Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping track of where you've detected  (Read 6754 times)
spaceonwhite

« on: November 22, 2016, 08:55:26 PM »

I've been detecting for about 6 months now and already had some great finds. Some of the fields on my permissions are massive and I just wondered how other detectorists remember/mark what parts of a field they've previously covered. I've tried searching for GPS apps that could record each time I go out but struggled to find anything.  Huh

Thanks

Jeff
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 10:53:01 PM »

Don't know how big 'massive' is - but I know that some of the fields I detect on are >20 acres.

I generally try and find hotspots and then grid, grid, grid. I try and line this up with some landmarks Smiley

There are some fields I've gridded far more than others.

Mind you grass length / plough conditions / weather make a huge difference. When I first started detecting, I used to detect in waist high grass. Understandably I found nowt Cheesy
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 09:07:02 AM »

when i get a find that needs recording, i place it in a small bag and give it a number that matches the gps reading on my handheld garmin. I then go home, extract the bags, note the number and the 10 figure ref onto a spreadsheet. then add extra data such as coin, artefact, token etc ... and leave space for the PAS reference number in due course, which i can then hyperlink from the spreadsheet to the PAS database.

I then delete the readings from the handheld gps once all the info has been recorded, so the next time i go out. ... i start afresh.

if you research google earth, there is a method where you can upload your findspots into GE for your personal use.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:10:13 AM by handyman [Alan} » Logged

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 02:48:53 PM »

I think what Jeff is asking for is a suitable walkers tracker app. I remember someone posted one on the Forum some time ago. Had a look through 'Tips & Tricks'  last night but couldn't find it.
If I remember right it coloured a track while you were walking which you could save till next time.
Maybe someone else might remember it.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
scara
NWDD Member

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 03:18:27 PM »

Jeff

To be honest I just sort of make a mental note where I have been and where I finished off on the day, be it a tree or a gate/ fence line.

Don't use no new fangled apps or gps stuff  Grin Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 04:08:28 PM »

Yes good to know where you have detected..BUT REMEMBER....a field is very seldom done !!
and sometimes by going over the same piece of land can turn up finds missed on previous detecting outing's.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 09:03:26 PM »

Personally I do not GPS, some of my fields are 20-100+acres, and I'm confident I can go back to within a very close distance to a good find, looking at features, posts, the lay of the land. Do not think that GPS and gridding will Hoover up part of a field and thus leaving you to search another part..do so at your perill ! We always miss things and also coins and artefacts are move around each turn of the plough are cultivator. Pasture obviously different you can clean up an area gridding, but even then worms etc can move stuff to the surface. As can getting a different detector to get more depth, ie Deus or CTX ( Other detectors are available) Shocked Wink Good luck to you though especially if you are wanting to plot finds spots on computer in which case a potential picture can be built up of the field...... Wink
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 02:41:36 AM »

my  opinion dont worry too much about forgetting where you have been on the field, just make a mental note of gates or bushes in the edge. As others will probably agree you can still find a few targets were you think you have covered before because the  ground is wet when it was dry last time you covered it, Maybe  your coil just missed the item last time ,good luck just enjoy your self remember the objects have been there for years and are not going anywhere till you find them 
spaceonwhite

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 08:42:39 PM »

Thanks for all the replies guys. I do try and take a mental note of the areas I've already detected in a field but find I quite like detecting different fields each week, so I might not go back to the same field for several weeks. Just the way I like to do it. Plus I've got 3 permissions so I just thought if there was a GPS app to track me it would save my failing memory  Grin I totally agree though that a field is never fully done so it doesn't matter if I end up going over the same area more than once.  Smiley
romany jones
Rally attendee

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 04:48:45 PM »

Can't you use google maps print it off and use a chinagraph pen to grid the area.
wondering

NCMD Member

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 07:17:40 PM »

I have a permission that the farmer said he had a few people detect it over the years but I took it and me and my mate have done that farm hundreds of times and its turned up hammerds and silver and bronze romans not to mention the artefacts and milled coinage, even 3 rings although none have been gold or silver but goes to show.

George

There is something to be found in every field....

Milled silver x 11
Hammered silver x 9
Pre-decimal (a lot)
Roman artefact x 2
Roman silver coins x1
sandpiper

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 09:28:22 PM »

Hi There

If you have an android smart phone go to google play and search for GPS co ordinate apps or latitude or longitude apps and it will show you hundreds of free aps that will give you your location in lat and long to an accuracy of 3 meters .There are so many free aps to choose from and all will show your position on a map or satellite image . There's all sorts of options with the apps and as well as being free they are brilliant !! you came download to your computer and set up all sorts of tracking data and logging data .   Hope this helps but you will need an android smart phone . If you have an    i- phone I guess there is something similar for that too .

Happy hunting and good luck 

you have to believe it to achieve it !!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal