Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie detector  (Read 7305 times)
Bongatom
Rally attendee

« on: November 16, 2017, 07:47:41 PM »

Hello,
Im a Newbie just thinking of buying a detector, about £250 max , either new or 2nd hand. As I live near the coast can anyone suggest a detector that would be good on wet sand?
I've been looking at the Garrett euro or 250, but opinions say they are not too good on wet sand?
Thanks
Bling (mark)

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:15:45 PM »

That would be a mk1  makro racer red mate.Easy setup works on beach very well also deep in land you'll find them for your money good luck.

Soveriegn xs2 pro / goldmaxx power v4 /makro racer
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 08:43:41 PM »

Hi Bongatom, welcome to the Detecting Wales forum..its the best place to enhance your chosen hobby of Metal detecting.
Any,in answer to your question,..As a long user of the MAKRO RACER (red) I have to agree 100% with Mark(Bling)...I've owned two "racers" so far and I see no reason to change.
Like yourself,I also live near to the beach as well as having pasture permissions.
The MAKRO RACER red is really impressive on both land and wet black salty sand.
It's very easy to use,and very reliable.
I have owned a Garrett "euro Ace" and it was not impressive to use on the beach,in fact pretty unimpressive.
Anyway,good luck with whatever you choose.
Good hunting..👍
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 04:16:17 AM »

Hi Bongatom,
                       welcome to the forum. It sounds to me like the above advice may be well worth following up on, and doing a little more investigation into the Racer.

I have been detecting for a number of years now and done most of it on beaches. I have owned and used several machines and found each to be most interesting in use.

Maplin's machines; little better than cheap toys!

Garrett EuroAce proved to be a superb little machine on both farmland and dry sand but as you already said, it isn't the best on wet saline beach sand. I found loads of stuff with my EuroAce on pasture and dry sand.
The EuroAce brought me gold & silver on the dry sand and a couple of hammies on pasture. I kept it as a backup machine for several years and was sad to finally part with it.

C-Scope CS4PI, an induction machine, that worked superbly well on both dry and wet saline beach sand but couldn't tell the difference between a gold ring and a steel washer.

I am presently swinging a MineLab Safari, but that is something of an other story. If I were starting out again now, I would probably give the Makro Racer a go. If you can get your self along to a local club, you will get to see plenty of different machine and learn some of their foibles and finds. Although the club may have full membership and a waiting list, I imagine that they would welcome you as a guest to one of their meetings to give you the opportunity get some face to face advice.

Plenty of advice on here though!

Chris Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Bongatom
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:09:13 PM »

Thanks all, very informative.
None of my google searches have mentioned a Makro racer. I'll definitely look into it!
What do you think of a X Terra 705? There's one on ebay
Bling (mark)

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 10:27:41 PM »

Makro racer much better on wet sand.  I once owned 705 fab detector on land not so good on wet sand makro a little easier on setup.

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 07:12:30 AM »

Wet saline beach sand upsets an awful lot of detectors! ( and detectorists )  Wink

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 08:46:44 AM »

Gotta say though " still consider the old Minelab Sovereign GT to probably be the best wet sand detector ever devised...its just that you need a block & tackle to carry it !!.. LOL 😰!!
(Especially if yer an olden like me !!.. LOL 😁!!)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 11:35:07 AM by dingdong » Logged
Bling (mark)

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 09:27:10 AM »

Good shout off dingdong I've also got the older minelab sovereign xs2 impossible to beat on beach.

Bongatom
Rally attendee

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 06:22:48 PM »

OK. Lots to think about.
I'm really looking at 2nd hand just incase I dont get on with the hobby.
Ive certainly enjoyed researching things so far though!
It looks like my choice is between The Makro, X Terra, Safari, sovereign. It just depends on the best deal at the time.
A friend has recommended Minelabs for beaches but the makro sounds what I need from your kind advice.
Thanks
Bongatom
Rally attendee

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 09:35:57 PM »

Hi again,
I've done some research about the makro 1. Some reviews question  the build quality.  Do you have any views on this?
Is the mk2 a much better option?
Thanks
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 12:23:36 AM »

Hi Bongatom,I've now had two of the original racers(red)..an absolute pleasure to use,very light,very reliable,and even easier to master.
And yes initially there were problems with the very early Racer's that were out,not so much with the detector but with the coil lugs,and when it was realised hat there was a problem with the type of plastic used Makro used(sub contracted out) they replaced  every damaged inferior coil...free of charge..so no problem there.
Second,Makro decided to upgrade their racer as a natural progression...one being able to store any programming not available on the original,but I prefer to set my machine up on the day suited to the terrain I am detecting .and also a "deep" mode..which actually only meant that you pass the coil slower over the target,for this you were expected to pay a whole lot more money !!...(no need!!)
 So,in my mind the original MAKRO racer is a dream,and don't forget,the more buttons and whistles you have,the more you have to remember,
If you need any more information please PM me.
PS:I have found Roman fibula broach,Roman coins, medieval buckles...need I say more.
Anyway,good hunting,and good luck on whatever you decide.....👍
PS:As Mark suggests,the MAKRO RACER red with the addition of a Mars TIGER coil enhances the detectors capabilities even more !!.. phenomenal !!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:27:47 PM by dingdong » Logged
Bling (mark)

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 12:39:52 AM »

Same as above great quality machine bought with the coil upgraded .I find the sounds easier with the makro on land than  my sovereign   iron signals ext.

Bongatom
Rally attendee

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 06:51:25 PM »

Thanks all. Great advice, much appreciated.
Bongatom
Rally attendee

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 08:44:44 PM »

So, would you say, Racer, Sov 9ft or could I include a Safari in my search? I'll have to wait a while so am still  researching.
Thanks

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal