Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Small Hoard Deposit !!  (Read 3110 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« on: December 04, 2016, 09:55:11 AM »

In my last post I showed the lead face I found in a field of ancient activity, that was last Tuesday. On the Wednesday I decided to have a day off, and rest up. Since finding numerous 4th century coins most in poor condition I have had a feeling of better finds, so the urge to get back saw me back in this field on the Thursday. Before I could get onto it I had to spend 45 minutes waiting for the local shoot to finish as the picker uppers were in the field. As soon they were gone I went back to the area I had the face, unbelievably within the first couple of minutes I received a signal 85 on the Deus, I was in Full Tones again and as an experiment had dropped from 18 khz to 8 khz?, then at a depth of 10-11 inches up popped a sestertius in nice condition, it was Faustina and had a better than average wear and tear, not 2 steps further on another signal in the 80s, from this moment I knew it was another one and sure enough up it popped, not as good condition and more worn. Over the next 5 hrs from a small area another 7 emerged each time at various depths and condition, the better ones being deeper not surprisingly I suppose.
They are all bronze sestertii, earliest being Hadrian, Marcus Aurelius and Antoninus Pius range. These coins were probably still being used 50-60 years after emperor's reign had ended due to their general wear. Anyway here they are apart from a soak in water and gentle brush, they are as found and shows the signs of being placed in the ground together, I now believe due to the face being found in amongst them that this has a votive feel about the hoard....be interested on your thoughts. I guess more searching is in order although on more coin and it comes under the treasure act, being 10 or more...Hope you enjoy anyway....  Ps it was cold...Lol     

* 012.JPG (50.42 KB, 448x336 - viewed 324 times.)

* 014.JPG (53.19 KB, 448x336 - viewed 324 times.)

* 015.JPG (53.24 KB, 448x336 - viewed 490 times.)

* 010.JPG (48.13 KB, 448x336 - viewed 499 times.)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 10:17:16 AM »

Wonderful collection of finds Paul. The sort most dream of. If your right there are sure to be more there, maybe a bit deeper. Next turn of the plough eh!
I was hoping for that but they didn't plough after the Summer crops came off, just harrowed and planted strait into the fields again. What a bum  Angry
Looks like it's been colder over there. Ice on my water trough hasn't been that thick.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Andre

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 10:17:45 AM »

Nice finds👍👍one can only dream...Is that little mask roman?loads of roman activity around your area.I live in between chester and wrexham,so I am hoping to get such finds on my permissions.I am from Portugal and we were romanized centuries before and people doing the same hobby don't get so many roman coins in one go.well done 👏 👏.Them Xp Deus machines must be really good...
relicron

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 07:40:44 PM »

Cracking finds there paul,you are so lucky to have sites like you have,looking forward to your next outing and report,ps if your house get to full to store them all,you can keep them in my house if you like,lol brill finds Cheers Ron.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 07:49:46 PM »

Nice finds👍👍one can only dream...Is that little mask roman?loads of roman activity around your area.I live in between chester and wrexham,so I am hoping to get such finds on my permissions.I am from Portugal and we were romanized centuries before and people doing the same hobby don't get so many roman coins in one go.well done 👏 👏.Them Xp Deus machines must be really good...
Thanks Andre, Chester! Get in them fields it's a good area for ancient history. The Deus is in deed a top machine I wouldn't swap it for any other, and I've had a few different models over the years, but even the mighty Deus is no good if you do not go over the goodies lol....Good luck and look farward to your finds. Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 07:52:58 PM »

Wonderful collection of finds Paul. The sort most dream of. If your right there are sure to be more there, maybe a bit deeper. Next turn of the plough eh!
I was hoping for that but they didn't plough after the Summer crops came off, just harrowed and planted strait into the fields again. What a bum  Angry
Looks like it's been colder over there. Ice on my water trough hasn't been that thick.
Thanks Val, mite have to work extra hard to squeeze a few more out lol or get farmer to take a foot off the area ?Sorry to hear the quick turn round on your land.  Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 08:20:35 PM »

Well done again Paul....it's getting very repetitive on my part saying congratulations on all your absolutely FANTASTIC finds,its definitely been a BRILLIANT year for you.
Keep up the great work....love seeing all your finds....👏👏👏👏👏👏......🍺👍
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 09:25:15 PM »

Well done Paul, glad to see you're still finding the good stuff

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 10:37:36 PM »

very nice well saved, things we all dream of and keep us searching  Wink
wittsy1

Where am I?

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 11:28:06 AM »

Well done Celticspikey. Like the coins, but the Lead Face really appeals to me, one of the best things I have seen in a while.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 08:46:33 PM »

Thanks guys, appreciate your comments  Wink Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal