Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone out on the beach tomorrow?  (Read 3702 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: December 09, 2016, 07:34:20 PM »

Although, due short daylight hours and an incoming tide, my last visit was pretty uneventful I did mange to locate an interesting section of Rhyl beach and intend giving it an other try tomorrow. With the high tide on the turn at a little after 07.00 hrs and daybreak coming by 08.20, I thought it's probably worth giving the area good going over and chase the tide out.

Invested in a new set of thermals today, some new knee pads  and a new pair of wellingtons big enough to allow me to put on some thick winter socks. Replaced the snake coil with the DD ultimate and made certain that all my rechargeable batteries are well topped up and ready to go. Oh, and packing a spare battery for the ProPointer!  Wink

Where ever you swing your coil tomorrow, may you be gifted with great finds and good company.

Chris Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 08:31:51 PM »

Good luck for tomorrow Chris...👍
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 09:12:24 PM »

Thanks Chris. I'm leaving as little as possible to chance and have even found a couple of places, close to the beach, where I can park for free all day and the car will be relatively safe.

Last time I detected Rhyl I found several blobs of aluminium similar to those I kept finding at Kinmel Bay. Some say that the aluminium is from melted aluminium barbecue trays but I doubt it. There are reports of several wrecks that went down in a blaze of glory and I wonder if the blobs of aluminium could be from them.

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 07:46:34 PM »

Not a bad couple of hours on the beach today. My new thermals kept me nice and cozy and the new wellies saved me from loads of sticky, smelly, black mud that was hiding just below a thin crust of wet sand. The sand scoop worked well in the wet sand and rocks; whilst the bungee harness kept the detector up off the mud.

Starting to get the feel for this section of beach now and can see where WWII scrap may be and the most likely trapping points for the odd coin or two.

* This Saturday.JPG (245.65 KB, 585x413 - viewed 442 times.)

dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 07:48:48 PM »

Good efforts Chris...👍
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 08:00:53 PM »

The area looks promising Chris but I think it will be next season before I can do it any real justice. We shut the caravan down early, last week, and will not be opening it up again till March.

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 09:19:59 PM »

Interesting collection Chris.  What is the silver Lizzy 2nd at the top (or is it the bottom) and what are those things with the circles in them ?

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 11:50:06 PM »

Oops, tis an upside-down £2 decimal coin. Those things with the circles in them are impacted lead projectiles; not WWII. The circles are the end where the projectile would have been crimped into a cartridge.

I get the impression that there are going to be a lot more of those old lead projectiles in the same area and if that is the case perhaps there will be some coins from the same era. Or is that just wishful thinking?  Roll Eyes

You were right about using a bungee harness Val; it certainly keeps the detector up out of the mud and dirt. Smiley

Andre

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 08:41:52 AM »

Hi Chris,what time of the day did you go,many people about?im from wrexham so probably I'll join you on a hunt at Rhyl.sometime next year,to busy nowadays at work.i bought a Euroace,the dingdong machine,but Val said they are no god on wet sand.still have my trusty old Viking 7😀
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 11:15:46 AM »

Hi Andre,
                you will be more than welcome to join me next season. I normally like to commence my beach detecting at the crack of dawn or just a little before when all the ner-do-wells are still asleep in their beds and only the sea anglers or bait hunters may be about. I also like to start at the turn of the high tide and chase the tide out, then retreat as she comes back in.

I used a Garrett EuroAce and a C-Scope CS4PI before buying my Safari. The EuroAce is now my backup machine and I traded off the CS4PI for an Air Rifle.The CS4PI, without any discrimination, fair did my back in. I found the EuroAce adequate for my needs at the time of purchase and it worked well on pasture and dry sand but as you now know it is pretty annoying on wet saline beach sand. You can get by if you reduce the sensitivity for swinging the Ace machines on a wet beach.

My regular beach used to be Talacre in Flint but if you have ever detected at Talacre you will know that the beach is heavily contaminated with WWII scrap and target range projectiles. My oldest coin off Talacre was a George III halfpenny and I have had a few pieces of low value jewelry off there.

Stay safe, stay well, and happy hunting.

I look forward to you joining me beach hunting next season.

Chris Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal