Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: treasure finds  (Read 6217 times)
wagis
NWDD Member

gravity always gets me down

« on: May 04, 2018, 09:38:02 PM »

Hi all,
Not been on here for a while and not been out much either due to walking problems. but I have always felt that anything found should be reported especially if believed to be treasure. Now feeling very disheartened by the process am wondering if its all worth it. After waiting over three years for a result on an early medieval silver ring that the flo was excited about, and a piece of fancy viking silver treasure (although this piece was not complete)  I have finally been advised of payouts for me and the farmer. The museum in London said their independent valuer for the ring was £100 to £120 and for the viking silver £50 to £80. I have now been offered by their panel £80 for the ring (shared between me and the farmer) and £50 for the viking silver (shared again) and then asked would I like to donate my share. I think this is like adding insult to injury to not even offer the lowest their valuer said for the ring and will certainly think twice before I declare anything in the future. It certainly doesn't leave a nice taste in my mouth towards the system as it says if I am not happy I can make representations to the Secretary of State.
Chancellor
Rally attendee

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 11:44:06 PM »

Sorry to hear your story...I totally agree with you...the situation needs to be resolved nationwide...it seems unfair and definitely needs sorting out...great find...and good luck with sorting it all out...good hunting...👍..?
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 11:50:53 AM »

I successfully challenged a valuation for my hoard  - and eventually ended up with my initial valuation, although after 3 years the values should have increased......

Check online for any auctions that have sold similar material and find out what prices were paid for them.

This is the kind of information that is how the TVC come to a decision.

What I did find poor was that when I a recommendation was made I was given three weeks to respond - or to be fair - delay the TVC valuation until a later meeting. One of the stipulations they had was that they gave more weight to people who had seen the items in question (which in my case was just me or the museum) .

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »

It’s never been much different and not only with Treasure items,
Many years ago I bought a horse off the lady who gave my lessons. Great for a starter but as I got more experience I wanted something bigger and better (sounds familiar).
The punch line is this,  there’s a buying price and a selling price to all things. Usually means you get a well stuffed pillow. Roll Eyes Grin

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
romana

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 07:32:37 PM »

How much would it cost to buy a genuine early medieval silver ring with the paperwork?  upwards of £300 I would have thought. Wink

XP Goldmaxx power. F.I.D member. Wessex Searchers MDC.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 08:00:24 PM »

Here are some currently for sale at an auction. I haven't checked to see if they come with paperwork....

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/search-results?searchTerm=medieval%20silver%20ring
romana

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 08:16:48 PM »

I am surprised at how cheap they are considering age etc. bit disappointing Undecided

XP Goldmaxx power. F.I.D member. Wessex Searchers MDC.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal