Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nothing Special  (Read 2701 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« on: January 21, 2018, 12:22:07 PM »

Hi guys, nothing special today just the run off the mill finds most of us get, here's some from the last two trips. What I will say is you will see the tiny pieces of lead on the bottom row, the smallest of which is only 3 grms, if your picking up signals this small granted not deep, you can be confident the small Celtic,Roman, and Saxon coins will fall to the mighty Deus (other makes are available) Grin.....providing of course they are there to find. Wink

* 002.JPG (192.84 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 306 times.)

* 003.JPG (194.34 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 317 times.)
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 01:46:31 PM »

Dont know about run of the mill some nice buckles and at least one token from the mid 1600,s
Good day in my eyes...

Greetings from the Dragon.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 01:59:19 PM »

There are one or two finds there that many would love to find. A couple of those buckles, I never found any as nice.
Even the lead collection has one interesting piece. It’s from a leaded, stained glass window. Tells it’s own story, a high class building. I did find several pieces similar and some of the coloured glass. I was highly delighted as I knew it had come from the Country Residence of (I can’t remember the name) built in the 1700’s.
May not as fantastic as some of your finds but easier to put a history to. You certainly didn’t go short of digging  Grin

p.s.  what’s that little patterned round thing, right side, top pic ? Though it was a spindle whorl but no hole !
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 02:04:01 PM by Val Beechey » Logged

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
roughneck

T2 SE

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 03:39:40 PM »

Well done Paul, lots of digging and a few nice bits and pieces.  Not run of the mill stuff to most detectorists as there's Roman coins, token, hammy, and some nice buckles.  Great stuff I would say!!  Shame the ground is so wet and sticky though as it tires the old legs quite quickly and it's a nuisance having to scrape the spade and wellies all the time.  Good fun though!!!
Cheers and Happy Digging!!  Tom.
jtalbot0001

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 04:33:55 PM »

Hey CelticSpikey,

In your lead selection you have what appears to be a fat lead 'nail' top left. What is it? The reason I ask is I have one like this, found in a Roman area, but is it Roman? And what was it used for? Could it be a bottle stop, like a cork?

Regards,
Jon

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 04:39:31 PM »

Just noticed a pot mend. Just under the thing that looks like a nail. Nice.

celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 07:58:37 PM »

Perhaps I should not have said (run of the mill finds) I am fully aware many folks would like to find some of these things or has yet to do so, but they are fair representation of every day signals.
 Yes, Val you are quite correct on the pieces of lead they are from windows and it is a pott mend, it just shows how the Romans did not always throw broken pots or indeed during the medieval period especially it they never had the wealth to buy new. It all tells a story.
jtalbot, the lead item I am not sure about but it does look like its connected to the piece beneath it but its not so I dont think its a nail.

celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 08:05:38 PM »

Well done Paul, lots of digging and a few nice bits and pieces.  Not run of the mill stuff to most detectorists as there's Roman coins, token, hammy, and some nice buckles.  Great stuff I would say!!  Shame the ground is so wet and sticky though as it tires the old legs quite quickly and it's a nuisance having to scrape the spade and wellies all the time.  Good fun though!!!
Cheers and Happy Digging!!  Tom.
Cheers Tom, The rain is doing my head in as I'm sure it is you guys, no end in sight either yet. It looks like this week I will be looking for some pasture to try and stay clean. I know what you mean about cleaning up after a trip, today my Mrs got really funny with me today when I was cleaning my coil off whilst she was preparing the veg......  Grin Grin Wink Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 09:25:55 PM »

Do you mean to tell me Mrs Spikey doesn’t buy her pots in a sack !
I do and it’d put your Coil to shame. 1 lb pots + 1/2 lb soil. It pees me off as well but it’s still cheaper than a bag from the supermarket.
Forgive the pun but you could grow spuds in it  Grin

congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 10:49:47 PM »

some nice  buckles there  well searched thanks for sharing
Chancellor
Rally attendee

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 08:05:36 PM »

Some nice bits and pieces.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 10:34:52 PM »

Looks like there is a hammered hiding in there too. Smiley.

I think that most of that is the usual kind of stuff we find, though perhaps not in those quantities, in one go. Lead usually means occupation and so finds, so I don't mind that, it's just in my case it always seems the other finds are more elusive!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal