Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Unusual Roman Brooch  (Read 10722 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« on: May 09, 2017, 08:18:58 PM »

Hi guys, here's a little cracker from yesterday. It appears to be a Dolphin Type so I would say around the the 1st cent AD, and may be early 50-60 AD....especially as it has a bit of Celtic influence I feel?

One question the animal type figure on the bow, I think a bull ?.......Or is it, your opinions welcome as I can not find a parallel.

* 003.JPG (142.3 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 556 times.)

* 015.JPG (88.71 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 520 times.)

* 023.JPG (74.46 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 525 times.)

* 032.JPG (125.04 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 891 times.)
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 09:22:47 PM »

What a wonderful artifact....well saved from the plough...i think you should describe yourself
as a curator as i think you could put a small museum to shame..... great detecting yet again......respect......PaulB.

Greetings from the Dragon.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 09:36:04 PM »

What a wonderful artifact....well saved from the plough...i think you should describe yourself
as a curator as i think you could put a small museum to shame..... great detecting yet again......respect......PaulB.
Hi Paul,thanks for your comments. Saved from the plough for sure, not so sure about the museum thou... Smiley Wink
jtalbot0001

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 11:52:35 PM »

That is one amazing brooch! Well found! Dolphin brooches design project outwards left and right on the spring end so look like a 'T' if that makes sense. Yours clearly does not. According to my cat yours would closely match the British Bow brooch (some examples show a single protruding design above) of the 1st century AD or, slightly less so, even be from the continent from the same era. Without having a multitude of books at hand yours could be unique. I think that is one that should definitely be recorded so it can go in the books Smiley Jon

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 09:01:19 AM »

Now that's a beauty!

Could it be three phallic items that's on the end. We all know how the Romans loved to wear and promote these images as signs of virility and good luck. Funny bunch!

Quality as always Mr Spikey!

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
relicron

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 09:18:12 AM »

Cracking find there paul,what a beauty,looks like a boar to me,well done again paul. Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »

That is one amazing brooch! Well found! Dolphin brooches design project outwards left and right on the spring end so look like a 'T' if that makes sense. Yours clearly does not. According to my cat yours would closely match the British Bow brooch (some examples show a single protruding design above) of the 1st century AD or, slightly less so, even be from the continent from the same era. Without having a multitude of books at hand yours could be unique. I think that is one that should definitely be recorded so it can go in the books Smiley Jon
Thanks Jon, I have all the Hattatt books, I've only flipped through them more time needed. I will take on board your comments and thanks for your input...FLO as you say  Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 01:08:23 PM »

Now that's a beauty!

Could it be three phallic items that's on the end. We all know how the Romans loved to wear and promote these images as signs of virility and good luck. Funny bunch!

Quality as always Mr Spikey!

Cheers
Neil
Cheers Neil, I never thought of a Willy Shocked Wink as you say they were into them.. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 06:58:56 PM »

Wow Paul that's a beauty. Probably one of the best I've seen you find.

My first thought was Zoomorphic. To me it looks like a dogs head. But maybe I'm  predudiced  Roll Eyes

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
wagis
NWDD Member

gravity always gets me down

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 08:11:30 PM »

That is one very unusual brooch, to me the top picture looks like a sea horse but definitely one for the flo. Well found there
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 08:12:41 PM »

Wow Paul that's a beauty. Probably one of the best I've seen you find.

My first thought was Zoomorphic. To me it looks like a dogs head. But maybe I'm  predudiced  Roll Eyes
Hi Val, I always look farward to your input on my posts and others on the forum. Yes you probably are predudiced I know you like your woof woofs  Wink
I have e mailed a picture to my FLO....let you know what he says....
I've had a couple more nice finds which I shall put up in a day or two, I don't want to Hogg DW... Wink Smiley
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 08:15:02 PM »

That is one very unusual brooch, to me the top picture looks like a sea horse but definitely one for the flo. Well found there
Yes I can see that wagis, especially the head of the brooch being ribbed...thanks for your input.
Hope to eventually get an ID some where... Wink
JBM

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 08:58:57 PM »

Great zoomorphic brooch.

The Romans had a fascination with animal features.

Well Saved.

Jerry.
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 01:07:05 PM »

Looks like a seahorse to me as well.

XP Deus user
Mungo

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 08:46:57 PM »

Cool WOW , that's a cracking find.........

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal