Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First day out ever  (Read 2791 times)
Andre

« on: December 01, 2016, 10:13:29 PM »

I went to a hunt today on farmland and although didn't find anything decent I thoroughly enjoyed it.its a learning curve.frustating a times but I kinda got the gist of it.still trying to figure out what the machine is trying to tell me.lovely day today.Does more discrimination means less deeper finds?cheers👍

* RenderedContent-A9FF09F5-3B1A-4074-8CCA-AD4F4301C354.JPG (98.11 KB, 1136x852 - viewed 370 times.)

* RenderedContent-1C4BBD66-EAAF-450D-93DE-C9FE619FBF12.JPG (127.59 KB, 1136x852 - viewed 497 times.)

* RenderedContent-13F8FB01-43B5-4969-8E5D-132245E390D9.JPG (169.54 KB, 1136x638 - viewed 509 times.)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 05:20:09 AM »

You certainly had a good first outing Andre. Reminded me of how the Viking likes iron. Not to be sneezed at though because it gives you a good idea of what was going on in the area.
That tile looks interesting. It's very high quality and certainly wouldn't have been found in an ordinary workers house and looks to be quite old. Always well worth watching out for ceramics they tell as much about an area as coins.
The large, flat topped nail looks like one they used on railway sleepers. Not easy to see the other bits. A bit more light when you take pics would be better.
Sure to be some more interesting finds in amongst the iron. Just listen for any change in the tones. The first one we all learn is the iron tone because that's the one we all get the most. One thing is for sure the more you detect, the more you will find.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Andre

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 08:25:01 AM »

Thanks Val,yes the Viking sounds a bit monotone,the difference in sound was more to do with the depth rather than material.the ceramic bit looks like a piece of Tudor glazed pot or plate and the coin I found it when I was near a path going home.so I'll start there next time.do the other machines give you clear different sounds?im definitely investing in one next year and probably a pointer.cheers👍
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 09:01:30 AM »

Congratulations Andre on your first detecting venture,you certainly did a whole lot a digging.and as Val rightly says,it seems that your detector really enjoys the iron .
Have you done any dummy brush at home,ie putting down some bits of  different types of metals?, listening to the detector's response(tone changes)alsontry an bury a few coins of different Metals at varying depths.
By doing this it will help you differentiate and be more selective on what you dig,although you are rightly digging all responses or now.
Very well done anyway,and its great to see new DETECTORISTS on the forum out there having a go,well done on your enthusiasm,keep going and I'm sure that  not too many holes more and you will start bringing home the goodies
Good hunting.....and 100% for your efforts...👏👏👏👏👏.....👍
Andre

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 09:40:23 AM »

Thanks,I thought on doing that but my flower beds are so laden with bits of metal that it's going to be confusing.have to do it on my permission.both my permissions are massive,I was thinking where to start 😀...what things do you look for when you get to a field?what are the tale tale signs for a good spot
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 02:08:05 PM »

Wink Welldone L'ami , the detector work you did find metal well next time maybe a little silver coin somewhere .good luck and HH

Nap.

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 02:52:27 PM »

Research can help but mostly there's no guarantee. Some of the nicest finds turn up in the most unexpected places.
It can help, and is a widely used technique, detect around the edge of the field then diagonally from corner to corner. (Union Jack style) this sometimes highlights a hot spot.
Old tracks can be picked up on old maps, even villages, long since gone.
There is a new resource that can help. Log onto blueskymapshop.com enter the nearest postcode to where you want to search. This will bring up a Google image. Find the exact area then select LIDAR from the tool bar above the image and it will change to a weird green.
It's only a sample of what they offer, which is expensive, so it's very small. Look for rectangular changes of colour which might have been properties.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Andre

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 05:02:47 PM »

Ta very much 👍
Trefor Meirionnydd

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 08:16:30 PM »

Good hunting Andre

and thanks for posting the 'bluesky map' link Val, those lidar pics may be very useful.
Andre

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 09:34:59 PM »

Diolch Trefor👍

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal