Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 500-year-old coin that may have been dropped by one of Richard III's soldiers  (Read 7264 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: November 27, 2017, 12:51:23 PM »

Michelle Vall, from Blackpool, was detecting close to Bosworth Field when she dug up the old coin called a half angel. 

It is now set fetch £15,000 ($20,000) at Dix Noonan Webb's auction of coins, historical medals and paper money on 13 December.

Ms Vall, 51, made the rare discovery in Monks Kirby, Warwickshire, during a charity detecting rally in  September.

The teaching assistant said: 'After detecting for two and a half hours in a farmer's field I got a signal.

'The coin was deep down, about 16 inches below the surface, and the soil there is thick clay so it took a bit of digging out.

'I spotted this glint of gold in the hole, although I obviously did not know exactly what it was at first.

'I put it in the palm of my hand and then I went back to the organiser's tent. One of them identified it and people became very excited.

The half angel was a gold coin roughly two centimetres in diameter and weighing just under three grams. It was introduced in 1472 during the reign of King Edward IV.

Angels and half angels continually fluctuated in value under the reigns of several kings before they were abolished and replaced by Guineas by King Charles II in 1663.

Michelle Vall, from Blackpool, was detecting close to Bosworth Field when she dug up the old coin called a half angel. It is now set fetch £15,000 ($20,000) at Dix Noonan Webb's auction of coins, historical medals and paper money on 13 December

Experts speculate the gold coin may have been dropped by one of Richard's soldiers fleeing the pivotal Battle of Bosworth Field in 1485

BATTLE OF BOSWORTH FIELD

The Battle of Bosworth Field was fought on 22 August 1485.

It marked the end of the thiry-year long Wars of the Roses between the Lancastrians and the Yorkists for the English throne in the latter half of the 15th century.

Lancastrian Henry Tudor defeated the last Yorkist King Richard III and started the Tudor dynasty, which ruled England for the next 118 years.

Ms Vall's discovery of the coin minted during Richard III's short two-year reign makes it a rare example and an exciting find for the detector who only took up the hobby two years ago.

She said: 'I have decided to sell it because it is too valuable to keep. I did not want to keep it in a cupboard.

'I feel very privileged that I have found something so precious and historic. The memory of that day, the excitement not just of myself but also of other detectorists, when I found that beautiful, tiny piece of historic gold will live with me for the rest of my life.

'I started detecting because I am a keen antique collector and walker and when I became aware that it is a popular activity and there are clubs you can join with like-minded people, I realised that it combines the best of both my passions.

Ms Valls goes detecting with her husband most weekends.

'It has improved my historical knowledge which I pass down to the children in the school where I work', she said.

Ms Vall, 51, made the discovery in Monks Kirby, Warwickshire, during a charity detecting rally in September. The teaching assistant said she had been detecting for two and a half hours

Christopher Webb, head of the coins department at Dix Noonan Webb, said: 'This is a very rare discovery that has miraculously survived in a Warwickshire field for more than five centuries.

'It's importance as a coin is enhanced by the tantalising possibility that it may have belonged to one of Richard's army whose defeat at Bosworth ended the Wars of the Roses and ushered in the Tudor dynasty.'

The Battle of Bosworth Field was fought on 22 August 1485.

It marked the end of the thiry-year long Wars of the Roses between the Lancastrians and the Yorkists for the English throne in the latter half of the 15th century.

Lancastrian Henry Tudor defeated the last Yorkist King Richard III and started the Tudor dynasty, which ruled England for the next 118 years.

* 4671AF1000000578-5092541-image-a-10_1510935776877.jpg (135.46 KB, 634x640 - viewed 960 times.)

* 4671AEFC00000578-5092541-image-a-22_1510936099056.jpg (193.76 KB, 634x951 - viewed 981 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Chainsaw Bampy

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 07:11:04 PM »

what a cracking find.  once in a lifetime probably, but a dream for most of us,  well found girl.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 07:16:44 PM »

Well done the finder. Fantastic.

Bet that’s one bit of gold you wouldn’t mind having Neil . Wink. Thanks for posting.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
wagis
NWDD Member

gravity always gets me down

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 08:24:50 PM »

What a beautiful find, I have not heard of one before. wow
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 08:38:42 PM »

Many thanks for posting Neil,great story to read..Well isn't that what we all go in search of  in the hope of finding !!😁
PS:Bosworth field ...isn't in the right location,as the actual battle is now thought to be nearly a quarter of a mile from the attributed hallowed battle field.
(Time Team special)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 03:36:46 PM by dingdong » Logged
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 08:58:18 PM »

A lovely (and rare) find.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 09:23:31 AM »

"Wow" what a find, and so perfect. Very lucky not to have been damaged by the plough! 

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 12:09:37 PM »

stunning find well searched
Mitchy
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 03:43:37 PM »

Hello. Can i just say a thank you to your members for posting your comments about my coin. I was a little disheartened when i started to recieve not so nice comments and your words have made me feel better. Thanks again.
Michelle
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 07:34:20 PM »

Not so nice comments? Sour grapes perhaps?  Wink

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Andre

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 10:08:53 PM »

Well done 👍 Michelle!Dream find!
16”inches,that’s super deep.
What machine do you currently use and how did it sounded like?
Thanks for showing
Mitchy
Rally attendee

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 10:10:10 PM »

Who knows, maybe. Huh
Mitchy
Rally attendee

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 10:18:05 PM »

Evening Andre
Thank you. I was out with my At pro with Nel Tornado coil.  The signal was a soft sound not a blasting one like an old penny. In fact the field was that quiet, thats probably the reason why i heard it . Number came up at positive 65. Cant believe how deep it was myself, my detector still does it now, im always digging for Britain. 
What detector r u using.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 06:35:35 AM »

Didn't you get any flack for digging beyond the depth of the plough and into the subsoil or as all that gone by the wayside; like so much hedge fodder?  Wink

Andre

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 06:37:15 AM »

Thanks for replying Michelle,I use a Fisher F44 with a detech ultimate 13” coil and the 11” elliptical coil.I always ask about machines to see if it’s time to buy another one,like if
other machine set ups would go a bit deeper.Mine finds me stuff,specially small silver but only goes past 10” if it’s a big target and they usually are iron like horse shoes.
I’m so used to it and I never tried or been with someone with a different one to compare.
I suppose it’s also a fact that you need a bit of luck and to be on the right spot.
I still think that 16” it’s a very good depth.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal