Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammered  (Read 4690 times)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 09:05:58 PM »

Well found N8. Nice coin. I can see it’s an Edward but like you never know which one  Roll Eyes
I see you’ve had a go at the cleaning. That one looks just about right.

P.s. shame about the other one but you can’t win ‘em all.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
N8

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 09:13:34 PM »

Thanks Val, good advice

Just gutted that i cant really tell what the other coin is but chuffed to find it none the less, only visited this ste a few times so eager to go back, cursing the snow 😨

To dig or not to dig? That is the question
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 07:09:56 AM »

Despite the lack of reported detail; how did it respond to the spit and foil test? Was it actually silver?

Chris Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
N8

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 11:40:55 AM »

Despite the lack of reported detail; how did it respond to the spit and foil test? Was it actually silver?

Chris Smiley

Hi Chris

To be honest it didnt really change much, though when i took it from the foil there was a bit of a whiff like the edward coin, so i guess it is silver but not 100% sure. Is there another way to tell what type of metal an object is?

Greg

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 12:00:57 PM »

Chris Smiley

Hi Chris

To be honest it didnt really change much, though when i took it from the foil there was a bit of a whiff like the edward coin, so i guess it is silver but not 100% sure. Is there another way to tell what type of metal an object is?

Being the coin is shot you may as well try baking soda, rub it on the coin and swill off in water, keep doing it until detail comes up/or disappears. Do not use this method unless you are prepared to ruin the coin or object.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 10:15:42 AM »

The second coin has a bifoliate crown by the looks of it (like two prongs on the out side of the crown).

The style is wrong for an Edward III (also they tend to have lots of annulets or saltaires in the legends), Given the style, I'd say Edward 1st, class 10. it's London mint.

With the 'foil and spit' - I use a similar method, but one that doesn't involve a lot of rubbing of the coin.

Get yourself some washing soda (it's about £1 for enough to last you years). Wrap the coin in some tin foil. Put it in a cup / glass - whatever you want to use to clean things! The put a reasonable amount of washing soda on the in the cup around the coin (in foil). Pour on boiling water. As it cleans your coin, it will smell - you can light the bubbles too, which is always fun.

Before the water has cooled completely, remove the coin and wash it - depending on the coin and how I feel, I either use an old cellulose sponge or an old toothbrush or my horsehair brush I got from a jewellers 25 years ago. This will clean most of the silver chloride off it, if it is silver.

If that hasn't completely done the job I then bung it in acid for a short while, but I wouldn't recommend this just yet Smiley
N8

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 08:27:54 PM »

Many thanks for the coin id Probono, I thought it was edward 1 or 2 but theres so many different classes i got lost.
Also i may give the coin clean a go on the other coin just to see if i can get more detail up on it.
Thanks

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal