue to recover .303 and .30 WWII cartridge cases from an area that has taken me by surprise. I was very slowly swinging the Safari and trying to listen intently to the different tones for cartridge cases, projectiles, shrapnel, and coins, when a movement in the periphery vision of my right eye caught my attention and a small wading bird walk passed me, at about three yards distance. It brought a broad smile to my face that the little fella wasn't frightened by my presence. As he, or she, continued to walked westwards past me I re-commenced swinging the Safari and looked up again; there in front of me, no more that three yards away, were some seventeen more of the little birds. The whole incident made my day, but my bloody camera was in my bag twenty yards away! They were an absolute picture of loveliness, as they passed like tiny dancers.   

Despite knocking off at lunch time, I was totally shattered and felt like Popeye after Bluto had stolen his spinach; or Superman with a Kryptonite nugget in his back pocket.   Tongue

Chris  Smiley

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 08:17:49 PM »

Well you know what they say Chris,  Mad dogs and Englishmen (if appropriate) go out in the midday Sun
Nothing worse for draining the strength right out of you. I’m being a little less than patient and doing what I have to each morning then hibernating till tea time. My main concerne is that while I’m being sensible the crops are pretending to be bean stalks for Jack the Farmer and even the grass is nearly too long again.
I intend to give the beach a try next week. That could be interesting !

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 08:06:56 PM »

O well,
                 eventually chickened out of detecting today and left the Q40 at home; despite having charged up it's battery and the headphones. Looked like being an other scorcher today and following the session at Talacre and spending all day in the garden yesterday I was knackered.

I hate it when I have to acknowledge that Val was right in the first place!  Roll Eyes

Chris Sad

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 09:41:32 PM »

Ha Ha Ha, you said it.

I have to say today was a case of do as I say not as I do. I went detecting thinking, as the forecast said, it was go8ng to be mostly cloudy with a top temp of 19c
If that was 19c I’ll eat my hat.
Nearly finished me off getting back up that hill to where I’d left the car. Just about coming back to normal. Don’t think I’m going to peg it after all !
Should take my own advice a bit more often, me thinks !

p.s. no finds of note. Found lots of crud again, but better quality crud this time.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 09:52:13 PM by Val Beechey » Logged

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 11:45:23 PM »

Well done Val. Glad you survived and made it home safely. For the present, I think dawn starts and short sessions will be the secret for us old uns surviving these very unusual British weather conditions. 

Looks like access to Llandudno beach on Monday will be at high noon so I best cut and run for cover again but will probably be able to put in an early start at Rhyl one day next week.

Chris  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal