Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Santa Hats Rally - Live finds on Facebook page!  (Read 6880 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: December 04, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »

I am going to try something new at the Santa Hats Rally this coming Sunday and ask members to post their finds live from the field to the Detecting Wales Facebook page. Its simple to do and there is no resizing of photos and it will help to get a picture of the days finds.

I hasten to add that I will still be photographing finds and writing a report at a later date.

Be great if you could all get involved.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/73989511441/

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 10:44:42 AM »

Hi Neil,yes its a good idea for those that use the modern media of "Facebook"..and I totally appreciate that things move on...but some of us don't want to use this or indeed want to know how to use this type of media.
Just thought I had to speak up for us oldies !!...but nevertheless I do appreciate all your hard work..and for that we thank you....👍
Greg

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 03:42:30 PM »

Total agree Facebook a step too far for me.
Slug on the superhighway.
jonty

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 07:18:36 PM »

Your proposal is ambitious Neil, but I have grave reservations about getting members involved with Facebook. I believe dingdong's and Greg's comments to be spot on. Facebook can be a curse, like an addictive drug on the internet.
When I joined the Cardiff Scan Club about eight years ago, the forum was very active, with posts on rallies, finds, new sites and even fierce arguments that caused members to resign from the club. Fairly recently the committee saw fit to sign the club up to Facebook, and what has happened since? Currently not a single post for fifty seven days. However reports on rallies, finds etc. are a plenty on Facebook.
This is of course just my opinion, but I do not want to be coming back in a few months time saying " I told you so".

dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 08:14:34 PM »

Many thanks for your very supportive views "Jonty"..and on continuance of my lament against "face(less),book !!... I remember when I was first accepted on the Detecting Wales forum I really felt that I had joined and  anchor to my then very new hobby of metal detecting...and it has proven to be a wealth of very constructive and educational benefits since day one.
Many of the members have helped me with the identification of my finds,also a vast majority of the members who I have liaised with over the years I will never actually ever meet up with...but I would truly miss all the banter and camaraderie i have built up over the years...to do this on this new so called super highway would not be achievable,as it's as good as a "one view selfie"...no discussion,no nothing !
Half of the fun of the traditional way of posting pictures of your finds deciding which photo to download,and actually learning the procedure of downsizing the photo,and actually seeing your efforts on the screen...and if an old "git"like me can do it I'm sure that up and coming members will be able to sort it out,and why you may ask..!! Well it's because it's the way it's done on the Detecting Wales forum.
So,please can we retain all the old valued,tried and trusted values...and please remember the old fable of the hare and the tortoise..let's take our time and enjoy the pleasure of traditional posting...because it's a very well tried and tested forum..
This is only a personal opinion,and all my comments are purely only put on for debate and discussion.
Thanks for reading,and good hunting..👍

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 09:39:54 AM »

Chaps - You are all missing the point by a country mile. Its only an option to post finds 'live from the field' on Facebook. We have had the Facebook page for over four years now and 680 people have decided to join it, so it obviously appeals to some people.

There are several other detecting groups who post Rally finds live and to be honest it can be quite exciting seeing what is coming in and where the hotspots are. Plus from a Rally Report writing perspective I will have a lot more material to work with and it will mean I don't spend half the day taking photographs.

Life is about options. If you have no interest in going on Facebook that's absolutely fine, but other people do, well there were 1,754,000,000 active users in March 2017!

DW as a forum will remain as it is, although social media has had an enormous impact on this forum and all forums. We don't even have a tenth of the posts or traffic that we used to have in the glory days, but rest assured chaps the forum is staying as it is for the time being.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 05:59:24 PM »

Neil...I totally understand here your coming from...BUT..is the forum deteriorating in membership due to the "selfie "attitude that this type of media generates?
It is a great pity,and if that's the way it is then so be it..but I for one will not feel the same when I  and others are  trying to maintain standards and keep procedures which have been well respected and observed  and which have proven very successful over  many years.
And I will feel from now on that I'm just another old bloke trying to withstand change,but maybe my enthusiasm is going  to dwindle,I know it's my choice entirely.
So I'll leave it here...for now..😞 !!
P.S.How many older people does it take to decry Neil ?...until membership drops even further !!...just a thought !! Huh
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 11:08:50 AM »

I can remember the same arguments being used by clubs when this forum started. Facebook is just another platform and likely to kick start a younger generation into this great hobby.

Great idea Neil.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 11:43:10 AM »

I agree Neil/Rob the post has been totally misunderstood by some, the suggestion was to use as an aid not to replace.
Would have been good to see updates as they happen and unlike popular belief not all "oldies" are against Facebook
i am almost 72 and use the site regularly as a useful addition to the traditional forums.
Although its down to individual choice i wouldnt say no just because it didnt suit me...
There is most surely a place for both....PaulB.

Greetings from the Dragon.
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 04:46:34 PM »

OK....then no further conversational comments from me on the subject. I'll just sit here  and accept it.but may i add this thought, surely making comments,observations and opinions is the fundamental purpose of any forum !! Huh Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:01:35 PM by dingdong » Logged
Chainsaw Bampy

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 12:03:15 PM »

I think its a really good idea to show finds as and when they are unearthed, and as we all know fb is not perfect [what is ]  but ideal for promoting/advertising any clubs, I look forward to seeing the live pics of the finds as I am sure most people will.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 03:57:18 PM »

I've been on this forum for at least five years now (I think!) - and only realised there was a Facebook page in the last month!

As to the scan club forum - I never really used it as I found it quite clunky compared to this one (or indeed GDC) - although I'd still prefer to use a forum like this for longer discussions / understanding of finds and rallies.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal