Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Strap End  (Read 3965 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« on: February 17, 2018, 10:20:09 AM »

Yesterday was one of those days I just couldn't settle and concentrate on one particular field as I kept thinking of other fields close by, so by the end of my 5hr search I had had very little in the finds bag. However I ended up searching my medieval field  with nothing but lead and scrappy pieces to show again, so for the last 1hr, I decided to step into the field above the medieval field I had only took  a few steps and bang a signal that was not like the shottie's I would have expected so close to the fence and hedge. Any way this large strap end / fitting was my reward,after 8 years of searching around these fields alluding me it finally fell to the finds bag. The picture of the field does not really show just how steep it is, but my reward as I sat on top in the sun was worth it, contemplating the loss all those years ago of this artefact. 

I have yet to find a comparison, but I'm guessing date wise around the 14thc ? although I had thought earlier medieval, I dont think its Saxon or Viking but finds of that age has come from these fields. The bird looks like either an Eagle, or Raven. I would be happy to hear your opinions on it guys.

* 011.JPG (212.84 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 383 times.)

* 020.JPG (177.44 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 388 times.)

* 019.JPG (181.32 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 517 times.)

* 022.JPG (183.54 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 514 times.)

* 012.JPG (358.36 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 535 times.)
GJH

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 12:41:55 PM »

Very nice whatever it turns out to be.
Geoff
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 06:06:53 PM »

Here's my update.

It's a Medieval Composite Crescent Shape strap end...13th-14th Cent. (A Dove with wings extended in a crescent shape) inscribed IHC on the crescent, I couldn't make out inscription at first......The inscription makes it more special for me .
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 06:13:32 PM »

Absolutely superb and in such good condition very well found......Paul.

Greetings from the Dragon.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 07:33:52 PM »

So glad you’ve I.D’d it Paul. I can stop looking now  Grin

Only popped back to have another look. It’s a fantastic find, again. Proves what’s been said before, there’s no such thing as an empty field.

Beautiful find.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
relicron

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 08:17:10 PM »

cracking find there again paul,funny how you can go over & over a field thinking there is nothing,then bang up comes a beautiful artefact like that,brilliant paul. ;)cheers Ron
roughneck

T2 SE

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 08:35:20 PM »

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful!!!!  A real treat for the detectorist eyes.  Just fantastic Paul.  Keep them coming!!!  Cheers.  Tom.
JBM

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 11:06:44 PM »

What a nice Zoomorphic Pendant. Could be earlier than you think.

Well saved.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.
Andre

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 10:00:16 AM »

Beautiful patina,I’ve seen similar items and they were all from 8th century or there abouts.
I particularly like the little grooves under the dove that like like Scandinavian runes...
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 08:18:55 AM »

I still think that dove looks like a dragon when you turn it sideways. Also thought some of the pattern looked like Runic symbols but overall shape is more Saxon.
Probably romantic wishful thinking. It’s definately a unique find.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 08:58:55 AM »

Well done Spikey - I was trying to post about the letters yesterday but my phone was playing up. Anyway heres the lowdown on the letters:

In the Latin-speaking Christianity of medieval Western Europe (and so among Catholics and many Protestants today), the most common Christogram became "IHS" or "IHC", denoting the first three letters of the Greek name of Jesus, ΙΗΣΟΥΣ, iota-eta-sigma, or ΙΗΣ.[12][13][14]

The Greek letter iota is represented by I, and the eta by H, while the Greek letter sigma is either in its lunate form, represented by C, or its final form, represented by S. Because the Latin-alphabet letters I and J were not systematically distinguished until the 17th century, "JHS" and "JHC" are equivalent to "IHS" and "IHC".

"IHS" is sometimes interpreted as meaning "Jesus Hominum (or Hierosolymae) Salvator", ("Jesus, Saviour of men [or: of Jerusalem]" in Latin)[15] or connected with In Hoc Signo. Such interpretations are known as backronyms. Used in Latin since the seventh century, the first use of IHS in an English document dates from the fourteenth century, in The vision of William concerning Piers Plowman.[16] In the 15th century, Saint Bernardino of Siena popularized the use of the three letters on the background of a blazing sun to displace both popular pagan symbols and seals of political factions like the Guelphs and Ghibellines in public spaces (see Feast of the Holy Name of Jesus). The IHS monogram with the H surmounted by a cross above three nails and surrounded by a Sun is the emblem of the Jesuits, according to tradition introduced by Ignatius of Loyola in 1541.[15] English-language interpretations of "IHS" have included "In His Service".

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 09:44:31 AM »

Thanks guys for your comments, and a special thanks to you Neil for your explanation on the lettering much appreciated mate. The FLO thinks it's a bit special and will record soon... Wink
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 10:50:42 AM »

No problem mate - I have seen it on other members finds. Stan from Cardiff SCAN had a not dissimilar strap end but smaller in a VoG rally in our early days.

Great find

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 10:56:20 AM »

now that's something that's very likeable - great find - and I'm sure it was a sad loss for (as I imagine) the monk who lost it.
Mungo

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 09:59:08 PM »

Cool that;s a lovely find  Cool Cool

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal