Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie from Anglesey  (Read 4823 times)
angleseyartist
Rally attendee

« on: September 04, 2016, 08:55:58 PM »

Hi all
Im from Anglesey and have just bought a Euro Ace to start with. I tried a friends field and i found some bottle caps and some bits of stone which had high signals .. Im sure its ore or coke... as its dark but i kept digging them up. Obviously I am new to the hobby and its to be expected.
Any info or advice on starting out and obtaining any local permissions would be much appreciated.

Is anyone else here from Anglesey /Gwynedd areas?
Regards
Paul
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 10:26:07 AM »

Welcome to the Forum Paul. I'm sure you'll find it a helpful site. Don't be worried about asking for advice, there's always someone who'll have an answer for you.
Look forward to seeing some of your finds. Happy Hunting.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Trefor Meirionnydd

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 06:58:11 PM »

Hello Paul,
I'm new to detecting myself and to the forum. I live in Dolgellau and there are lots of long sandy beaches nearby and a field or two that I have just got access to. I'm semi retired but work and the horrible weather seem to be getting in the way at the moment. So far not much from the beaches but I've had 53p in change, an 1862 Victoria penny and some odd and ends from the field.
I can easily understand how this can become addictive...
angleseyartist
Rally attendee

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 08:41:27 PM »

Welcome to the Forum Paul. I'm sure you'll find it a helpful site. Don't be worried about asking for advice, there's always someone who'll have an answer for you.
Look forward to seeing some of your finds. Happy Hunting.

Hi Val
Thank you for your message
I will try and go out again after i finish work tomorrow afternoon. if the weathers nice i will give it a go again on the same field i tried the other day.
I kept digging up stones that were showing up as signals .
If i played about with the discrimination on the garret Euro Ace to miss these stones will it stop me finding any treasure ? Smiley
Thanks again
Paul
angleseyartist
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 08:49:33 PM »

Hello Paul,
I'm new to detecting myself and to the forum. I live in Dolgellau and there are lots of long sandy beaches nearby and a field or two that I have just got access to. I'm semi retired but work and the horrible weather seem to be getting in the way at the moment. So far not much from the beaches but I've had 53p in change, an 1862 Victoria penny and some odd and ends from the field.
I can easily understand how this can become addictive...

Hi Trefor
Thank you for your message also
How did you find beach detecting?
I gave my garret Euro ace a go on the beach and it went bonkers with signals. so then i went and tried a field and that seemed much better for practice .
What kind of detector have you got?
I have also been reading up on a lot of history of my local area on Anglesey and looking at some old maps.
Have you tried out national library of Scotland maps?
It is really good you can search for your village or town and click on the maps and scroll through side by side. which shows you now and then.
Best of luck with hunting
Im half way to  retirement yet but I am my own boss since the past two years so i can sneak out of work when i feel which is quite nice .Smiley
I still feel like im doing something wrong when i do though
Regard
Paul
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 09:31:53 PM »

I've never used a Garrett detector myself but I know from others they love 'coke' so I don't think you'll be able to discrim it out.
You will soon get used to the sound of it though and can decide wether to ignore or dig. They don't think much of wet sand either though I know some do use them on the beach. It all comes down to 'the learning curve' getting used to the detector and what you can and can't do with it.
I bought a Minelab Safari a few years back and someone told me it would take 12 months to get to know it !!  He wasn't wrong. Patience is a virtue they say  Roll Eyes

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 10:27:36 PM »

welcome to the forum, my wife had a Garrett euro ace and it was a proper coin magnet on the dry sand and also inland good luck on the dry sand just drop the sensitivity a bit,  and she hunted in coin mode or relic believe me the garrett euro ace loves them coins
angleseyartist
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 03:07:39 PM »

I've never used a Garrett detector myself but I know from others they love 'coke' so I don't think you'll be able to discrim it out.
You will soon get used to the sound of it though and can decide wether to ignore or dig. They don't think much of wet sand either though I know some do use them on the beach. It all comes down to 'the learning curve' getting used to the detector and what you can and can't do with it.
I bought a Minelab Safari a few years back and someone told me it would take 12 months to get to know it !!  He wasn't wrong. Patience is a virtue they say  Roll Eyes
Thank you for the advice . I  shall give it a go tonight and il also try and get use to it in the fields before i think of beach detecting again Smiley

Have you ever done any searching over Anglesey?
angleseyartist
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 03:10:30 PM »

welcome to the forum, my wife had a Garrett euro ace and it was a proper coin magnet on the dry sand and also inland good luck on the dry sand just drop the sensitivity a bit,  and she hunted in coin mode or relic believe me the garrett euro ace loves them coins

Thank you Congerman?
I take it your a fisherman? I had a huge conger years ago in Benllech almost 5 ft off the rocks.. Terrified me !!
I will have a go again this evening and see what i can find .im just getting use to all the beeps and dongs it makes .. no coins yet. hopefully i will find one soon  Smiley
Are you local?
Regards
Paul
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 06:04:56 PM »

Hi ya matey,regarding the performance of the Garrett Euro ACEi stated out with an ACE 250 ,that's when I decided to call myself & dingdong on the forum.... dingdong dingdong etc !!!drove me mad at first but once I got used to the different "Dingdong's I started finding some quite nice bits and pieces,and in actual fact I found my first hammered coin with a Garrett ACE 250.
Now on a different note,wih regard to beach detecting with the ACE,ifound a fair bit of spendable coinage,but only on the dry top of the beach sand.he detector didn't like the wet sand at all,even when I made adjustments,mind you perhaps I didn't persevere long enough.
Mind you,if your serious about beach detecting,get yourself a a MINELAB Sovereign GT or similar,possibly the best beach detector ever made,and now you can pick one up secondhand for about the same price of an ACE250,the only drawback is as with all Minelab's their a bit heavy for long detecting sessions.
Anyway,i look forward to seeing all your finds,and or beach...good hunting...👍
Trefor Meirionnydd

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 08:26:05 PM »

Hi Paul,
When I looked into this I had absolutely nowhere to go except the beaches so I did some research and a Garrett Seahunter seemed to fit the bill. I've found lots of 'seasidey' and odd stuff but nothing remarkable as yet, although I haven't been at it long of course. It will detect pretty much anything and everything on wet and dry sand although it's hard to discriminate some stuff out. Fortunately the beaches are very clean of rubbish and I'm happy with it so far. Of course, as soon as I spent my money I got the chance to detect on land... a rush of blood to the head and... I got myself an AT Pro. I think I must be slightly bonkers but you only live once and my wife has a sense of humour. So far it's been great. In the short time I've had it i'm up to 74p in 'new pence' and an 1862 penny, and today I found 1862 and 1909 halfpennies and my first 'silver' - 1859 and 1880 shillings. I can't believe what a thrill it was when these appeared!
Anyway, I'm sure there are alternative machines that do a better job but I'm going to stick with these now and see how I get on - I can only push my luck so far. Hope to get up to the Anglesey beaches some time now the holidaymakers have gone.
Happy Hunting.
angleseyartist
Rally attendee

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 07:41:09 PM »

Hi ya matey,regarding the performance of the Garrett Euro ACEi stated out with an ACE 250 ,that's when I decided to call myself & dingdong on the forum.... dingdong dingdong etc !!!drove me mad at first but once I got used to the different "Dingdong's I started finding some quite nice bits and pieces,and in actual fact I found my first hammered coin with a Garrett ACE 250.
Now on a different note,wih regard to beach detecting with the ACE,ifound a fair bit of spendable coinage,but only on the dry top of the beach sand.he detector didn't like the wet sand at all,even when I made adjustments,mind you perhaps I didn't persevere long enough.
Mind you,if your serious about beach detecting,get yourself a a MINELAB Sovereign GT or similar,possibly the best beach detector ever made,and now you can pick one up secondhand for about the same price of an ACE250,the only drawback is as with all Minelab's their a bit heavy for long detecting sessions.
Anyway,i look forward to seeing all your finds,and or beach...good hunting...👍
Thank Ding dong haha good name !
I see what you mean about the ding dongs like bell ringing noises.I went out yesterday and had a mess around with it and in the same field i tried last week. i found a few bits nothing good though. a few old thick square nails  and some foil and a handle from something im sure its silver ish but not like solid silver more of a mix or pottery and metal. odd consistency to it. I will try and find out
Im not really into beach detecting as sand drives me insane it gets everywhere!!
It seems to like coke .. the field i went to has lots of it so i will try and get another permission asap Smiley
Thank you for message Smiley
Im reading local history books trying to find some good places to try out
Regards
Paul
angleseyartist
Rally attendee

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 07:55:01 PM »

Hi Paul,
When I looked into this I had absolutely nowhere to go except the beaches so I did some research and a Garrett Seahunter seemed to fit the bill. I've found lots of 'seasidey' and odd stuff but nothing remarkable as yet, although I haven't been at it long of course. It will detect pretty much anything and everything on wet and dry sand although it's hard to discriminate some stuff out. Fortunately the beaches are very clean of rubbish and I'm happy with it so far. Of course, as soon as I spent my money I got the chance to detect on land... a rush of blood to the head and... I got myself an AT Pro. I think I must be slightly bonkers but you only live once and my wife has a sense of humour. So far it's been great. In the short time I've had it i'm up to 74p in 'new pence' and an 1862 penny, and today I found 1862 and 1909 halfpennies and my first 'silver' - 1859 and 1880 shillings. I can't believe what a thrill it was when these appeared!
Anyway, I'm sure there are alternative machines that do a better job but I'm going to stick with these now and see how I get on - I can only push my luck so far. Hope to get up to the Anglesey beaches some time now the holidaymakers have gone.
Happy Hunting.
Congratulations on your find Trefor
Sounds like you have sussed your machine out .Ive been down that way fishing but dont know it that well.
Did you find the silvers in a field or beach?
Anglesey is nice and full of great places and history and sheep! Smiley
The Holiday makers are going slowly now as most paces shut end of season end of this month. so the beaches a not as busy
Even though im surrounded by them i rarely even go on them myself
Your wife sounds understanding .. Its funny how so many grown men i know have to worry about telling their partners they have been buying gadgets and stuff incase our wifes tell us off
I have to lie about how much my fishing lures cost .. and the metal detector cost me 90 pounds...apparently .. haha

shhhhhh!!
Im sure the ladies are the same but we dont know.. haha

Il keep an eye out for your finds.
Did you get some pictures up?
Paul

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal