Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pincer movement!  (Read 2011 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: January 29, 2018, 09:49:51 PM »

Sunday just gone, I decided on a break from beach detecting and checked if it was ok to detect an alpaca paddock that I have permission for. Struggled to get me head of the pillow and it was 10.00 hrs before I was on site and kitted up. The alpacas and I gently avoided each other for approximately two hours and only the occasional junk target woke up the Q40.

Slightly bored but enjoying the mild weather, I meandered here and there, occasionally recovering junk to kill the boredom. Daydreaming and listening closely to the differing tones of the Q40, I had forgotten about the two animals that I was sharing the paddock with "WHEN" I was rudely brought back to reality by the flash of fury creatures closing in on me and skidding to a halt just yards from me. Oh muck; what have I done to upset the bloody things so much that they have charged. We stood in a sort of Mexican standoff, me looking at them and them looking at me.

As I was thinking "what next", a big bite yer bum dog came tearing down the drive and started like "I want to get through that fence and rip me apart". Mustering all the calm and confidence that I could (not a lot) I said to the dog "hi fella, where's Fred?" The dog's head swung left and he stopped barking. Looking over my shoulder, in the direction that the dog was looking, I saw Fred, his brother, and one of the lads all standing with big beaming smiles on their faces. They had come out with treats for the alpacas and Fred had whistled them. It just so happened that I was in their way.

If someone has filmed the incident and posted it on YouTube, you might just see my knees shaking a little! To top off the day, I found nothing but scrap.  Cry

Chris Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 10:56:56 PM »

I think there’s a few of us know exactly how felt Chris. Grin

I’ve said a few times I wish someone had filmed that so I could watch it and have a laugh at myself. 

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 10:21:25 AM »

I think the old bugger set me up to see how I reacted. Nearly made me poop my self. Chatting afterwards I said.........'you frightened the bloody life out of me' and we both had a good laugh. He then went on to suggest a number of farms that he thought I should try.

It's just a pity that the Q40 couldn't sniff out any good targets but I suppose if they aint there, you just cant detect em. I will be returning with the Safari + Ultimate coil later in the year and seeing if stuff is hiding deeper than the Q40 can reach. Come Sunday, I will be returning to the equine paddock where I hoovered up forty plus coins when I last detected it. Interestingly, none of them were much over four inches deep but I have been advised settings that may give me some more depth.

Early days yet and there is still some smoke and mirrors confusing the Quest market place but I do think that the Q40 was a step up from the EuroAce and it may have plenty of hidden potential.  Only time will tell.

Chris Smiley

ps..... how are all your aches, pains, and bruises now?

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 04:05:11 PM »

When I went ask for permission on my last farm it turned out to be the same farmer that let 30 young Heifers into a field I was in. He remembered me and said he had a good laugh at me expense that day.
I didn’t laugh ! Shocked though my number had been called. That was another one that should have gone on YouTube.
Worth him having a laugh though because he gave me free reign over the new farm.

Bruises pretty well gone, now in a boot for another week then, gently gently on my own again. Can’t wait  Grin   thanks for asking.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 05:26:13 PM »

Good to hear that you are on the mend Val. When I first got my permission to detect the lama/alpaca paddock you did warn me about the wee monsters! I have just been viewing some vids of lama/alpaca attacks that are on YouTube and I'm glad that I didn't watch them when I first got the permission.

It turns out that the owner knows most of the farmers in my area and is on good terms with the owner of the equestrian paddock that I'm heading for this coming Sunday. Small world isn't it? Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal