Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Quest Q40  (Read 5515 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: October 31, 2017, 06:48:39 AM »

Quite a stir about the Quest Q40 on some other sites. It appears to be creating something of a buzz, but I can't see that any of you guys or gals are reporting on the Q40.

Anyone on here using one of the new machines?

Chris Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 08:23:20 PM »

I see Leisure promotions are sold out due to popular demand Chris. Personally I can't see me hanging the Deus up lol......but look farward to some field research.  Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 09:15:48 PM »

It looks attractive and interesting to my old bones and I was wondering about perhaps trading off the Safari and going for a lighter machine but somehow was never attracted to the Deus though. Not knocking the Deus in any way at all!

I also saw that IP was out of stock for the Q40 but they appeared to be the only dealer offering hp at the moment. I could sell on the Safar and the extra coils to cover the costs but would have to be sure I wa doing the right thing. Spose it will take a lot of thought and just a little research.

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 11:29:46 PM »

Just a thought!!...when I was seeking the knowledge of a Detecting "Guru" namely Chef Geoff..when I was looking to upgrade my detector..the words of wisdom given was "let as easily led spend their well earned money on something untried...then and only then when ALL snags and imperfections have been ironed out..Then decide!!..and by that time the price will have possibly come down as well... anyway,good luck on whatever you choose to do......good hunting...👍

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 10:17:27 AM »

Thanks for the words of wisdom Chris; we applied the same principles before we bought our color tv, video recorder, and satellite systems.
Eventually zeroed in in on VHS and later SKY. Not the best of the systems but market demand dictated them to become the most popular and best prices.

I like the look of the Q40 and being in danger of not getting my licence renewed, it would be ideal for taking on public transport. Probably a lot easier to handle and swing for a couple of hours than my Safari. Nothing too wrong with the Deus but I just can't fancy it somehow! 

If I can get out again with the Safari this week, it might just convince me that it is time to rethink my detecting equipment rather than throwing in the towel all together. Sold off the EuroAce and three coils, and swapped off the CS4PI for a very nice break barrel air rifle. Only the Safari and all its supporting equipment left at the moment.

We also sold off our static caravan this week. An end of a era, I suppose!

Chris Smiley

dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 10:55:35 AM »

Hi Chris,great to hear that your still pressing on regardless with your Detecting.
Chris,if your considering a more lightweight detector take a look at the MAKRO RACER (red)..or mk 2)...great machines,very light,very easy to set up,and very acceptable performance on both land  and sand.
At one time I had a SAFARI...and off loaded it due to its weight etc.
When I came to re start the hobby it was an obvious choice to buy another "Racer"...and with the addition of a MARS TIGER coil...giving the detector even more exceptional depth.
Just a thought Chris,and good hunting 👍 (PS,How is your doing now? )
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 06:53:36 PM »

Just on our way out to dine at a local Indian restaurant with friends but will go easy on the alcohol. Collected up all my detecting gear and stacked it in the hall ready for an early start tomorrow morning.

Planning on driving down to Talacre and seeing if the sands have changed much since I was last down there. Popped the 14" ultimate on the Safari and charged up all the batteries; including my mobile phone and put fresh batteries in my hearing aids. The pigtail wire on the 14" ultimate is a wee bit slimmer than those on Nel Big and Snake coils and thus allows one to reduce the shaft right down to minimum for carriage. The pigtails on the Nel coils tend to bind in the shaft and stop you from reducing it down to minimum.

The new Widnes Runcorn bridge is great for traffic flow and as of yet no bother with queuing traffic, like the old Jubilee bridge. All being well I should be down there for dawn, detect close to the dunes till high water ( about 0900 ) and then follow the tide out till low water; but you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men.  Roll Eyes

ps..................is there a back light on the Makro Racer?

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 09:27:53 PM »

I think you might be surprised by the weight of the Safari after having a break. I always used to tease some of the members for being whimps moaning about the weight but Like you I had to have a 3 month break.
Thought my arm was going to drop off 1st time out and that’s when I had to admit,,,,,,this is a monster.
I went for the Deus and it was a pleasure to use. There wasn’t a lot of competition though. Now you’ve got a choice with Minelab joining in come December. Now there’s a thought. I reckon you could have the best of both worlds with their new kid on the block. Joan Allen are taking orders in advance (I believe) might be worth a look.
Hope you find something nice tomorrow.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 12:47:03 AM »

Hi Val,
           we just this moment got back from the curry house and have had a wonderful chatty evening with superbly presented Indian cuisine, with several free pots of coffee and a free whisky to finish up the evening. Just couldn't fault it!

I decided to pop the 14" Ultimate coil onto the Safari to try and keep the weight down but we shall see how I get on. I will have to have a good look round and   I know that Joan Allen tend to offer some good interest free terms on their detectors.

Thanks for the good wishes; perhaps you will bring me good luck!

Chris Smiley

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 08:06:05 AM »

Something of a fruitless mission at Talacre

Determined to see how I would get on with the Safari after having had something of a minor break from detecting, I swanned it down to Talacre yesterday but was met by very fine drizzling rain upon arrival. Despite there not being a particularly high tide predicted for Thursday, the gate to the beach car-park was locked and remained locked all day.

Waited fifty minutes for the light rain to blow over and then togged up before walking through to the beach, after parking along side the Sandancer Amusements. Headed east of the lighthouse and then worked my way back to the red beach flag but the best I could do was a one p decimal coin wrapped in some sort of tape, or bandage. By then the Safari was starting to feel quite heavy, despite having abandoned the Nel Big coil and fitting the 14" Ultimate.

I had given up trying to use my purpose made bungee harness not long after I bought it because I found it too restrictive on the detector swing arc. I had taken to using two bungee strips linked together and they worked quite well and balanced the Safari nicely, but on thursday I hadn't packed them in my bag!  Roll Eyes

Despite the bungee oversite I decided to soldier on and worked in a westerly direction, past the lighthouse, and on towards number three Norcon pillbox. Soft dry sand made progress hard going and coins were abundantly absent! In the areas where I would normally anticipate finding the odd decimal pound coin, there was zilch and the best I could do was one George VI Ship Halfpenny, one Elizabeth II Ship Halfpenny, and what may be a half p decimal.Oh, and plenty of scrap copper shards that fooled the Safari into thinking that they were coins.  Roll Eyes

Returning home via the new Runcorn/Widnes bridge was a doddle and the normally slow moving traffic cues were none existent. The problems really started when I came to get out of the car at home. Every joint and muscle didn't want to work and when they did, it was like trying to move through treacle, or a swamp; perhaps due to being out of shape, or maybe the statins the doc has me on.

So, from now on, Im going to ration my detecting time, only use the Safari with my home made bungee support and keep a very close eye on the progress of the Quest Q40 and the MineLab newcomer.

Chris  Cry

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:10:11 AM by Resurgam » Logged

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 02:24:45 PM »

Poor Chris but it’s always the same with you men. Too much too soon.
I don’t think the westerlies we’ve had have done the beaches any favours. Too much sand. We need a good old easterly to clear them.
Better luck next time and you’ll know better as well.  Wink Roll Eyes

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 05:46:16 PM »

Val, I just can't argue with you, and I know if I did I would only lose!  Wink

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 09:27:22 PM »

Of course you would  Grin

Jonnietaz

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 09:12:10 PM »

Hope this helps, having the Etrac, love the machine, but the weight has hit me hard, nearly gave up, but as my hunting time is much redused, few hours at a time, kept going, now the Queast 40, as my hunting time is redused, if its raining, no go, so having tried the old Queast pro, thought i would give the Q40 a go, its shower proof,66 rating, so bought one from Detectorbits, cant say enough about the dealer,Tony Hunt, my opinion about the Q40, well built, very fast recovery, easy to use, works the Beach, thats all i do, weight, not as light as i thought it would be, still need a sling, air tests are excellent, it does like coke, but still learning it, and you can talk to the owner Jason on the Queast user site on Facebook,one more thing, i had the old Queast pro, which had a fault, bought from Leasure Promotion, warrenty nearly up, Leasure Promotion didnt want to know, so emailed Queast about the fault, two weeks later a Brand new control unit, sent direct from Hong Kong.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 09:39:07 PM »

Many thanks for the informative post and also the education. I hadn't realised the the Quest machines were Chinese and I have just received an email from "Leisure Promotions" saying that they now have the Q40 back in stock.

I'm pretty sure that I will be investing in a Q40 machine but am presently trying to get enough cash together to make the purchase but would love to find a company that does terms; one of which is "LP" ! 

I read that Tony Hunt and his dealership is very well spoken of by many on some other detecting forums. I could of course sell off my Safari and would have more than enough cash to cover the purchase of the Q40 but having already swapped off my CS4PI and sold off my EuroAce and it's extra coils, I am reluctant to say bye bye to my Safari and it's additional coils just yet.

Oh, what a dilemma!  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal