Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: This coming Saturday  (Read 13514 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: October 20, 2016, 01:17:33 PM »

Well with the BBC weather man predicting dry weather for the weekend and the first low tide scheduled for just after 1500 hrs; I'm contemplating breaking out the Safari and the Nel BIG coil for a few hours on Saturday morning, but can't make up my mind as to which beach to work. Should it be Talacre, Rhyl, or Kinmel Bay? 

Anyone else working the beaches of North East Wales this weekend?

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 04:40:21 PM »

Kinmel bay......get them little gold rings !!!!....good hunting me old mate....👍
Allthegearnoidea
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 09:43:36 PM »

I am another considering which beach to go stay home and do Porrtcawl/Barry or go to West Wales and do Aberporth/Newquay  Huh
roughneck

T2 SE

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 03:05:49 PM »

Newquay West Wales is done regularly by a chap from Bargoed who probably has a holiday home in the area.  I was told this by one of the locals only last weekend whilst visiting my son who lives near Aberystwyth.  Cheers.  Tom.
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 06:42:00 PM »

good luck wherever you decide to go
Allthegearnoidea
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 08:41:12 PM »

Thanks for that roughneck
Allthegearnoidea
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 09:12:18 PM »

Went to Aberporth in the end but really sanded in and few signals . Found a little cut which yielded £2.50 but that was it.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 06:27:03 PM »

I eventually bit the bullet and plumped for Talacre; whilst planning to do Rhyl this Sunday and try Kinmel Bay next week. Slowly getting back into the swing of things. For the first time in over six years, I have found my self dreaming about metal detecting. Must be suffering withdrawal symptoms.

I put in about four hours on the sands and found that the sand scoop was of great assistance in easing the stress on my lower back and hips. I also managed to get some help from the bungee and the Safari + Big Nel coil didn't wear me down too much.

Plenty of WWII scrap to sift through and slide over but found a hot spot containing untold fifty cal shattered copper jackets and assume that the area is something of a sand trap and it may well contain coins also. Made a mental note of the location and will return at a later date. Moved up the beach and swung back west, knowing full well that I was moving into territory that is heavily infested with .303 and .30 projectiles. Based on past experience of the area, I was able to winkle out a number of decimal and pre-decimal coins, along with what looks to be a ladies eternity ring but some cleaning of the ring will be required before I can correctly id it.

I will try and post some pics tomorrow and would appreciate any cleaning advice that you folks may give me.

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 08:14:38 PM »

Looking forward to seeing your pictures Chris.its great to hear that your out and about ,
Gotta start getting out ........it's the motivation and now the lack of permissions that thwart me,but good on ya ...👍
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 10:59:29 PM »

Here ya go Chris...................

it came out o the sand looking pretty grim and coated with grey grit. A gentle stroke of the thumb had some of the grit falling away to reveal a glint of gold running around the edges of the rim but leaving a thick coating of grey, carborundum like material, both inside and outside of the ring.
I suspect that it is made from two different metals, that have responded differently to many years being locked in the sands.

Any ideas as to what the cruddy looking metal may be, and the best way to clean it. I am goint to try warm soapy water in an ultra-sound bath.

* Sunday's ring 01.JPG (199.49 KB, 413x584 - viewed 574 times.)

* Sunday's ring 01.JPG (199.49 KB, 413x584 - viewed 542 times.)

dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 04:05:05 PM »

Hi ya Chris,very nice photos,gotta say it does appear to be very "goldish" and also looks as though it has a "silverish" band running round the centre of it(white gold,or even platinum perhaps.... certainly wish you all the luck with it.
With regards to cleaning,if it is valuable and it were my find I would let it steep in some warm soapy water,changing the water on a regular basis and lett the "crud"dicepate in a natural Janet,after all it got stuck on the ring naturally,so let nature remove naturally.
Great pictures as well Chris..👍
And once again,many thanks for keeping to your word and posting it up..👍
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 09:29:04 PM »

Isn't Mother Nature amazing, the way she claims back what was hers in the first place.
Bit by bit that ring was being reclaimed and would eventually become part of a rock.
Well found Chris. I think that's a glint of gold you can see. What the stones are I wouldn't like to guess at the present. You could try soaking it in a little bi-carb and warm water. Change it at Dayley intervals and be patient.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 02:54:24 AM by Val Beechey » Logged

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 09:44:01 AM »

Hi Val,
           what ever it is that has been deposited onto the ring, it's rock hard and persists in sticking to the ring like chrome to a fitting. Totally unresponsive to the old spit n foil trick; with no smell and no exothermic reaction. Hours in the ultrasound bath has moved a wee bit o rubbish off it. Soaking in bicarb in a foil lined tub........no response.

Being male and being devoid of patience, I popped it back into the sonic bath with a warm bicarb mix and now we are moving a wee bit faster and seeing some movement; with small gas bubbles dancing around the dark metallic material. Going to give it an hour or so and then remove it from the bath and follow your gentler, more patient, directions. Wink

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 07:08:52 PM »

I don't think the silver test would work on gold so inconclusive.
If it were anything other than a possible nice ring I'd have said a hammer would work  Grin

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 07:38:51 PM »

Hi Chris,justva thought,do you know any jewellers well enough to perhaps have an idea of how to clean the ring ?.....or....have a word with your local museum,even better if they have a conservator..after all who knows what Is lying beneath !!!...good luck..👍

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal