Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lorry driver, 30, is stunned after digging up a medieval bishop's 20-carat gold  (Read 3954 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: January 03, 2018, 12:35:29 PM »

By Harry Pettit   Published: 14:47, 2 January 2018 

An amateur treasure hunter has unearthed a 15th century bishop's ring in a farmer's field in Yorkshire.

Lorry driver, Adam Day, 30, said he was 'shaking' when he made the discovery,  and that he immediately knew it was something special.

The 20-carat gold ring, engraved with St George as well as floral emblems, is thought to have once belonged to a bishop and is worth around £10,000 ($13,500).

The ring was found in a field near Beverley Minster in Yorkshire.

It is engraved with St George and St Catherine and features floral emblems.

The ring's fine decorative engraving and faceting suggest it was owned by a high-ranking official. 

It may have belonged to a bishop from Beverley Minster, and would have been commissioned, experts said.

Beverley Minster in Beverley, near Hull, is one of the largest parish churches in the UK.

Lorry driver Mr Day, who found the ring in a field near Beverley Minster in Yorkshire, said: 'I was shaking when I found it.

'It was quite close to the surface, not buried deep in the ground. It is engraved with St George and St Catherine and features floral emblems.

'Beverley Minster is nearby and it's likely the ring belonged to a priest from there. It dates back to between 1450-1550.'

The medieval artefact is expected to sell for around £10,000 ($13,500) at Hansons Auctioneers' Historica sale in Derbyshire on January 24.

Half of the money from the sale will go to the farmer who owned the land where it was discovered.

The 20-carat gold ring, engraved with St George as well as floral emblems (pictured), is thought to have once belonged to a bishop and is worth around £10,000 ($13,500)

Adam Staples, Hansons' Historica expert, said: 'It is a superb example of the craftsmanship of the time.

'Only high-ranking figures such as bishops or nobility would have been able to afford a ring of such high quality featuring fine decorative engraving and faceting.

'It may well have belonged to a bishop from Beverley Minster and would have been commissioned.'

Beverley Minster in Beverley, near Hull, is one of the largest parish churches in the UK.

Mr Day added: 'You can see Beverley Minster from the field where I found the ring.

'I have had some interesting finds before including a Bronze age flat axe and Celtic brooch but this is the best one yet.'

Last summer, a unique 15th century sweetheart brooch, believed to belong to English nobility and featuring similar floral patterns to the bishop's ring, sold for £20,800 ($28,000) at Hansons.

Mr Staples added: 'Medieval jewellery commands high prices due to its rarity, quality and rich historical value.'

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 03:16:45 PM »

Makes you wonder what journey carried it away from the Church.

Lovely lucky find. Thanks for posting Neil.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
wittsy1

Where am I?

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 04:18:38 PM »

Now that's a find and a half. Very nice indeed.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 05:41:04 PM »

Great find.

I drove very close to there yesterday (coming back down from Darlington where my in-laws are).

Despite asking them about all the farmers I have they know, they have yet to help because they think metal detecting isn't what I should be doing........

Beverley minster is a great place to visit - you can't even smell Hull from there Smiley  - would point out that if it isn't a cathedral, there isn't a bishop....... (and yes I know Bath sometimes has a bishop, but the bishop's seat is actually in Wells).
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 07:11:55 PM »

ummmm........shouldnt it be going in to treasure trove and not Hansons Auctions though Huh

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
rainyday

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 08:01:15 PM »

Very nice
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 09:40:28 PM »

I guess it had gone through the treasure process and was disclaimed Nobby ? Supprisingly  Huh

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal