Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alton Hoard Massively Undervalued !!  (Read 5537 times)
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« on: November 23, 2016, 09:13:05 PM »

Hi All,

I thought id make the article known to other detectorists, so that they will not try to cheat in the future!!
The ring alone, considering its historical importance and supporting evidence (gift from Augustus
to a British king) would be worth at least tens of thousands at auction today, and I can't imagine
what a Tincomarus gold stater with the complete name from the Alton hoard would fetch if Chris
Rudd had one! Those were the very coins that gave the correct name.

http://www.altonherald.com/article.cfm?id=114672&headline=Hoard%E2%80%99s%20value%20%E2%80%98too%20low%E2%80%99&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2016

* 1024px-British_Museum_Alton_A_Hoard.jpg (154.6 KB, 1024x753 - viewed 693 times.)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:50:10 PM by Dale » Logged
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 09:26:23 PM »

Here's a link to the pictures of the jewellery and pot with coins (slide show)

http://tinyurl.com/hokadmh

The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 10:23:04 PM »

Interesting link Dale, but as this was twenty years ago he's left it a bit late to complain now!
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 08:30:35 AM »

There is no statute of limitations n the UK; or is there?

Perhaps the best thing is to just let it go! Easy for me to say but I'm not the one who missed out on a load of cash.  Roll Eyes

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 11:56:30 AM »

If it is any help to people with treasure cases, I did managed to challenge the value of my hoard and get another 10% from valuation.

The way the coins were valued were different from the way I valued them (in my opinion the groats were over-valued and the gold was undervalued), but it ended up to the kind of value I'd be happy to pay for them.

We also know that the price the museum pays is not what you would buy coins from a dealer for, but essentially the fair auction price (without buyers premium or sellers premium) - and that's not book price either.

The problem with this case is that at the time he accepted the price from the museum so the transaction has been completed.
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 08:15:49 PM »

If it is any help to people with treasure cases, I did managed to challenge the value of my hoard and get another 10% from valuation.

The way the coins were valued were different from the way I valued them (in my opinion the groats were over-valued and the gold was undervalued), but it ended up to the kind of value I'd be happy to pay for them.

We also know that the price the museum pays is not what you would buy coins from a dealer for, but essentially the fair auction price (without buyers premium or sellers premium) - and that's not book price either.

The problem with this case is that at the time he accepted the price from the museum so the transaction has been completed.

Hi Roland,

I'm glad to hear you challenged your offer and got an extra 10% it was still a good buy for the museum! did
it stay local?

I found out Chris Rudd sold a Tincomarus Alton gold stater in 2007 for £7,700 that's a lot of money for 1 coin.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 01:35:12 PM »

Yes - it's Cardiff Museum, although it's unlikely they will ever see the light of day as there is no coin display there.

As to coin prices (and Chris Rudd) - I've never bought from him as I know he's been pushing to get higher Celtic Prices over the years.

I note that those prices he states are record prices - I see another stater which he has as £5,500 - I was offered one for £700 not too many years ago.

Prices for coins have gone up for gold, and celtic gold for example unites (I used to buy them for around £400, now some are >£2k) or say the triple unite (c.2000 ~£14k, now some are £86k).

The valuation committee also makes an adjustment (however fair or unfair) if many are found - I know that when a hoard of Cnuts was found the market price dropped to £70 or so from dealers for them for a while, whereas I'd bought one not long before for £150.

I do sometimes wonder though, if coin prices will crash at some point - certainly I know of very few people my age who collect - most of the people in the coin club are much older than me.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal