Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: French Revolution LOUIS XVI coin  (Read 1490 times)
spaceonwhite

« on: June 10, 2017, 09:18:25 PM »

Whilst out detecting on pasture land earlier this morning, I dug up this LOUIS XVI ROI DES FRANCOIS coin dating from the early 1790's. Whilst being an unusual coin to dig up in Welsh soil, it isn't in great condition (the clear version of the coin I've just taken off the web to show what it should look like).

Now normally I would just add this to my collection and that would be that. However, whilst trying to identify the coin, I realised it was a LOUIS XVI ROI DES FRANCOIS coin but couldn't find any other example which had the writing across the middle. This confused me for quite sometime until I had the light buld moment and realised the coin had actually been milled twice accidentally so the text that runs across the middle is actually the text that should run along the edge of the coin. On the bust side of the coin, whilst it's not easy to see in the photo, it also has the imprint on this side of writing running across the middle of the bust, which shouldn't be there.

So I'm starting to wonder if even though the coin is in poor condition, it must be a one of a kind due to the error in the production and therefore collectable but I'm unsure. Does anyone have any thoughts if it's worth exploring to see if it could be valuable?

* IMG_4926.JPG (304.64 KB, 850x859 - viewed 181 times.)

* IMG_4925.JPG (378.11 KB, 850x858 - viewed 174 times.)

* Unknown.jpg (10.01 KB, 318x159 - viewed 183 times.)
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 09:53:09 PM »

It looks like base metal.....im thinking contep forgery.....perhaps a practice coin trying to get the strike right?

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 09:16:30 PM »

I fairly recently found a William III shilling that has an unusual mis-strike - it was struck, then rotated and shifted and then struck again.

I've found an example online that is similar to mine which was valued at £!00 or so, when the coin by itself would be £40-£50, probably.

As  your coin was struck during revolutionary times, there are going to be more mis-strikes than when coins were struck carefully - just look at some of the badly struck Chas I halfcrowns you can see on eBay and elsewhere.

So, yes your coin would be a little more valuable (especially as it seems to be a flip strike), but as these coins are <<£10 in reasonable condition (they were a type I bought as a student because they were cheap!) then yours doesn't have a great value, but it is still interesting numismatically and for you, finding it in Wales (although of course the French did try and land in was it 1797?)..
spaceonwhite

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 09:03:04 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

That's really interesting Probono and suspect you're right. To be honest, it's just nice finding an unusual find that's interesting to research and add to the collection  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal