Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Garrett Ace 250 or Garrett AT Pro for newbie  (Read 13304 times)
spaceonwhite

« on: June 29, 2016, 12:48:09 PM »

Hi all,

I'm completely new to metal detecting to the point that I have never actually held one in my life. It's a hobby that has always held a fascination for me and I've finally decided to make the jump into the metal detecting world for the first time, despite the raised eyebrows of my wife!

Having read pages and pages of internet articles on various metal detectors, I'm torn between 2 models, the Garrett Ace 250 and the Garrett AT Pro. There is a fair bit of a price difference but I wouldn't want to outgrow the Ace 250 too soon and visa versa I'm concerned the AT Pro would have too many features for me to get my head around at this early stage. I'm leaning towards the AT Pro as I think over time I will learn to master it but I'd be grateful for any advice from experienced members!

Cheers.

Jeff (From Cardiff)
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 01:56:29 PM »

Hi Jeff , i will go for the AT pro save you buying  another detector in a year time . Best of luck and welcome on DW.

Nap.
spaceonwhite

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 02:42:14 PM »

Thanks Nap.

That's what I was thinking, as long as the controls are manageable for a newbie!

dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 05:18:03 PM »

Hi,'Spaceonwhite',a very warm welcome to themDetecting Wales forum.
With regards to your choice of metal detector,you can't go wrong with any of the Garrett range of metal detectors.
Myself and many of us started out on the Garrett ACE 250,and found my very first hammered coin with such a machine.
Have you considered the Garrett EURO ACE or perhaps the new ACE 400i
They are good start up machines,and possibly a bit less expensive than he Garrett AT PRO.
Have a look at some second hand machines,One company that has always been a good reliable source of used machines is www.staffsmetaldetectors.co.uk
I he guy hat runs it is called Kevin.
Have bought several detectors off him and I have always found him very fair an reliable.
Anyway,good luck with whatever you choose,and I look forward to seeing all of your finds on the DETECTING WALES FORUM
Good hunting....👍
spaceonwhite

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 06:49:22 PM »

Hi dingdong,

Thank you for your advice, it's a great help. I'll definitely take a look at the Garrett Euro ACE and the ACE 400i. I'll also take a look at the staffmetaldetectors website.

I'm looking forward to posting finds in the very near future  Smiley
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 12:50:48 PM »

The Garretts are certainly good for finding things - and for their comparative ease of use - I made the mistake of buying quite a complicated detector when I finally got around to detecting, and it took buying a Teknetics T2 (only a few controls) to learn how to detect properly (with help from friends as well), although I now use the complicated detector too!.
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 01:21:01 PM »

Hi again Spaceonwhite perhaps you should also consider the MACRO RACER metal detector.
Either the earlier one or the New MACRO RACER 2.
Very easy to set up,not expensive,very light to swing,and is also very capable of detecting on wet salty sand (beach mode) it is also quite a deep machine.
Take a look at the Racer on U-TUBE......very impressive machine ...
Good hunting....👍
spaceonwhite

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 02:55:09 PM »

Thanks Probono, that's what I was concerned about so I think I will take your advice  Smiley

Thanks to you too Dingdong, I'll take a look on Youtube. I also quite like the look of the ACE 400i you recommended  Smiley
phill
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 07:00:35 PM »

hi Jeff live in cwmbran up road from you just bought the Garrett 400i newbie here to really enjoying machine  haven't been out only in
garden due to rain . but if you want i can answer any questions about it also can give you my mobile or home number phill
spaceonwhite

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 12:44:28 PM »

Hi Phil, Good to hear that you're pleased with the Garrett 400i. I think it's going to be the detector that I'm going to purchase and thanks for the offer of your tel number too. Now I just have to tell the wife  Shocked
bodybuilder27
Rally attendee

Equinox

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 05:07:52 PM »

Hi all,

I'm completely new to metal detecting to the point that I have never actually held one in my life. It's a hobby that has always held a fascination for me and I've finally decided to make the jump into the metal detecting world for the first time, despite the raised eyebrows of my wife!

Having read pages and pages of internet articles on various metal detectors, I'm torn between 2 models, the Garrett Ace 250 and the Garrett AT Pro. There is a fair bit of a price difference but I wouldn't want to outgrow the Ace 250 too soon and visa versa I'm concerned the AT Pro would have too many features for me to get my head around at this early stage. I'm leaning towards the AT Pro as I think over time I will learn to master it but I'd be grateful for any advice from experienced members!

Cheers.

Jeff (From Cardiff)

Neither, get the Makro Racer 2.

Matt.
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 05:17:21 PM »

Yep !!...gotta go with Matt on that one,....however saying that it's what your happy with that counts...good hunting...👍
Chainsaw Bampy

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 06:36:50 PM »

hi jeff i have an ace 250 and i have just bought an at pro a couple of weeks ago,  the ace 250 is a good easy to use machine however if you can afford the at pro then i would go with that its a very good machine also waterproof up to a depth of 10 ft thats with the waterproof headphones [its sold with the land headphones not the waterproof ones they cost extra]  it has a pro mode and a standard mode for the less experienced detectorist. the control box it self can be washed off with a hosepipe as shown on you tube, mind you i dont do that i got a cover to keep it clean from mucky fingers.theres  lots of advice on settings and how to use the at pro and the ace 250 on you tube and detecting sites,  i hope this info helps and good luck out on the fields,   gary
Chainsaw Bampy

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 06:39:39 PM »

hey jeff i forgot to say might bump into one another one day i am from caerphilly.  good luck mate
bodybuilder27
Rally attendee

Equinox

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 05:14:48 PM »

If I was you mate, i'd get a Makro Racer 2.

Cheaper and better than the AT Pro and Ace 250.....especially on the beach.

I've owned the Racer 2 for over a year and it's AWESOME everywhere.....pasture, dry sand, wet sand, black sand, even under water.

No falsing.

If you even mention the word wet sand to the AT Pro or Ace 250....they would both start crying and falsing all over the place.

Makro racer 2 all the way!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSsKaRJDoAA

Matt.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 05:22:36 PM by bodybuilder27 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal