Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: This coming Saturday  (Read 13515 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »

And the next question is....................where do you obtain your acids from? When I used to work in the chemical industry  I could have taken the ring to work and given it an acid wash in any one of those acids during the shift. With access to silver nitrate and Hcl we could even silver up old copper coins. Wink

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2016, 05:13:57 PM »

Just had a peep on ebay; loads of acids for sale on there.

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
ancientpat

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2016, 05:18:45 PM »

Hi Chris,
That makes sense about the metal being silver as it always goes black in the salt water, I found so many over the years that I used to give up in the end and not bother with them so I hope you are successful in getting to the bottom of it.
                        Cheers

Pat Wink Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2016, 07:11:30 PM »

This is a strange one for my regular beach Pat. It's not just the blackness but the grit like material that has coated the central section of the ring that has me puzzled. The gold section shone through within moments of recovering the ring but the carborundum like material is sticking like poo to a blanket! Other silver finds off the same beach have been blackened by silver sulfates but have responded well to spit n foil.

I thought silver, white gold, or possibly platinum may be the central section of the ring but then I wondered if rose gold, with it's copper content, may react differently to other materials. What ever it is, I'm in it for the long haul!  Wink

Sadly, most of the stones have long since gone but there are still a couple left in place. I wonder if it was a dress, eternity, or perhaps wedding ring?

Chris Smiley

ancientpat

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2016, 09:21:38 AM »

Hi Chris,
I know exactly what you mean about the crud and I always assumed it meant that it had been buried for a very long time in the sand. Even 9ct rings in the sand for a very long time would break up and fall to pieces if you tried to clean them.

Pat  Wink Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2016, 10:06:34 AM »

As you've found, on eBay you can get most things. I used to get some chemicals from my father, as he was a chemistry lecturer, but now eBay is the main source - I got the Jeweller's picking from Kernowcraft (I think that's what they are called).

My version of the spit and foil cleaning method uses washing soda, which comes in 1kg packets from Asda for 79p and lasts for ages, that's always good for sulphides, although if you want to clean bronzes and coppers apparently using washing powder works better.

The reason your stuff has stuck hard on to the metal is that whatever salt has been created by corrosion products isn't being touched by your current cleaning methods - so it is either too stable or insoluble, but I'm sure you will have it gleaming soon enough. I've never had any practice on any precious metal ring as I've never found one detecting Smiley
ancientpat

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2016, 05:17:30 PM »

Try the Beach Roland !! Plenty available with the right machines,
                                                    Pat.   Wink Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2016, 09:19:41 PM »

Latest update....................

tried all sorts to clean the gritty material from the central section of the ring but to no avail. Even had it pickling in hydrochloric acid for twenty-four hours but never a glimmer of the carborundum like material giving up it's tight grip on the central section of the ring. Giving up, I gently scraped it off with a fine blade.  Shocked

Most of the original stones are missing but perhaps my gold buyer can now ascertain what the silver/white metal may be!

* Puzzle ring.JPG (77.94 KB, 585x413 - viewed 608 times.)

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2016, 10:29:28 PM »

That is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. What is that 'stuff' the stones are sitting in. Has it oozed through from the inside and pushed the stones out of thier settings.
Will be interesting to hear what your jeweller friend has to say about it.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2016, 03:17:40 AM »

Hi  Chris, I have handled many of these rings over the years and they have always been 9ct & silver. The outside bands being 9ct and the centre part of the ring being silver, You should find a stamp to that effect in the centre of the ring if you manage to clean off the crud,. All the ones I've handled the stones were just paste.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 03:21:14 AM by Dryland » Logged

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2016, 07:13:30 PM »

Just can't find any hall marks or markings on the ring at-all but will try my local gold buyer again and see if they can determine what the white metal is. They will buy items made of gold and items made of silver but express no interests in items of mixed metal construction.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal