Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Deus Versus ..?  (Read 3739 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« on: December 24, 2017, 01:25:51 PM »

Hi Guys, I thought this post mite create a bit interest in the form of opinions, and thus advice and experiance on your chosen machine.

Most of you on DW probably know I've used the Deus for a god few years and have plenty of experiance in the field and have tweaked the preset programs to suit my searching conditions in the fields to good effect . Some of my fields suffer due to lack of ploughing as do many of ours I guess, which ultimately effect the finds rate.

So here's my question, I know more finds are waiting just out of reach of the machine I use. What machine Would you try along side the Deus for comparison ........ Wink

dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 04:31:19 PM »

A ...JCB..!!... LOL 😀...Merry Christmas Paul, wishing you and your family a very happy Christmas and a prosperous new year..and good hunting👍..🎅🎅🎅
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 07:49:28 PM »

A ...JCB..!!... LOL 😀...Merry Christmas Paul, wishing you and your family a very happy Christmas and a prosperous new year..and good hunting👍..🎅🎅🎅
Got me there Chris that's one machine I never thought off...pretty sure the Mrs wouldn't let me have it on the drive.. ;DMerry Chrismas to you and family aswell, now get off to bed you know you won't get your presents untill your asleep LOL Wink
Greg

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 07:52:16 PM »

Here goes, I await the flack.

We have on a few of our club rallies buried a few objects at depth, it’s seems odd but the Deus, AT Pro and the Golden mask have similar results and all others have been very close.
The problem in finding a winner is that they have differing coil design/size and settings (especially the frequency).

Sucking eggs comes to mind, but it all comes down to the inverse square law (excluding PI machines)
So that all machines working on the IB (vlf) system will be limited by the above law.
For example if we test in air at 1” we get a return of 64 (this is an arbitrary figure and has no units, you could consider it a level of sound)
At 2” it would be 16
At 4” it would be 4
and at 8” it would be 1
You can now see that beyond that it would be start to become inaudible.
Now we move to mineralised soil and the above figures get reduced significantly.

To get deeper we could alter the frequency but that would depend on the target (silver coin or bronze buckle amongst other targets that have differing size shape and conductivity) or we could increase the power input but not many of us would want to carry a car battery around with us allday.

The bottom line is that most detectors have a limit of about 10” in soil and even to add 2” with current technology is next to impossible.

Off to the bunker now with my bottle of cheap sherry.
Merry Christmas 🎄

dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 08:56:04 AM »

Huh Huh Huh...now that explains it all !!..pass the sherry vicar !!..lol...🍻..😂
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 02:18:19 PM »

I've thought about having a Deus (I'd prefer the 11" coil version) plus my current go to of an ETRAC (with the ultimate coil).

In fact I had a similar combination for a while - the Deus was good at finding stuff in parks for me - and did find me a rolled up Henry VII penny.

The ETRAC (or any similar other ones in the range - I had the SE Pro before that) seems better in highly mineralised ground - and hopefully I'll be trying it on the beach soon enough - never got the chance to try the Deus on the beach.

Pretty much everything else I've used (apart from the T2) I've been disappointed with - I know I have a bad GM4 Pro (it's in pieces at the moment, can't decided whether to try and fault find as there doesn't seem to be an ICs on, or just use a large mallet) - don't like the single tone GM3+, don't like my Racer II very much, although it's had a sort of reprieve as it has found me some milled silver recently - using it in a hot area where my ETRAC with a much larger coil has pulled out hundreds of buttons and some hammereds, it was just rubbish. It doesn't seem to have any greater depth than my ETRAC although it does have a much greater affinity to spoons and forks - and iron of pretty much any sort.

I keep asking the guys in work if they can come up with a better detector (I work in electronics of a sort), but it's not their project so they are more interested in drones capable of flying humans.......

I found (as has been mentioned) that a larger coil made a difference - going from the stock Minelab coil to the ultimate made a dead field come alive again.

Would have liked to try out a blisstool - but they seem to have gone quiet. I personally think the biggest difference for detectors is the user - time, land and the ability to read signals / landscapes makes a huge difference - aside from some people being inordinately jammy (at least it seems that way on rallies sometimes!).

I'm still tempted every so often to get a Deus again - but I'd want the 11" version with remote (don't care about the headphones). and they aren't quite cheap enough second hand yet. Wouldn't mind a secondhand ctx 3030, although I don't know if they are really any more capable than ETRAC / Pro II, etc.....
Greg

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 03:22:21 PM »

Probono you have knocked it on the head, whatever the detector it’s:-   Quoting you  “the biggest difference for detectors is the user - time, land and the ability to read signals / landscapes makes a huge difference”
Well said.🎅🏽
You are also correct that some people are lucky 🍀 not me.
JBM

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 03:58:51 PM »

Have you tried the Xp Deus deep settings yet?

Seems to be getting myself and friends deeper items whatever the type of metal..

The Screen indicator reading is excellent Wink

Yesterday located a chaps lost main water supply brass "T" tap, from at least 14" down.

I was using the H/F coil  at 14 kHz.

Happy Xmas and full pouches in 2018. Smiley  Jerry.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 10:04:06 PM »

Have you tried the Xp Deus deep settings yet?

Seems to be getting myself and friends deeper items whatever the type of metal..

The Screen indicator reading is excellent Wink

Don't have a Deus at the moment. Can't really say that - using whatever the best 'deep' settings are for different detectors I've found much difference between detectors. - Bigger coil - yes more depth, no discrimination - some more depth - but it comes down to physics - being able to excite any small piece of metal so that when the field induced collapses, it gives out a strong enough signal to be detected over the noise of the (mineralized) ground to be detected about the general noise.

It is possible to clean signals using averaging and the like (that's part of my job actually, but looking at the various wavelengths of light emitted by an excited gas plamsa) - but I'm usually looking at changes that take place over a few seconds (even if I'm looking at a data point every 1/10th of a second or so). I suppose that might work better in a clean area with few signals, but I know quite a lot of detectorists are keen on the fast target separation of some machines - there's definitely a trade off here.
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 01:02:44 PM »

well for me its the explorer , tried the Deus for a short while but just didnt gell with it to be honest , had an etrac good tool but for me a bit over complicated , the soveriegn gt i owned and used for 18 months was a beast of a machine , simplicity to set up and use deep and sensitive and boring lol , back to the explorer i returned .

found plenty with the explorer over the years and wont change again unless a " miracle machine" is made

for me machine choice is very personal thing , each to their own i say , i will say though there are many factors that come into play when in the field as we all know , ground conditions minerals iron etc etc play a huge part in success or failure , oh and a bit of luck helps  Wink

happy new year to you all and happy hunting

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Greg

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »

Larger coils seem to have the reputation of going deeper, and i can understand some of the physics behind it, as the area it is trying to penetrate is larger. Using the same control output as for the smaller coil, it would have less flux density per square inch, and would require a larger deep target to return a signal, great for artefacts but sumwhat limited for small coins and the like. Unless the coil has a lot more windings making the coil heavier (not what we Detectorists want).
I think the function of the larger coil is to cover more ground per sweep, but as above I wander if it is the cost of sensitivity.
As for reducing discrimination to detect deeper, it is surely better to use a PI machine.

Happy New Year and more sherry 🍷
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 02:12:28 PM »

Larger coils seem to have the reputation of going deeper, and i can understand some of the physics behind it, as the area it is trying to penetrate is larger. Using the same control output as for the smaller coil, it would have less flux density per square inch, and would require a larger deep target to return a signal, great for artefacts but sumwhat limited for small coins and the like. Unless the coil has a lot more windings making the coil heavier (not what we Detectorists want).
I think the function of the larger coil is to cover more ground per sweep, but as above I wander if it is the cost of sensitivity.
As for reducing discrimination to detect deeper, it is surely better to use a PI machine.

Happy New Year and more sherry 🍷

sorry greg totally disagree there mate much prefere port  Grin Grin

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Detectski

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »

Deus vs Equinox? Maybe a bit early to say, but we should know in a few months..

I'm interested in the equinox's performance when the target is close to iron, this is where my Safari seems to struggle to pick it out when I test it (despite various settings). The lighter weight is also interesting  Wink

Never really fancied a Deus, looks a bit flimsy and apparently they like the coke. I had a C-Scope that liked the coke, it had to go because of that.. 
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 06:04:46 PM »

Well,my only comment on the subject is of my own experience with my beloved MAKRO racer(original)
Although the basic stock coil on the "racer"s very good in most respects it was a little lacking on the depth I was achieving with the Minelab "Safari"..so..doing a bit of home research  was reading that the Makro Racer had much improved depth capabilities with h the addition of a MARS "TIGER" coil...and to my absolute delight and somewhat surprise what I had read about was absolutely true.
My detector was now achieving far,far greater depths than ever before...and I'd even go as far as achieving greater depths Han the very well respected Minelab Safari.
No mathematical calculations or formulae needed,just the  addition of a Mars "TIGER" coil.
Thanks for reading..and good hunting to you all.👍
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 08:16:37 PM »

Detectski,  have you thought about the NEL Sharpshooter for the Safari on your ‘junky’ sites.
I bought one  when I had my Safari and I loved it, it was the bees knees between the junk and on the beach.
You do sacrifice coverage but what a difference. Depth and discrimination were greatly enhanced. Also great for getting into small areas such as rocky outcrops and in between stalks, bushes etc.
Gary’s Detecting has a good review. Worth a read. He was also very impressed.

PS  pin pointing was never easier
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:00:29 AM by Val Beechey » Logged

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal