Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Change of plan  (Read 4971 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: November 15, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »

Getting out onto the beach a little more often now but still not doing more than four hours at a time. Despite using a bungee harness with the Safari / Big Nel combo, I find my self generally knackered after four hours swinging. The Big Nel still keeps pulling the odd coins from previously well detected areas of beach and no doubt you have seen the ladies ring that I recently recovered.

Having decided to detect further along the coast from Talacre and based on recent findings; I decided to remove the Big Nel and replace it with a small Nel Snake coil. Jeez, it feels like swinging an empty stick. So, come Saturday I'm going to try a new area and see what "Lady Luck" will throw my way. I will continue to use the bungee; if only to avoid putting the detector down on the sand. Wink

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 09:49:43 PM »

Well done Chris for dedication to task,"a braver man you be".😁
And good luck with your future quests.....good hunting ....😀....👍
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 10:32:33 PM »

Best of luck on Saturday Chris. I know the smaller coil doesn't cover as much sand but it is easier to pin point and a hell of a lot lighter.
 I got to the stage with my Safari when I did the same with the coin shooter coil. Didn't make much difference to find count ( 0 ) but it was much more pleasant.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 07:03:10 AM »

Thanks for the replies and the good wishes. Based on the new area to be swept and the lighter combination of Safari and Nel Snake coil, I'm hoping to make some better beach finds. Of course, I would never contemplate detecting an open beach with such a small coil but me thinks that it will work well on the area planned to be detected on Saturday. Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 10:17:28 AM »

Well done on your perseverance Chris, I'm sure the goodies will follow....  Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 09:25:04 PM »

Well, had a play around indoors to day and it's just like swinging a lightweight branch. Also had a mooch in one of my spares boxes and dug out the set of KOSS UR-30 headphones that came with the Safari. Generally never used the KOSS phones due to the short lead on them. I did try using an extension lead but found it to be pain in the butt.  If I'm going to be using the bungee harness, the short lead on the COSS phones should no longer present it's self as a problem.

So!, light coil, bungee harness, COSS phones, and sand scoop rather than spade; all in all, it should make for an easier day's beach detecting. Chaffing at the bit to get out there. It feels like waiting for Christmas. Wink

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 09:53:22 PM »

What a weekend,
                            we eventually made it to Rhyl and spent all night listening to the rain hammering on the caravan roof and thought that any idea of detecting on Saturday was going to be just wishful thinking. As you all know, Saturday turned out to rather a nice day and so I made my mind up to try Kinmel Bay and see if my new plan for beach detecting would prove to be fruitful.

Using the Nel Snake coil on the Safari proved to be rather successful in reducing the stress on the right arm and the bungee harness didn't restrict my swing; allowing for a rather large arc sweep. Although I knew that I would be working with an incoming tide, I hadn't quite realized how close to (and above)  the towel line the tide would advance.

It was nice to not have to cope with the general WWII scrap that normally gets in the way at Talacre and at times the Safari was so quiet that I dug the occasional iron signal. I was just getting into my stride when the tide chased me off the beach and I beat a retreat. Finished up with 14p in rotting decimal coinage, four sea angling weights, some hot rocks, plenty of melted aluminium scraps, some odds n ends, and one bejeweled poppy with a pin that could still be secured.

OK, not a Kings ransom but the day proved to be a good exercise and I do plan on returning to Kinmel Bay but would work with an outgoing tide. I have heard a number of detectorists talk about the aluminium scraps that turn up at Kinmel Bay and it has been suggested that they are the remnants of aluminium barbecue trays.

* Kinmel bay.JPG (216.94 KB, 585x413 - viewed 856 times.)

congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 12:51:32 PM »

looks like you had plenty signals well searched
ian the nomad

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 07:06:24 PM »

Beats sitting at home, better luck next time.
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 08:02:03 PM »

Hey Chris,apart from the poppy,that little lot looks my scrap bucket .. LOL
Good efforts though....well done ..how's the gold ring? any significant changes yet ?..😀
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 05:26:10 AM »

Well spotted Chris! Smiley Yep, most of it is destined to go into my scrap bucket but only after close inspection.

I'm pretty certain that the aluminium pieces are not from aluminium barbecue trays but if that is the case, where are they from? As for any fishing weights that I find; some go into my sea angling box, some get handed on to a neighbor, and the rest get put with my lead for weighing in.

I have made a little progress with the ring that you write of and will post a couple of pics on the other thread later this week.

Although my trip to Kinmel Bay wasn't overly successful, I found the visit to be rather interesting and will be returning for an other bash at it. It was nice to get away from the scrappy beach at Talacre and the sand scoop and bungee harness are both proving their worth in easing the stress of digging. Since abandoning the spade for beach detecting my lower back and hip pains have eased somewhat. I can certainly recommend the use of a scoop and bungee for beach detecting.

dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 04:17:37 PM »

Thanks for the update Chris..👍

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal