Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it all worth it ?  (Read 3452 times)
The Bluebird
Rally attendee

« on: August 29, 2016, 07:25:32 AM »

Expecting the answer to be yes, but middle age brings a lot of things and one of my 'wants' is to find our hidden history.  Some of you may remember my previous posts asking about equipment, and I am more than ever thinking about getting a decent detector and giving it a go.  I do have the following concerns/queries:

Where you can detect seems to be a barrier for many, with the sites you would expect some good finds or at least have a lot of history beneath often seems off limits, eg: there must be hoards to be found around the outlaying areas of Caerleon (and other areas of great historic interest) but I'm guessing most expected 'productive' areas would be off limits.  Perhaps I'm wrong??

Is it the done thing to knock on a land owners door and ask permission and is there any customary cost for doing so?

How often do you have your rallies, and does someone always find something of interest?

Is this something 'The Keen' do every weekend or do detectors sit in garages unused for weeks/months on end?   

I'd be grateful of any opinions/view, especially from any beginners.
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 08:13:33 AM »

Well hello and my what a lot of questions..

Only my personal opinion but here we go  in my experience decent finds turn up in the most unlikely places.

Well known historical sites can be poor versus your expectations....

As regards places being out of bounds you mentioned Caerleon for example as long as its not a protected site and you get permission then no problems.

There are many farms close to Caerleon that have had digs on with varied luck.

I myself tend to go out a few times a week weather allowing as being a retired person of 70 odd i am slowing down a bit.

The real secret of this hobby is to go out detecting with an open mind and if you find something older than yourself then its a good day.

For me its the thrill of the unexpected not the item found itself, i love the research before and after.

I carry two finds bags a very small one for decent items and a much larger one for rubbish.

Go knocking on doors and expect many refusals be grateful when you get a yes...as regards a fee thats entirely up to you

mostly its a 50-50 agreement on a handshake if anything rare or expensive turns up....in my case anyway.

I have been metal detecting since 1960...!!

Good luck and enjoy the hobby......PaulB.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:16:12 AM by dragonsbreath(Paul) » Logged

Greetings from the Dragon.
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 06:18:11 PM »

Hi Bluebird,i agree 100%wit the comments of "Dragonsbreath(Paul)...I go detecting with a completely open mind with regards to finds,i am a well retired bloke who sometimes meets up with a fellow detectorist,we are both of the same mind regarding finds,w e meet up have a pretty detect natter an then go our separate ways detecting on the same field.
We stop for a bite to eat,have a good old natter putting the world to right,and discussing what finds we have, if any !!!and any other topics that springs to mind then we get back onto the field until were well and truly knackered and  get back to the cars,discuss finds and each go our separate ways...I find that this is a fantastic way to get out and get exercise,have a good natter,and enjoy the FANTASTIC hobby of Metal detecting.
With regards to obtaining permissions,i found its the numbers game,do some homework,find out who the landowners are,take you self out armed with a list of prospects,and just bang on the door and ask for permission!!..you will get turned down again and again but eventually you will get a yes,its the numbers game,and once you have secured a permission,and the landowner gets to know and trust you,ask him about giving you a mention to his neighbouring landowner,well that's the way I went about it and it certainly worked for me,i now have three permissions one on the back of the others.
I always show all my interesting finds to the landowner at the end of the year and he keeps them to look again his own time,and then he hands them back to me in his good time.
I Always make sure that all the landowners  have a bottle of Scotch and their wives have either chocolates or a festive bunch of blooms.
With regards to what detector you buy,well I would definitely not go for anything too complicated or expensive as it will only confuse you and put you off .and its always worth a shot looking at second hand metal detector dealers,you can get some good deals.
Well Bluebird,apologies for going on a bit,hope you decide to start this great hobby.and if you do so decide I will look forward to seeing all your finds..so ,GOOD HUNTING..👍
Trefor Meirionnydd

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 04:58:29 PM »

Hello Bluebird,

I'm new but keen and for years had found various excuses for not getting a detector. The main reason was having nowhere to go to detecting and nobody to go with. To be honest I was not brave enough to ask any of the local land owners if I could detect on their land. Anyway, now that I live close to the sea I recently decided that I would buy a detector and detect on the local beaches - there are loads not far from me and only a Crown Estate permit is required. I'm just getting started in that area and there is not yet much to report apart from an abundance of rubbish.

I thought that was it but by chance this afternoon I saw a farmer on his tractor cutting grass in a nearby field and on the spur of the moment I decided I had nothing to lose by asking him if I could detect on his land. Blow me down he said "Yes". He said he was quite happy for me to detect when he had finished removing the grass as long as I didn't leave any holes in the ground. I had prepared myself for a refusal but was pleasantly surprised. I'm not going to set my expectations too high but I'm looking forward to getting out there on the dirt.

So far, things seem to have started off well - all I need to do now is find something worth finding! I would love to have somewhere else to detect on land but I guess there's no mad rush. I have also registered for my first rally and am looking forward to that. Hopefully things will keep going in the right direction.

That's my beginner's point of view but I realise I have a lot to learn - I've only just worked out which way up to hold the detector  Cheesy
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 07:23:35 PM »

The 1st yes is the most important whether you find anything of value or not. Get friendly with the Farmer, report in when you can and keep him in the loop. Don't be frightened to ask him about any history in the area that he knows about (but don't get too excited about the 'Roman Road' that runs through the far field ! !)  they all seem to have one  Roll Eyes
You might be surprised how much he knows and he might even give you the nod on a neighbours fields and drop a few names into the conversation.
Also you can name drop when you go and ask for permission yourself in the area. These Farmers all know each other and may think if it's o.k. with old Bill down the lane then it'll be o.k with them.
Happy Hunting.  And YES it's definitely worth it when you eventually find something nice. It doesn't have to be a hoard. Wink

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal