Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unusual Roman Brooch  (Read 10725 times)
wagis
NWDD Member

gravity always gets me down

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2017, 07:05:21 PM »

Glad it's been identified it helps you a lot and well done again
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »

Hi guys, the brooch is with the FLO, I have just heard it is earlier than I thought....It is (Iron Age) a Birdlip Brooch, and dates to 45 BC although some can be up to 50 AD.. Not many are recorded or found for that matter, this one being one of if not the best, just thought you would be interested as it had a lot of interest....Spikey. Wink  

Great result Paul id take Celtic over Roman any day.

Iv never heard of a Birdlip brooch before, do they think that was the place they were made or is it called that due to its appearance? its very unusual.
When I here the word Birdlip I think of the stunning Celtic mirror found there, its worth a look if you haven't seen it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 07:09:32 PM by Dale » Logged
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2017, 07:19:11 PM »

Looking on the PAS the Birdlip brooches are thought to be British variants of the Continental Flugelfibel brooch.
I still cant believe how many complete brooches you find I never seen one complete Birdlip brooch on the PAS lol.........Nice find Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 09:04:13 PM »

Hi Dale, yes they are British variants as you have pointed out, it's a pleasing brooch to hold and all the more for being complete. As you say the PAS brooches are no where near the same condition so it makes it a bit of a rarity. Can't answer as to why I find so many complete intact brooches, clumsy Romans in the first instance for losing them   Grin coupled with skilfull tractor drivers for avoiding there destruction....Lol......Oh and I guess a bit of luck chucked in. Wink Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2017, 09:25:29 PM »

Not to mention the sort of 'soil' you find them in Paul. Unfortunately the majority of detectorists have loamy, peaty or heavy type soils to detect. These are, of course very acidic and don't leave much to find or ID.
Youre lucky, in one respect, to have a mixture of well drained, chalky, flinty fields as well as loamy ones to detect. Harder to work but better preserved finds. (You're welcome to shout at me if I'm wrong)  Kiss

Keep the pics coming. Always a treat to see your finds.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2017, 08:58:53 PM »

Not to mention the sort of 'soil' you find them in Paul. Unfortunately the majority of detectorists have loamy, peaty or heavy type soils to detect. These are, of course very acidic and don't leave much to find or ID.
Youre lucky, in one respect, to have a mixture of well drained, chalky, flinty fields as well as loamy ones to detect. Harder to work but better preserved finds. (You're welcome to shout at me if I'm wrong)  Kiss

Keep the pics coming. Always a treat to see your finds.

Can't imagine having to shout at you Val  Kiss joking aside you are of course correct I am lucky the county I search mostly is kind to objects, I do feel for detectorists who unfortuantly have to put up with acidic, poor draining soils. If it was me i would move house.... Roll Eyes Pop a few things up from the field the Noble come from tomorrow ok.. Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2017, 05:55:46 PM »

Looking on the PAS the Birdlip brooches are thought to be British variants of the Continental Flugelfibel brooch.
I still cant believe how many complete brooches you find I never seen one complete Birdlip brooch on the PAS lol.........Nice find Wink

Hi Paul,

Looking through some Celtic plate photos I have I came across this!!
Most are found local, the one on the left was found in Birdlip, Gloucestershire im 99% sure its a grave good
along with the Celtic Birdlip mirror.
Im guessing this is how your brooch got its name.

I got the wrong quote above  Grin Undecided    

* Birdlip Glos.jpg (349.74 KB, 1333x945 - viewed 516 times.)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 06:02:45 PM by Dale » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal