Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard pressed farmers!  (Read 2515 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: March 04, 2017, 07:39:55 AM »

As if our hard pressed farmers didn't have enough problems to cope with, there is now a growing threat from sheep worrying by uncontrolled dogs.

One North Wales farmer recently tweeted pictures to try and raise public awareness of the problem. What can we all best do to help?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 01:40:54 PM by Resurgam » Logged

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 09:34:45 AM »

As far as dogs are concerned I cease to be amazed at the lack of responsibility of some owners.
I now have 3 dogs and walk them every day. Like many members I live in a very rural area but there is only one place I ever let them loose and that's the beach. I know that even though my 'pack' are the sweetest, friendliest you could wish to meet they think it's great fun to suddenly bark at sheep as we pass and send them running. If they were loose they would chase.
For thier own safety I keep them on extending leads because even the most trust worthy dog can and will do the unexpected when they see other animals. Not always with a malicious intent but because they see a pack and want to join them.
It's a huge problem and not easy to address.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 10:44:27 AM »

Hi Val,
               I was thinking that so many of us spend a great deal of time on farmland we can be early extra eyes and ears for farmers, particularly during lambing times and perhaps we could even offer to do a bit of sheep watching.

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 03:03:48 PM »

Re: Resurgam. Always done this anyway. If your on anybody's land and you see a problem (make sure you have the farmers contact details) give them a call with particulars and location. if you see a sheep on its back, right it. Tangled up with something, get it mobile again. It really helps with the way farmers view us and makes them feel the favour is not a one way thing.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 05:35:08 PM »

Spot on mike; I always try to set a sheep gently back on it's feet and also report anything out of the ordinary. I was wondering if there is also a hot line for reporting sheep worrying.

Personally, I wouldn't mind doing a bit of sheep watching during next years lambing season. I understand that some folk offered to help dig sheep out of the snow drifts during that bad winter we had.

David.JJ
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 10:58:43 PM »

If I was on a field with my shotgun and saw a dog attacking a sheep i would not hesitate to shoot it. 
i have done before and if anyone thinks that is cruel they should see a sheep after being attacked by a dog because its a horrible sight.
i almost shot one of my own springer spaniels once. when the youngest one first saw sheep she went running towards them and after she did not stop on my first shout of down my gun i started to rise my gun and she was lucky she dropped instantly on my second shout or i would have shot her. a working dog is no good if they worry any livestock.
another benefit of shooting dogs is that when i started detecting i had no problem getting farms to detect on because the farmers know you are looking after their interests. you also get permission to fish if they have a river running through their land.
look after the farmers and they will look after you
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 06:00:48 AM »

Hi David,

despite having detected on a couple of farms where sheep were kept, and knowing that sheep worrying by dogs not under control can be a problem, I didn't realise just how the number of attacks had been growing in recent years. I don't know if the sheep worrying could be considered to be out of control but I do know that many farmers are becoming frustrated by the apparent lack of interest shown by those in power.

I have always known that farmers have the right to shoot dogs that are worrying his flock and I have (despite being a dog lover) no argument with that. But I was amazed at the legal mine-field that presents it's self to a farmer who takes up his gun and solves the problem him self.

Do you suppose that it could be practical for individuals to offer to sheep watch during the lambing season?

Apparently, some sheep have been stolen from fields, some have been butchered where they stood, and some lambs were even used for target practice by unknown gunmen (or gunman) last year. 

It must be heart breaking for our hard pressed farmers; who have enough problems with low prices from supermarkets, vets bills, and the Great British weather.

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 02:31:51 PM »

Time to put a couple of things strait here Chris.

I know it's not fair to paint all farmers with the same brush but from first hand experience over the years I have found that most small breeders won't call the Vet out to a sheep, it's not economical. The bill would be as much if not more than a sheep would be worth.
The other point is related to the same small breeder. They don't sell direct to Supermarkets but to a middle man and a huge number of these sheep go to the Continent, the main reason we house wives can't afford to buy British. £27 for one leg, it's a disgrace.
The same group are the ones that have insulted me when I've taken the time to report that a sheep is either in trouble or dead. That doesn't stop me from trying to help a sheep with its stupid head stuck in sheep netting but these days I wouldn't go out of my way to report back to the owner. Two years ago I nearly lost my prime permission due to 'sticking my nose in'.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 08:30:22 AM »

The best approach when you have permission to detect any farm during their respective lambing season is not to bother them. Unless they have workers carrying out the lambing, they themselves are working round the 24hrs clock.
If you are out walking / detecting the responsible thing to do if a sheep is stuck in a fence as sheep have few brain cells like a few on here  Cheesy, free them, there is no need to bother a farmer.

It might make them more aware of you reporting them, dead sheep etc. The majority of farmers check their stock on a regular basis, even though you might think otherwise, a dead sheep isn't a priority.

As for shooting your own dog for chasing or advancing towards livestock, demonstrates a lack of control by the owner, its not the dogs fault. I walk my dogs through sheep to train them not to chase them.

The bottom line you have been given permission to detect not inspect or monitor the landowner / farmers land. Roll Eyes
marknewbury1

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 12:39:09 PM »

I'm about the farm all the time obviously signs up please keep dogs on leads. Every dog I've ever owned has been broken into sheep it is simple walk your dog on the lead  walk close to the Sheep after a while the dogs will take no notice of sheep obviously not in lambing season I've seen dogs off their leads wondering on to the land the owners of the dog or dogs nowhere in sight call in the dogs killing sheep the shotgun is very Andy nobody wants to shoot but sometimes you got to I have had dogs attack me and my dogs and the owner's none the wiser
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 02:51:42 PM »

It seems that there is different opinions on this subject, myself I have a good relationship with the farmers who allow me to use their land. During the  summer I stay of the farms that use the grass for silage or hay also the farms that have crops. As for lambing times  even making the sheep nervous and run allot can cause them to abort their lambs.so I stay clear of these farms and use the dairy farm land permissions.  Some of the farms I have got the privilege and  pleasure to detect on  are used  for shooting syndicates on the week  of the shoots, I stay away as not to cause a nuisance with my presence.I personally try not to have  cause to  contact the farmers as they are very busy, if I see sheep trapped in brambles or fencing I free them and carry on  a few occasions I have been complimented on the way I respect the farmers privacy and life styles .   

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal