Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi all Newby here  (Read 2454 times)
Marty
Rally attendee

« on: December 28, 2016, 01:43:31 PM »

Hi everyone.
My name is Marty and this is a my way of introducing myself.

Today I ventured out on my very first metal detecting trip. It was a quick scan across Barry Island Beach. Using my new Garret 400i I found absolutely nothing.
The beeps were going off regularly but every dig and scrape of the sand revealed zero. When in the wet sand, the beeps were going off literally constantly. Sometimes it sounded as if there was a whole car buried in the sand. So back to square one and I ask myself, where am I going wrong? I will certainly go back to the manual but also suspect that, on some occasions, the machine is detecting my metal false leg. I tried to counter act this by swinging well out in front but the beeps just kept coming. I plan to drag my girlfriend out on the next trip and get her to scan while I stand 10 metres behind. Let's hope I have more luck when I venture out to my first farm.

Anyway this is me and I am in Cwmbran. Any advice for this complete novice would be appreciated and if there is anyone in my local area that wants to hook up, give me shout.

When times are good your friends know. When times are bad you know your friends.
d thomas

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 02:51:49 PM »

Hi marty. Welcome to D.W. im sure you'll get plenty of help on here. See you on a D.W. rally soon.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 02:55:30 PM »

First of all welcome to DW. Garrets on wet sand you will suffer from falsing / sensitivity problems, in land you should do much better, although I have many years experience I will leave it to other more experience users in the Garrets for advice on the wet Sands?? You will get advice I'm sure... Wink if you want to get in to serous beach work get a Minelab especially the Sovereign models, minelabs have no problems with black sand and iron on beaches and remain stable and thus deep...Good luck...
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 05:07:36 PM »

Hi Marty,and a very,very warm welcome to the  Detecting Wales forum,you certainly came to the right place to get plenty of unbiased detecting information.
And previously mentioned by another Member (Celtic Spikey).The particular metal detector your using is a very underestimated machine,and it was a machine very similar to yours(a GARRETT Ace 250) that I first purchased when I return I decided to take metal detecting up as a hobby.and yes I experienced all the same experiences that you mention,and I decided that if I were going to detect on the beach i would need to purchase a more capable machine......BUT...You will be able to use your machine on the dry sand or the beach,where all the Holliday makers congregate to sunbathe.
Usethe standard presets which are recommended by the manufacturer.You will find coins, jewelry etc...But again don't try Detecting on the wet sands,the machine will drive you CRAZY...Youncan try turning down the sensitively,but then you will loose depth.
Always detect ALONG the dry sands of the beach,don't detect from the top of the beach to the water's edge,as you will be entering the wet sand areas and this will set your machine being too sparky !!.
The Garret machines are an excellent start up machine,and as I previously mentioned I owned one and in actual fact I found my first hammered coin with my Ace 250,these machines are great on meadows, farmlands etc.
Anyway Marty,you have to persevere,listen to the tones,and get used to them,perhaps set(bury) some different types of coins, tinfoil,iron at various depths,listen to the different tones,its time well spent,and it won't be to long before you will be exhibiting your finds on the Detecting Wales forum,and I look forward to seeing your finds.
Good hunting....👍

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal