Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are there any previous rally places we can re-visit  (Read 2659 times)
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« on: January 15, 2018, 09:02:49 PM »

I've been looking at the old rally reports - it's interesting to see what was found over the years anyway - and partly to see if there was anywhere that DW went to, say only once - and had a great turnout and finds.

There are some places that we have visited quite a few times and they have also been productive - although - for me - Aberthaw was quiet the last time I was there - probably spent too much time talking.

Locally I noticed the Penmark rally - where it seemed to be raining finds - and even Garway seemed pretty good.

Further away there were a few rallies in Shepton Mallet and a superb one in Sodbury.(which i remember being quite sad I couldn't make - before the rally - and even sadder after I saw some of the finds).

Is there any chance that these places would be re-visitable?

I know that given the way that transport links work - and with the reduction in the bridge fee, it's often quicker to visit a few places in the West Country than sunny Hereford (much thought I like the place). I'm sure a few rallies over there would soon enliven the forum again.

No point asking me to ask though - I can't even get a university buddy to give me permission......
marknewbury1

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 09:31:06 PM »

Yes the aberthaw was a  good one I found a 14th century horse pelment
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 11:05:47 PM »

That's a great suggestion Rowland, I remember a farm in Nether Stowey that was very productive as well

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:18:43 AM »

Good shout - Its something we are looking to do at the moment.

Can any of you recall your favourite rally areas and we can get back in contact with the owners?

We have 100% return invite from all our farmers so its certainly something we could do. On the plus side the plough will have been active over the many years since we first started so who knows what is waiting to be unearthed.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 11:52:36 PM »

Looking through the reports, which don't all have pictures any more, rally 38, Penmark, rally 44, rally 69 Sodbury, and I think rally 60, which is Hereford, even Garway, but I can't remember which rally that was.

There also seems to be a few Cardiff rallies, early on that seemed good, I think they were Cardiff East.

Some other places have been done since by other clubs, I know Bassaleg for instance, or a farm near Trellech, where I didn't find anything the two times I've been as an individual (and then learned that DW had been there twice)...

Anyway, some ideas Smiley
rookypair

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 02:51:05 PM »

This is a good idea!   I cannot remember the place name (that's a good start eh?) but it was right next to a runway that accepted large planes on.  This was where we found the seal that we had made into a finger ring by a jeweller.  I would love to go back there.

kind regards

Cherry and Bob

rookypair

Garrett Euroace and Ace 250
colin

dig everything

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 07:54:15 PM »

Shepton mallet was good had gilt Tudor dress hook jtalbot had two lovely Roman brooches and there was a little hot spot of Roman found by tafflaff,wouldn't mind penmark missed that one  Wink
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:56:43 PM by colin » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal