Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest Q40 strikes again.  (Read 1914 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: November 25, 2017, 07:02:44 AM »

Keen to get out and try my new detecting acquisition on pasture, after a rather uneventful session on Talacre sands the other week, I had decided to put a morning in on one of my small permissions on Thursday but was put off by the weather and took the Mrs shopping in stead.

With Friday promising a drier wind free day, I decided to drag my self out of a nice warm bed and brave the dawn yesterday. I chose to introduce the Q40 to a paddock where I have recovered a considerable number of coins from. The first twenty pounds worth of spendable decimal coins and a small 1877 scandinavian coin  I gave to the lady land owner and the next £20 are to be my battery money.

Well, all togged up and entering the paddock at the crack of dawn, I was pleased to have the backlight on the Q40 control unit. I commenced detecting and worked an area a little larger than a cricket wicket, were I had eked out most of the earlier coins.

Started off rather quietly and I was beginning to wonder if the Safari had hoovered up all the existing coins from the area during previous visits. I then began to think that the Q40 wasn't doing it's job properly and tried several of the prefixed programs before settling for coin mode and then she came alive and started to sniff out targets one after the other.

She appeared to love bottle tops, ring pulls, pull tabs, and crushed aluminium drinks cans but also began to find some coins that I had missed whilst swinging the Safari in exactly the same area. By lunch time I had just over twenty
coins in my finds bag, including seven old £1 coins, two two shilling pieces, and one 1/2 p decimal. Nothing older than Elizabeth II turned up but I did, at one point, think I had a hammy in my grasp, only to discover that it was a small lump of crushed silver paper.  Angry

It's just a great pity that the £1 coins were not the new ones!  Roll Eyes

Chris Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »

Sounds good. I think that sometimes with new machines you dig targets that you would have discounted with your old machine - I recently did that with my Makro II (to give a bit of a chance in areas I have dug extensively) and came up with a Gothic Florin - very close to the surface - can only assume I discounted it before.

And you can still take the old pounds to the bank - although quite often they are a bit sniffy about accepting them - even when they were the only pounds....!
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »

Well found Chris. A bit better than the beach even if you can’t spend any of them.
Need to be patient for those new coins.  Wink

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 04:06:33 PM »

Congratulations Chris on your stamina and fortitude for getting motivated to go metal detecting on a cold damp,and miserable morning .
But obviously the "finds God's" were there at you side...!!..you certainly did as Mr Kipling would have said" exceedingly" well.lol😁 !!
Pleased to hear that your new toy is all that you expected,and hopefully much more to come.
Did you manage to sort out the problems regarding your headphones switching off ?
Good hunting....👍

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 10:50:11 PM »

Thanks for the very encouraging replies folks, the Q40 is also starting look encouraging as well and as Chris (Dungbeetle) used to say..........the more we practice, the luckier we will become!  Wink

Cleaning out my finds bag this morning I found a £1 coin in the bottom amongst the dirt and low and behold (when cleaned) it was a spendable
one  Shocked

Not sure what caused the wireless headphones to turn off yet but am beginning to wonder if it may be due to bluetooth interference from nearby phone users. One or two other Q40 owners have had the same thing happen with their wireless headphones. I have flagged it up with Quest, as an observation, but not a complaint!

As for missing coins, I am beginning to wonder if it can be a directional thing, or even a change in the angle of coin presentation to the coil. I recall finding my very first hammy and the signal repeatedly disappeared and reappeared in the spoil heap. Even my ProPointer lost and regained it several times but determination eventually brought out an Elizabeth I silver sixpence and I learned what all the fuss was about over hammies!  Grin

The smallest permission that I have is an Alpaca paddock
 ( thought they were Lamas! )  and the Safari just goes crazy if I approach the perimeter fencing, so perhaps the Q40 with it's smaller coil will take me right up to the foot of the fencing? The owner of the paddock has suggested that I also try the small wood next door. I could possibly do both on the same day. 

Chris Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal