Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old(ish) but a noob to detecting  (Read 3162 times)
Trefor Meirionnydd

« on: August 13, 2016, 05:06:11 PM »

Greetings all. Detecting is one of those things that I have continually put off until now. How I wish I had started sooner!

I have no 'land' permissions but do have literally miles of beach on my doorstep so that's where I have decided to start. Any advice would be gratefully received. The beach I have started on seems to be very clean but I have found one or two items of 'er treasure... It's good to know there's such an active community of detector(ist)s in Wales.

Trev in Dolgellau.
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 06:35:20 PM »

Hi Trev,first and foremost a very warm welcome to the Detecting Wales forum,its Al ways great to see new names appearing on the forum.
There is a wealth of information to be had from a very large group of dedicated metal detectorist's always there to offer advice on all aspects of this great and fascinating hobby of ours.
Never be afraid to ask your questions even if they are basic newbie questions,after all we all had to start somewhere at some time or another !!...
What metal detector do you have,or plan on getting ?if your only going to concentrate on beach detecting,make sure that you have a beach compatable detector.
If you need any information please ask.
Good hunting,and I look forward to seeing all your finds...👍
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 06:59:26 PM »

Hello Trev and welcome to DW.  All the above, nicely put Chris. Best of luck with your beach tectecting. I always think it's the hardest way to earn a crust but get drawn back to my local beach by the call of the Sea. Hope you like lots of walking.
Like you and quite a few other members I wish I'd started this hobby a few years earlier. Time seems to over take us as we get older without us noticing.
Any questions, just ask. Look forward to seeing some of your finds. 

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 07:23:11 PM »

welcome to the forum
scara
NWDD Member

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 09:28:12 PM »

Trev

Welcome aboard, great friendly forum here.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 09:30:35 PM »

Hi Trev, welcome to D/W, with miles of sand to search it won't be long before the Bling will appear. Good luck.... Wink
Trefor Meirionnydd

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 07:05:37 PM »

Thank you all for your kind welcome. From what I can see, everyone here is very friendly and helpful.

I got the impression that land permissions were a bit tricky and the huge beaches from Aberystwyth to Porthmadog seemed to provide the answer so I bought myself a Garrett sea Hunter, joined the NCMD and got a permit for detecting on the foreshore. I think I have walked more miles than I usually do over the past few weeks (you're right Val) but I do need the exercise and it's great just to get out more. The finds so far vary from a shovel head to fishing weights and hooks to a spark plug, nail and other odds and ends but then you never know what's coming next!

I've only just started so I've got a lot to learn about where to go and when but I'm sure that will come with time and experience. I look forward to being a part of the forum (and learning lots) and maybe doing some proper detecting on land one day...

Thanks again, I'm pleased to be aboard.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 08:24:18 PM »

Ha Ha love the list of finds. Takes me back a bit. Wait till you walk over a man-hole cover about 4in down  Roll Eyes
Eventually you get to recognise most of the sounds, it saves a lot of digging. Just dig all the little two way signals. You might end up with a lot of nails and hair clips but you won't miss the rings.
Happy Hunting

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal