Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A large button  (Read 2818 times)
Trefor Meirionnydd

« on: December 10, 2016, 12:34:30 PM »

With all the other excitement going on I forgot to mention a button that I found on Sunday at the Leominster dig.

It is circular, 29mm in diameter and has a very nice but corroded coat of arms design on the front. I'm not sure where to start looking for 'coats of arms' information but it would be interesting to find out more and whether it was a local family.

* button front.JPG (192.63 KB, 718x718 - viewed 273 times.)

* button rear.JPG (201.92 KB, 717x717 - viewed 367 times.)
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 06:00:20 PM »

Congratulations on a truly unique find Trefor very unusual,very well detected and saved..👍
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 08:44:07 PM »

I think there are some button collectors on here who may  be along  to help interesting find well searched
roger007
Rally attendee

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 03:45:59 PM »

if you look on google there are lots of info ,just put in what you can see on the coat of arms ,in your case a cross calgary and a lion sergeant  with chain.a similar lion is connected with baronet morris ,the cross could be a scotish connection .well worth a look  I'm not an expert so I might be completely wrong!
Trefor Meirionnydd

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 07:07:56 PM »

Thanks Roger. I have tried some research into this but it is a HUGE subject and really needs some expert knowledge. You're right, there is lots and lots of stuff on Google.

A very helpful and knowledgeable chap on another site has provided some good info. He says that if it was a family livery button, the left side (dexter side) would probably be the husband's Arms, and the right side (sinister side) would be the wife's father's Arms. The Arms are "impaled"...is the heraldic term for the way they're combined.

He seems to think (and I agree) that the left side of the shield possibly relates to the BRIDGES family of Weobley who used this 'cross' design and the right side possibly to the PHILLIPS family who used a chained lion rampant design. Weobley is only 10 miles from the dig site at Leominster so that may be relevant.

I have yet to find anything conclusive that shows or describes the combined Arms but I'll keep looking, mainly for a suitable PHILLIPS connection. I have been in touch with Leominster museum and the FLO so they may come back with more info after the holidays.

Cheers.
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 09:51:13 PM »

Very nice keep us updated! Wink
Trefor Meirionnydd

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 09:41:21 PM »

At the risk of boring the pants off you all, the left side of the shield - Bridges of Weobley - may be correct but according to the FLO the right side is not a rampant Lion but is actually a rampant Talbot... I thought a Talbot was a car but it seems it's also a large hunting dog. Looking more closely I can see he is correct. Anyway, the Talbot relates to the Earls of Shrewsbury so not a million miles away from Leominster either.

Enjoyable research but I still don't know how the two sides of the shield are connected... good job there's no rush...  Wink  and good job the FLO, Peter Reavill, is such a nice helpful bloke!
ian the nomad

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 08:18:36 PM »

All interesting stuff, sometimes finding the object is only a small part of the story .Look forward to the final piece of the jigsaw. Thanks so far.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal