Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Safari help/advice please  (Read 1584 times)
rainyday

« on: April 03, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »

Any safari users in here?
I've probably put in about 10 to 15hrs so far on the safari and want to love it but so far I can't say I do.
I came from a xterra 705 and had knew the machine well by the time I upgraded.
I know there is a learning curve with the safari being an FBS machine.
I bought the book by andy sabisch as recommended by Val and have learnt a lot by reading it.
I have a few questions if someone could help please.
Is it normally for the machine to be chirping every couple of steps? I've tried auto sensitivity and also manual knocking ir down to 15 ish.
When I stop then and go over the area I get a broken signal, sometimes nulling as if it's a rejected target, is it normal to get the chirping, it's as if the machine is reading the target and chirps then decides it's a rejected and shuts up?
Also running it with little and plenty of discrimination doesn't make a Difference?
I've been trying it in coin and jewellery but with everything up to -4 knocked out and noticed and a couple of times I've had a high pitch tone only to dig Iron?
Anyone in the abergavenny area have a Safari?
Thanks
D
marknewbury1

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 02:20:53 PM »

R you ground cancelling after all settings are you beach or land
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 03:37:43 PM »

Are you also keeping your sweeps really slow and steady? Also; is the control box connection clean and firmly connected?

I tend to work with long sweeps, roughly to the count of four. I have found that my Safari hates to be swept quickly and signals after the coil has moved forward to the next sweep if moved too quickly, giving me the impression that it is giving a false signal. Slowly back tracking then gives the machine chance to zero in on the target and once again I remember to keep the sweeps slow and steady.

A slower speed also gives the machine the chance to decide on the worth of the target. It is pretty good on recognizing ring-pulls but is sometimes confused by old rusty iron. 

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 04:26:49 PM »

Hi ya Rainyday,sorry to hear your having "Safari" problems,...I go along 100%on what Resurgam said,as when i had my Safari i found i was getting virtually all he symptoms you seem to be having... Remember..LOW AND SLOW...And yes it does seem very frustrating after getting to grips with ith your previous machine.....I went from a GARRETT Ace 250 onto my SAFARI..And I'm afraid that i was experiencing the same problems as you discribe.
Unfortunately,i am not a very patient sort of bloke,and sold it on for a Nokta FORS CoRe...Great machine.ot saying that you should follow suit... I'm not suggesting that you follow suite ....The Minelab SAFARI is a very,very, capable detector,and let's face it Minelab have sold thousands of em worldwide,its just that you have to listen very very had to what the machine is telling you.....Good luck,and i hope you get it sorted .
P.S.... Check that the cable into the coil is water tight,also,remove the coil cover and make sure that there are no minute aluminium/metal particles,these can accumulate especially if the detector has been used n the beach.
Good hunting...👍

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 06:29:03 PM »

You could have some badly contaminated ground. I've been trying to remember what settings I used but my memory isn't what it used to be.
I do remember I could never get on with using the factory settings on the left which give you low tone is good, high tone is bad. I always detected using All Metal with more discrim. Something like -10, and - the top number (to stop wrap around from big iron)
Unfortunately I sold my manual with the machine so have no point of reference. You will get confusing signals from big rusty iron, also the shape causes false readings.
There's no doubt it is a hard machine to learn. When I bought mine a very wise man warned me it would take a year till I was comfortable with it. I scoffed but he was right.
It took a while to remember the first rule, LOW & SLOW.
Second rule, The three P's. Patience, Persistence and Perseverance. Also you could treat yourself to a NEL Sharp Shooter. Little coil, won't cover so much ground but pin points the goodies in between the iron much better than a big coil, don't be tempted by them.
If you can get to grips with it you'll love it, it's a great machine for the money.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
rainyday

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 06:29:55 PM »

Thanks all for the advice, I'm trying to make an effort to slow down  Wink
I checked the coil cover yesterday but not the connector, I will do that now.
I went back out to a local field I have permission on tonight, I've had a fair few copper coins and one silver from with the xterra.
I thought I would try it in all metals just to see how bad the trash was in the field, well it didn't shut up, I think think the field is infested with iron, maybe the xterra coped better with this plus I'm used to it?
I used the safari on the beach 2 weekends ago and it was amazing, nice and stable resulting in me finding a silver band ring.
Thanks again lads
D
Ps yes ground balancing often
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 06:44:27 PM by rainyday » Logged
rainyday

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 04:39:29 AM »

Update,
I went to a different field/location last night and the safari was a lot more quite, how I expected it to be.
Conclusion, I think the other place must be infested in iron.
Thanks again all for the advice
D

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal