Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday 08/04/18  (Read 3733 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: April 07, 2018, 09:52:45 PM »

Good evening all,
                              anyone out sifting sand in the morning. The BBC weatherman has forecast sunshine all day for my regular beach area and a blazing 11 C reading on the mercury! Breezy but no greater than 10 ml/hr but shiting from nw to s during the day.

Going to take all but the kitchen sink with me and try to stick it out all day. Planning on testing some bungees and extra headphones on the Safari/NelBig combination. If the weight gets the better of me I will just cut the session short and have a picnic!    Wink

Chris  Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 11:16:29 PM »

Did you mean shifting Chris ?  Grin Grin Roll Eyes
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 04:01:29 AM »

That did cross my mind Chris!  Grin Grin Grin Grin

I just hope that time and tide hasn't shifted too much sand and scuppered my plans to detect certain areas.

Chris  Wink

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 06:46:30 AM »

Reread your post Chris, you have a missing letter.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 08:18:45 AM »

Best of luck Chris with the beach search.. Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 10:39:33 PM »

Yahoo, two gold rings and a diamond encrusted brooch off Talacre sands.  Shocked  I wish!  Sad

Swung through the hours, from 0630 to 1530 and gave a few bits of kit a good exercising. The Safari/Nel Big coil combination worked well, once I gave up all metals and the manual sensitivity setting of 20. Once I flipped the machine back onto auto sensitivity and set coin and jewelry mode into operation it fare settled down.

Sadly, the Easyswing bungee wasn't man enough to stand up to the weight of the Safari/Nel Big coil combo and repeatedly stretched beyond use, despite repeatedly adjusting both the elasticated and webbing straps. The backup bungee supported the machine somewhat better but restricted my swing. Time for a rethink on bungees, me thinks!

Earlier in the month I had a problem with a set of headphones and wasn't sure if the problem was down to the jack plug, or the Safari socket. Switching to my set of Coss headphones resolved the situation and proved that it was the jack plug on the other phones that was causing the intermittent connection problem.

Sadly no bling and only one coin, a George VI ship halfpenny, but stumbled upon an unusual section of beach that keeps producing WWII .303 brass cartridge cases that initially look as brassy as the day they were dropped there by fighter aircraft. The cases soon tarnish once recovered and the air gets to them.

The Safari worked well differentiating between the cartridge cases, 50 cal projectiles, .303s, copper jackets, and small shrapnel. But not a single coin was to be found in amongst all that scrap. Next time out I may reintroduce the Quest Q40 to Talacre and see what it makes of the same section of beach; I sure won't need a bungee for it!  Wink

Chris  Smiley     

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 02:23:03 AM »

Hats off to you for effort Chris. Do you have a scrappy who buys your copper ? With all the casings you find it must add up.
I had my 1st proper outing with the XTerra and also came home with just one early George 3rd half penny. Only managed 2 1/4 hours swinging this time before I was loosing control of ankle stability. None the less it was a well worth experience. I couldn’t have chosen a more trashy area if I’d tried and was sooo impressed with the descrimination. The best example was an old iron door lock. The XTerra picked up on the small brass insert for the key. Can’t get much better than that. Also found an area littered with broken slate and copious amounts of lead. Must have dug a couple of kilos before I got fed up with it and moved off.
At least for a change we can honestly say, it was a great day for it. Even gave a T.Shirt an airing  Grin

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 06:08:15 AM »

Good Morning Val,
                                great to see that you are eventually getting out but don't push yourself too hard.

I do have a local scrap dealer who takes all my non ferrous metals off me. The scrap merchant even takes all my .303 and .30 projectiles as mixed metals, (copper/nickel steel/antimony), but the father died last year and I will have to check if they are still accepting my stuff. Weighing in my scrap is a wee bit more complicated these days and it all has to be documented, with payments being made by cheque or bank transfers. Having said that; I  now tend to pass over most projectiles and small shrapnel pieces and try to only dig the more interesting signals.

Chris  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal