Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting the hobbie  (Read 4638 times)
Andre

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 10:11:14 PM »

Hi Val,what's there to learn with machines?the sounds for different metals,the ground balance,discrimination etc?
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 12:07:48 AM »

Well, I wouldn't know where to start really. Nearest comparison I could think of was 'cars'.
You start with an old Mini (1960's style) nothing but a key, a clutch, an excellerator and a brake then work your way up to a 2016 Merc. Each car in between is different with a few more added refinements and so it goes.
That's why I said a Safari wouldn't suit a beginner. It's a multi frequency machine and, if my memory serves me right, has 18 different sounds. Remember what Dingdong (Chris) said about the Garrett, it only has 2 'ding' & 'dong'
It's a fine balance to find a machine that will last you some time and not be too complicated so as to put you off. Whatever you choose will frustrate you, to a certain degree, till you get used to it.
There's always someone on the Forum that can help and advise from personal experience. All you need do is ask, even if the question seems a bit silly. We've all been there at some point and know how it feels.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 06:45:37 PM »

Hey Andre,take a look at the MACRO RACER(1)....it's a great all-rounder and isn't that expensive if you can get hold of one second hand....it's what i use with the addition of a MARS'TIGER' coil,its a great easy to learn machine,very deep and very light to use.
Mine has found me quite a few  Roman coins and quite a few medieval bits and pieces.
Well worth a look...hope this helps a bit but as Val says it does take a while to get into the "swing," of things,learning the different tones,once you start listening and understanding the different tones you are well on your way to understanding what the metal detector is telling you,good luck...👍
Andre

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 10:42:29 PM »

Cheers mate,on Thursday I'm going out with me old machine,if the ground is not frozen  :😀I'm of work on that day,missus is working the lad is in school,let you know how it went.can you interchange coils of different brands between different machines?
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 10:56:22 PM »

The connections and some of the frequencies are different. Never heard of anyone changing the coil on a Viking.
If you phone Regtons they'll tell you the ins and outs.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 08:54:38 AM »

Hi Andre,i go 100% with what Val advises,as quite a lot(most) metal detector manufacturers
Make their own coils for a specific detector,mind you not in all cases,and without getting too technical,things like impulse values,and connect ability come into view.
Ask Marcos or Nigel at REGTON'S DETECTORS as Val suggests and I will be sure that they will be able to offer you sound advice.
OH,and if you ever decide to purchase anything from REGTON'S,be sure to mention that you are a member of the DETECTING WALES FORUM and you could well get a bit of discount on your purchase.
Good hunting.....👍
Andre

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 02:57:41 PM »

Thanks for all the advices 👍

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal