Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coin, counterfeit, seal, or bottle top?  (Read 2954 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: February 20, 2018, 08:50:29 AM »

I recovered this little item from about four inches deep in sand, grit, and shingle. I initially thought it to be what was left of a bottle top. It is wafer thin, about the size of an old penny, totally blank on one side, but the other side appears to have a seated figure with a shield (or wheel) resting close to the left knee. It has the look, feel, and sound of lead but I will do an sg on it today and also do some accurate measurements..

Perhaps it's that old artist nature playing tricks with a bit of beach scrap?

All help in putting an id on this item will be greatly appreciated.

Chris Smiley.

* Britannia beach.JPG (111.19 KB, 322x456 - viewed 606 times.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:52:01 AM by Resurgam » Logged

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 08:55:53 AM »

Looks like the reverse of a Georgian half penny (depending on size).

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 10:54:20 AM »

The item is in deed very similar in diamiter to a George III halfpenny but the scale of the figure appears to be totally different.
It is not made from copper, or bronze, but a white metal that is totally unresponsive to the old spit and aluminium foil test. Initially I would say that it
is made of lead but haven't yet done a sg test on it.

* Comparison.JPG (75.21 KB, 456x322 - viewed 860 times.)

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 01:25:29 PM »

It's not a tin halfpenny?
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 07:54:26 PM »

I didn't even realise that there was such a thing as a tin halfpenny but then again I didn't know that some coins were actually minted in pewter. Despite Googling around and surfing the net I am unable to find a Britannia to match the figure on this item. The shield (if it is a shield) rests just in front of the left knee and not at the left elbow or buttok.

I keep thinking that I can possibly see some letters on the "shield" but will need to take a better photograph to check that out.

Chris

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 09:18:36 PM »

Well,
          I eventually got round to doing an sg on the item and it came out as 7.0.  Allowing for scale and technique discrepancies I recon the closest and most likely metal would be tin or zinc. If tin, what sort of date could be put to it?

* Target for id.JPG (109.38 KB, 322x456 - viewed 359 times.)

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 09:36:54 PM »

Chris, are you sure it’s not a button? The shape around the edge seems to be scalloped. Trick of the camera or real?

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 09:56:20 PM »

You are right Val; it is not a trick of the camera but I had thought that the slight scalloping was perhaps due to the way that time and tides had worn it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal