Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: One For The Beach  (Read 4773 times)
roughneck

T2 SE

« on: June 22, 2017, 03:40:50 PM »

As I live a fair distance from the nearest beach and cannot consider spending £50+ on a sand scoop I've been thinking of ways to make one, and this is what I came up with.  All materials were sourced from my shed except for the stainless steel asparagus pot which was used for the scoop after drilling lots of 10mm holes in it.  An old crutch served as the handle and was riveted to the pot.  Then an extra bracket was added for support and a bit of pipe lagging for the handle.  It seems sturdy enough so job done.  It looks good, but the proof is in the pudding, so I will try it out on the beaches of Cornwall whilst on a weeks holiday.  (I'll have my trusty spade in the car, just in case!!).  Just hope the sun keeps shining for a while longer so the Mrs can relax whilst I explore (with the Deus) the beaches.
Happy Digging!!  Tom.

* IMG_1140.JPG (124.44 KB, 640x480 - viewed 749 times.)

* IMG_1139.JPG (72.82 KB, 640x480 - viewed 755 times.)

* IMG_1138.JPG (72.02 KB, 640x480 - viewed 735 times.)
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 04:41:30 PM »

Great job on the scoop Roughneck...and even better as you saved quite a few quid.
Have a great summer break down there in Cornwall...some great beaches to detect on...
But remember to go very early morning...!!!
Good hunting..👍
P.S.....Have a safe and great journey there......and back...👍😉
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:13:59 AM by dingdong » Logged
roughneck

T2 SE

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 10:34:44 AM »

Cheers Dingdong, me and the Mrs looking forward to a short break from Grandparent duties. We love Cornwall, been heading south for 40+ yrs now.  The beaches are fabulous, nice walks and a time to chill out.  Yipee!!!
And as you say, ''hit the beaches early for a bit of detecting''.  Happy Digging!!!  Tom.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 04:11:19 PM »

Should be ok in dry sand Tom. Not sure on the wet mate ? Theres a lot of strain on handle to scoop area. Also salt water will corrode the crutch handle and weeken. Im not knocking your great efforts its just i done similar scoops early days of detecting from light weight dry scoops to heavy gauge wet sand. Riley gold scoops take some beating. All this said Im well jealous i love cornwall, have a good time and hope you get some goodies.....Paul.
roughneck

T2 SE

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:48:37 PM »

Thanks Paul.  I understand what you are saying. I'm definitely not going to rely on it.  The scoop is a one off, will only be tested on dry sand and will probably never be used again after this holiday, and I'll definitely have my spade in the car as back up.
Just like you and many others, I love Cornwall, it is a county that has everything on offer for the perfect summer break.  Really looking forward to it.  I'll post results of the scoop usage, good and (could be) bad. Cheers.  Tom.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 07:15:15 AM »

Look farwad to some Bling Tom... Wink with the recent hot weather the beaches should have fresh losses.  Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 06:30:52 AM »

Looks good m8 and it will probably do sterling service on dry sand, for shallow targets. It also looks to be nice and light.

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal