Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Talacre  (Read 4984 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: January 17, 2018, 09:59:14 AM »

Anyone for Talacre this coming Sunday.

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 06:29:04 PM »

I’d join you Chris,   but,  I haven’t got an all terrain buggy  Grin

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 06:42:29 PM »

Me wife has an electric buggy but not all terrain. She bought it saying that pushing her wheelchair was too much for me, now that I was getting older. Now I can hardly keep up with her! That's progress for you. Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 10:09:23 PM »

Funny you should say that. Johns having the same problem with me and my chair. He’s been taking me for short walks down the lane, for a bit of fresh air and a little walk for the dogs.
One section is downhill on the way out. Great fun with the dogs pulling and John trying to keep up.
He did the dirty on us yesterday though. Half way down that little decline he put the anchors on. Stopped the dogs dead and nearly propelled me off the seat into the road.
I think I might miss that chair when I don’t need it any more. Grin

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 08:22:32 AM »

Jeez, the lad has it all wrong; he should give the dogs their heads heading back up hill and shout mush! I think me and the Mrs have been watching life in Alaska too much.  Grin

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 09:24:11 AM »

Ha Ha  Grin. Tried that Chris but it doesn’t work. They’re used to a 2 miler every morning so are reluctant to go home after such a short walk.

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 04:51:03 PM »

That's dogs for ya. Many years ago I took our hound out for her compulsory exercise and I huddled under a tree, in the dark, in pouring rain, and waited for the dog to return to my side. No dog! Whistle whistle, no dog. Call, whistle , search, no dog. Call, call, whistl , still no dog.

Returned home in the pouring rain, cold, wet, and despondent; wondering how I was going to tell the Mrs that I had lost our beloved dog.

Knock, knock, knock. Something terrible has happened love! I have lost the dog!

What do you mean, you have lost the dog; she has been here with me for the last twenty minutes and I have been worried about you!

Dogs!!!!!!  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes 

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 10:48:57 PM »

Hmmmm, getting back on thread; the BBC weather now predicts Sunday as being rather wet. Normally I'm pretty much of a fair weather detectorist and tend to avoid detecting in the rain but being determined to get the Q40 back onto the beach, I'm busy trying to dig out some wet weather gear ready for Sunday.  Undecided

Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 12:39:59 AM »

Plenty of sand getting blown around in Talacre yesterday and the sea was wild. Might have uncovered something for you Chris.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 07:36:14 AM »

Hi Chris,                  

It will be interesting to see if the Quest Q40 behaves any better on the sands this time round. I'm still learning how best to set it up for what I want to recover.

Had the Q40 out on a paddock where I knew there would be a couple of coins left over from sweeping it with the Safari and hoovered up some 41 coins. Nothing much deeper than four inches though. I have been advised that it will go deeper but perhaps all the coins of the day were lost at similar times. The first twenty pound of spendable decimals off the paddock I gave to the land owner and some £22 of withdrawn one pound coins I have donated to a charity ( they can still bank them at the moment). I just need enough now to get me a decent long life battery for the Safari Wink .

Still early days yet; I will give it twelve months and then decide if I will stay with the Q40, or not. The machine is a lot lighter than the Safari and I can swing it for hours without any major problems.

The oldest coin that I have recovered from the paddock is a Scandinavian 1877 4 ore piece but that was whilst swinging the Safari.

Still a bit hesitant about Sunday, I just don't like detecting in the rain but will try and give it a go. The Q40 is weather proof but I have a cover on the control box anyway.

Chris Smiley

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:42:19 AM by Resurgam » Logged

Chancellor
Rally attendee

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 05:48:37 PM »

Good luck ..Resurgam.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 06:09:36 PM »

Thanks sport. BBC weather man still forecasting rain all day tomorrow and I am slowly sorting out some wet weather gear but can't lay me hands on my water proof trouser yet. I normally hate detecting in the wet but at present Sunday is the only day I have free and I do so want to give the Q40 a second chance on the beach.  Roll Eyes

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 11:26:27 PM »

Hi Chris. Have you found your trousers. If you haven’t take it as a sign you shouldn’t go.
The Q40 might be water/weather proof but you’re not.
Remember the patience bit. There’s always another day.

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 12:31:32 PM »

Good morning o'wise one! Found me trouser in me old sea fishing box, out in the shed, late last night. Not a spot of rain outside our house when I got up early this morning and the ice had gone from the car.

Well, cutting a longish story short, I motored down to Talacre and kitted up in the dark. Made my way to the beach in light drizzle and started meandering here and there whilst playing with the detector settings and getting used to the sounds.

All the wet weather gear was working fine and I was nice and snug inside, despite the bone chilling east wind and the increasing rainfall. Sadly, two hours in, my fingers started to really feel the cold; despite the hand warmer that I had with me (should have had two; one for each glove). The third hour saw me throw the towel in and give up. The rest of me was reasonably warm and dry but me fingers on both hand were slowly going dead.

Going to put beach detecting on hold until warmer weather arrives and even then I'm going back to my regular policy of not detecting in the rain.  Roll Eyes

The Q40 worked better than it did on the last beach visit and even eked three coins from amongst loads of wwii projectiles and I dug virtually no scrap. I will be interesting to see how it gets on in the summer.

PS................I hate to say it but you are right!  Roll Eyes

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 01:33:23 PM »

Remember how long the Safari took to get used to Chris.
I reckon the Q40 might do better than you weather allowing.

I thought the saying went,   Oh the impetuosity of youth !

Still you went you saw you conquered  Grin   Well done on effort.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal