Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5,000 year old crystal blade!  (Read 4092 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: April 10, 2018, 09:26:47 AM »

Crystal skull? Pah. That pales in comparison to what a group of archaeologists have found at a 5,000 year old tomb in southern Spain.

Sometimes you meet an artefact that is so striking, so unusual, that you can barely believe it’s real. This 5,000 year old crystal dagger is definitely one of them, but it is real… and it’s not even the only one!

Archaeologists in Spain spent three years excavating the Dolmen del Montelrio – a megalithic tomb near Seville. The monument, built with slate, extends nearly 44m in total and contains at least 25 individuals buried inside its many chambers – each with an extraordinary collection of grave goods.

In one chamber, archaeologists found a young man with clothes made of tens of thousands of beads, a set of 23 flint blades, an elephant tusk laid above his head, and numerous ivory objects. The whole lot (including his body) had been sprayed with a red pigment made from cinnabar.

But the most striking artefact is by far and away the cache of exquisite crystal weapons, including a dagger, some arrowheads, several blades and a few cores.

Cache of rock crystal arrowheads from Montelrio.

The arrowheads have the characteristic barbs of flint arrowheads from the area – but investigators remarked that even greater skill must have been required to produce these unique features when using rock crystal.

Together, they form part of “the most technically sophisticated and aesthetically impressive collection of rock crystal material culture ever found in Prehistoric Iberia“.

You can read more about their discoveries in The allure of rock crystal in Copper Age southern Iberia, published in Quaternary International.

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 05:26:17 PM »

That's quite an impressive set of artefacts - never mind the skill in working with that material (although flint and quartz are made from the same stuff)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 07:26:16 PM »

Unbelievable thanks for posting Neil... Wink
Jeff The Wizard

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 09:32:10 PM »

So it's true  Shocked
Dragon Glass does exist  Grin

All jokes aside. What fantastic finds  Smiley

If ring pulls and bottle tops were currency I would be a rich man
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 07:45:46 AM »

I know chaps - its astonishing the detail and the quality with no mechanisation. We wouldn't be able to do this today. Certainly not the arrow heads!

cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 08:41:41 AM »

They really are almost unbelievable and unique. Would have liked to see a pic of the bead dress but I reckon just removing it from the grave it would have been piece by piece.

Amazing, thanks for posting Neil.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Johnboy25

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 07:27:26 PM »

Amazing discovery, nice post 👍

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal