Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stunning medieval ring found in Robin Hood's Sherwood Forest  (Read 5227 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: December 20, 2016, 09:10:13 AM »

By Libby Plummer 

Sherwood Forest is best known for the legend of Robin Hood - the outlaw who robbed the rich to give to the poor. Now an amateur treasure hunter may have found his own fortune in the Nottinghamshire woodland.

A medieval ring discovered in the dirt and thought to date back to the 14th century, could be worth up to £70,000 ($87,000).

A medieval ring discovered in the dirt of Sherwood Forest by an amateur treasure hunter and thought to date back to the 14th century, could be worth up to £70,000 ($87,000)

A medieval ring discovered in the dirt of Sherwood Forest by an amateur treasure hunter and thought to date back to the 14th century, could be worth up to £70,000 ($87,000)

The artefact was discovered by Mark Thompson, who makes his living spray-painting fork lift trucks, had been in the famous Nottinghamshire woodland for just 20 minutes when his metal detector sounded.

The 34-year-old, who had only taken up the hobby 18 months before, was expecting to find something innocuous - perhaps some dropped money or rubbish left behind by holidaymakers.

But as he shovelled away at the soil he saw a glint of gold, and after removing the surrounding dirt he uncovered an ornate piece of jewellery which appeared to be adorned with a precious sapphire.

Mr Thompson has reported the find and it is now going through the treasure hunting process, which he hopes could end in him receiving a windfall.

He has consulted with auctioneers who have suggested it could be worth anywhere between £20,000 ($25,000) and £70,000 ($87,000).

Mr Thompson said: 'I had been out metal detecting with a group for about 20 minutes when I heard the signal.

'I was really excited when I saw that it was gold, but I didn't realise at that point just how significant it might be.

It is believed the ring, which is engraved with an infant Christ on one side and a female saint on the other, dates from the 14th century

A report into the ring by Dot Boughton, a regional finds liaison officer, compares the stone with one used on the tomb of former Archbishop of Canterbury William Wytlesey, who died in 1374

'I called my friend who came down to take a look and help see whether there was anything else related nearby.

'It's the find of a lifetime - I never expected to unearth anything like that. I'm still in shock when I think about it - it was such an exhilarating moment.

'If it does prove to be as valuable as we think it might be, it would completely change my life.

'I'm renting at the moment and I'd love to be able to buy a house or move into somewhere more comfortable.'

Dot Boughton, a regional finds liaison officer, confirmed that the ring is undergoing tests at the British Museum and the case has been referred to the coroner so it can be formally classified as treasure.

It is believed the ring, which is engraved with an infant Christ on one side and a female saint on the other, dates from the 14th century.

Mr Thompson is now waiting for the coroner to set a date for an inquest to confirm the ring is treasure.

If it is, it will be valued by experts and offered to museums to purchase. Mr Thompson will receive the reward as the finder.

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 10:08:11 AM »

hmmmm dont know about that one.......the figure looks a bit like Bob Marley  Grin

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »

A breathtaking, heart stopping find. BUT I wonder, did he have permission to be detecting there and what do Nottingham Council think about it.
I hope the finder doesn't get too excited about keeping all the money.  There was a case a few years ago, similar, and I'm almost certain the Council claimed the lot.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 04:30:58 PM »

The finder has stated on facebook that the report it was found in Sherwood forest is poetic licence by the paper that posted it.
It was in fact found on farmland a few miles away from the forest and the item has been correctly reported for recording and treasure purposes.
Was a small club dig and the farm landowner has been shown the find.
As most of us are aware metal detecting is not allowed in Sherwood Forest.
People local to the area have been refused permission without exception.
PaulB. Cool

Greetings from the Dragon.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 04:36:53 PM »

Thanks for the info. Paul.
He should, at least, get a decent deposit out of it and maybe a bit spare. Lucky man  Wink

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 04:43:48 PM »

Hello Val,
               Firstly let me wish you seasons greetings for you and yours.

Yes its a shame the paper tried to sensationalise the report.

The farm owner and Finder have done exactly the correct thing as regards reporting it to the F.L.O.

In the F.L.O. interim report it states found on farmland.

Your turn next for treasure..young lady lol.

Take care and enjoy the festive season.......PaulB. Cool

scara
NWDD Member

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 05:41:40 PM »

Very nice find, the find of a lifetime no doubt.

Don't you just hate the way the press print whatever they want whether it be the truth or not  Angry Angry Angry.

The problem with articles like this bigging up the cash value etc is, that it will inspire some good people to look at our hobby and maybe even give it a go, that is the good point

However it will also inspire more than one numpty who can afford a cheap metal detector to go stomping all over land without permission, digging random holes and leaving a mess, spoiling it for the rest of us.

Watch out Sherwood forest and the surrounding areas. guaranteed to find a numpty in your area soon  Angry Angry Angry

Just my own personal opinion anyway.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:43:51 PM by scara » Logged
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 06:33:56 PM »

You are not wrong Scara..... Cool

probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 12:15:02 PM »

Fantastic find - just shows what is still out there.

Glad everything was done properly.

Agree that there will now probably be a bunch of people in Sherwood giving detectorists a bad name.
wagis
NWDD Member

gravity always gets me down

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 06:50:57 PM »

It's the type of find we all dream of but don't get, but what a fantastic find for the detectorist and the farmer
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 09:58:52 PM »

Absolute cracking find, I have to agree with scara, in my experience as soon as something like this is publicised with even the slightest indication of find spot, the scum will appear. Angry 
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 08:51:18 AM »

Very Nice, the figure does look like a Rasta though lol!

XP Deus user
Andre

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 11:07:05 AM »

Looks like brand new,has if it came of the shop.How lucky.Good exhibition of roman artifacts from wroxeter in Shrewsbury music hall.worth a visit
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 09:29:55 AM »

Funny how Chinese whispers, assisted by the press, can become distorted. Metal detectorist finds ancient gold ring two miles from Sherewood Forrest - Treasure hunter digs up gold ring in Sherwood Forest - Nighthawk plunders Robin Hood's grave for jewelry.  Smiley

Now where did I put those sour grapes? Wink

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal