Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a break in the weather!  (Read 3467 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: January 04, 2018, 07:17:45 PM »

Not been down to Talacre for a while now and the last time I swung a coil there I was using my new Quest Q40 and I wasn't overly impressed by it's beach performance. 

I have begun to get more familiar with the Q40 and put in a few hours on two separate permissions, with the machine looking to be more promising. But missing my regular fix of beach detecting, I have decided to break out the Safari and motor down to Talacre on Sunday and see what the Big Nel coil can sniff out.

Santa brought me an EasySwing bungee for Christmas and I whizzed into my local B&Q and bought my self an elongated bungee chord with spring loaded clips at each and it looks like the B&Q bungee chord may make a better support for the heavy Safari/Nel Big coil combination. We shall see!

Chris Smiley

PS.............................Happy New Year!

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Andre

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 11:32:29 AM »

Happy new year to all.
I am also looking for a break in the weather,some time off work also,we are busy compensating for the down Christmas period.
I am gagging to go out detecting but not any time soon.
It’s a race against time because as soon as the days grow bigger the grass on them pastures will grow to an impossible size...GG+HH
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 11:48:50 AM »

I eventually made it to Talacre yesterday morning, despite the early morning frost and the bone chilling wind that was blowing in off the Dee estuary. The home made bungee proved to be of little or no assistance with the Safai/Nel Big coil and I gave up after forty five minutes and switched to the EasySwing bungee. The EasySwing proved much better at taking the weight; once I had made a few adjustments.

The recent high tides had cut away sections of the dunes and brought down plenty of fresh WWII scrap onto the sands but by careful listening to the tones and ignoring the visuals from the Safari, I was able to eek out six coppers ranging from George V to Elizabeth II, and a few brass cartridge cases.

Hopefully, I will do a return trip with the Q40 in a week or so and give it a swing over one or two areas that look as though the Q40 may just come into it's own there.

Chris Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 06:59:25 PM »

That’s what you call enthusiasm Chris. Well done. At least you managed to winkle out a few coins.
I tried the NEL big Coil on mine and it didn’t last long. I sold it and made do with the stock Coil. My favourite was the sharp shooter. Small, light, easy to pin point and a real finder in the field or on the beach. I s’pose it’s down to personal choice and what sort of detecting you want to do. It must be very nice to find lots of things on a 6 hour session but at best I was only a leisure detectorist. Couple or three hours out in the nice weather with either a spectacular view or the sound of waves in the background. A few finds made the day for me.
Best of luck next time out.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:30:55 AM by Val Beechey » Logged

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 11:14:11 PM »

Thanks Val!  Smiley

bodybuilder27
Rally attendee

Equinox

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 08:49:26 AM »

Never mind the weather...I went to Barry beach a few days ago and pulled a gold ring off there and about 10 coins in an hour....and that was -1c and 1am..lol

Matt.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal