Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Test driving the Nel Big coil at Talacre  (Read 2639 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: May 22, 2016, 04:41:48 PM »

Well, the blurb says that it is heavy, Val said it was heavy, Chris said it was heavy, and I knew it was heavy. I didn't realise just how heavy it was to swing for two hours! It had come well packed and even included a bar of East European chocolate as a sweetener.

With weather being fine, I made it to Talacre by 0600 hrs  and headed directly to a small area that I have often worked before. I thoroughly worked an area of a little over twenty square meters. By eight fifteen and after eking out five coins from what I had come to assume was a barren area, my right arm was killing me. By 0835 hrs I was done in and started back up the beach. I normally swing the Safari as I return to the car, but not this morning.; it was too much like hard work.

My next visit will be using a bungee harness that I bought the other year but haven't yet used. As for the coins; I had one George VI sixpence, one George VI Three penny bit, one Elizabeth II Ship Halfpenny, and two spendable 5p pieces.Not a princely sum but hopefully that will come later.  Grin

Pinpointing wit h the Nel Big coil didn't seem to be too much of a problem but it did appear to keep occasionally picking up the lace eyelets on my leather boots and I had to make sure that my spade and headphone cable were kept well back.

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 05:28:24 PM »

Well Chris,congratulations on your first venture out with the "big un"
You certainly earned the finds that you found,well done !!and I'm sure that with the aid of a bungee harness you will find (in all sense's) that things will be better all round.
I am hoping to get out this Wednesday on the beach,so,fingers crossed.
Good hunting Chris......."be in touch"..👍
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 06:25:08 PM »

Thanks Chris and good luck on the beach.

I'm thinking of getting a sand scoop to try and ease the stress on the old back but can't make my mind up as to which one to buy; they are so expensive. There is an East European supplier that reckons they produce a big selection of sand scoops at very reasonable prices but I have never heard of them before.  Undecided 

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 08:15:22 PM »

Top marks Chris. Coins wel deserved. I s'pose there is an argument there that you don't cover any more ground than with the ordinary coil.
With one you could cover more ground but can't last as long so you don't. With the other you cover the same amount of ground because you keep going longer.
The big coil might give you arm ache but it saves the old legs. Let's hope the bungee makes up the difference. Think how much more you'll find  Wink

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 07:57:10 AM »

Thanks Val,

none of the coins were deeper than eight inches, so it wasn't a matter of the Nel Big coil seeking deeper targets. Not yet anyway. Perhaps the fact that I was forced to swing the coil slower had something to do with it. Plan B and C are to include the use of the bungee harness and perhaps a decent sand scoop.  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal