Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Detecting Wales Rally 92 – The Eighteen Pence Rally  (Read 6140 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: May 19, 2016, 12:07:05 PM »

Detecting Wales Rally 92 – The Eighteen Pence Rally

I don’t think we had ever headed towards Abergavenny before and so when Mike first mentioned scouring the area for suitable farms we jumped at the opportunity. Unfortunately this farm had to be postponed on two occasions due to the inclement weather we had in Spring, but last Sunday it was warm and good to go. In theory Abergavenny and the surrounding are is a bit of a prime location as the area is steeped in Roman and Medieval history and was historically one of the richest towns in Wales.

Mike and I arrived nice and early to find the field gate already open and a few of you parked up and waiting to go. For todays playground we had just under 200 acres of pasture and one freshly rolled and seeded field that it turned out also had a fair bit of green waste in it.

Usual start up with a few speeches and we were quickly into the fields with members heading off in various locations to their preferred starting points. About this time a nearby friendly neighbour arrived to enquire as to what we up to. I held myself back from giving the flaming obvious answer and asked as to which field he would detect if he was me? His response was “Here, in the grounds of the house where Captain Morgan used to live”. Now there are numerous tales of Captain Henry Morgan mainly as one of the most notorious privateers in the Caribbean. He certainly owned a house in Cardiff and Newport and this chap was adamant that he owned the house I was now looking at.

So with my head full of pirate treasure chests and muttering the word “Argh” regularly under my breath off I headed. Alas no pieces of eight were to materialise, but there were a few bits of silver throughout the day.

I am without a pocket camera at the moment and don’t wish to slug an SLR around the fields so huge thanks to Handyman and Proconsol for taking a few snaps.

One of the nicest finds of the day was a Pilgrims Ampulla that to my untrained eye appears to have a gothic script AD on the reverse presumably for Agnes Dei (The Lamb of God).

These ampulla were brought from pilgrimage places as a souvenir and are holly water bottles made of lead and date 12th to 16thC that were I believe sewn via their lugs to a pilgrims clothing. Presumably for easy carrying purposes and to mark someone out as a pilgrim for safe passage.

Its suggested that many ampullae were used in the annual springtime ’Blessing the Fields’ ceremony, in which the Holy Water they contained was sprinkled on the ground to give prayer for a good harvest. Having served this purpose, the ampullae were either discarded or buried along with their contents for a similar purpose. A great find and it needs a bit more research.

The first hammered of the day appeared for the aptly named Detectingly and was a Charles 1st sixpence. Who sadly had lost a lot of his profile side.

Sixpences seemed to be the theme of the day as Jeff The Wizard soon popped up with one that had been turned into a love token and presumably thrown away in disgust.

I also managed to get in amongst the sixpences myself having a rare three silver day (eighteen pence in total). Starting with a sixpence dated 1944 literally just a few steps away from having a chat with a few other detectorists. After lunch we opened another field on the other side of the road (although two were bizarrely already in it) and along the stream banking I found my first hammered of the year that I am cautiously describing as a Lizzy sixpence – any help out there. Shortly after this I had a chat with Proconsol and within minutes I now had a William III sixpence (Exeter mint) in my pocket. Came out a purple colour, which has happened to me before when I sound a George III half-crown. A Three silver day is not to be sniffed at particularly since I haven’t had one for a little while. Also pleased to see the trusty Explorer II can still bang the coins out on pasture despite being over 15 years old. No matter what anyone says they are still a hard machine to beat on pasture.

Throughout the day I got to see some nice examples of Georgian coinage, spindle whorls, musket balls, Copper pennies, a decent pen knife, celebratory medal, remains of a toy cannon,and a trade weight. The general sort of stuff we all regularly find, but nothing if I am honest that was breath taking.

I think the total on the hammered front that I saw was around six. The last one I got to see was found by Mark much to the despair of Dryland who is on a dry spell at the moment. I aslo heard of a Roman coin and fibula but unfortunately never got to see them. In fairness this was a huge farm and with hindsight, I think if we had concentrated ourselves to fewer fields we could arguably made more finds.

While I think about it, there was a bit of a strange practice today of someone digging holes and leaving the iron they were finding (we are talking huge iron lumps) on top of their hole! Why you are digging this in the first place, I have no idea. Secondly don’t leave it on top of the pasture. Its not something we normally see and was mentioned to me by a few people and I even spotted one myself. I can only guess it’s a newbie to DW as we don’t normally have this problem. Take your rubbish home with you please or at the very least deposit it at the base of a hedgerow. If I catch you, we won’t have you on a DW rally again.

Mike and I headed off after 4pm, intently listening to Spurs throwing away the second spot in favour of Arsenal. I thing he was sick of me banging on about my finds when he finally kicked me out of the car!

Until we meet again

Keep the Faith
Neil

* DSC06011.JPG (68.37 KB, 512x478 - viewed 517 times.)

* DSC06014.JPG (225.15 KB, 912x460 - viewed 529 times.)

* DSC06015.JPG (208.29 KB, 800x456 - viewed 522 times.)

* DSC06018.JPG (72.29 KB, 446x512 - viewed 526 times.)

* DSC06021.JPG (161.7 KB, 720x492 - viewed 514 times.)

* DSC06022.JPG (154.39 KB, 720x483 - viewed 504 times.)

* DSC06023.JPG (132.77 KB, 912x439 - viewed 563 times.)

* DSC06020.JPG (147.09 KB, 912x419 - viewed 540 times.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:27:04 PM by handyman [Alan} » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 12:10:25 PM »

Photos

* photo 1.JPG (124.46 KB, 640x478 - viewed 519 times.)

* photo 2.JPG (88.21 KB, 640x478 - viewed 525 times.)

* photo 4.JPG (105.68 KB, 640x478 - viewed 695 times.)

* photo 5.JPG (141.23 KB, 640x478 - viewed 674 times.)

* DSC_0010.JPG (68.65 KB, 640x426 - viewed 669 times.)

* DSC_0012 (2).JPG (64.74 KB, 640x426 - viewed 995 times.)

* DSC_0014.JPG (71.97 KB, 640x426 - viewed 970 times.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:28:28 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 04:12:18 PM »

Thanks very much NEIL for a very informative account of events,and a big "well done" to all those who had recordable finds,and for those who perhaps weren't so lucky"better luck next time"
Always a delight to read the Rally account of the day,and its something that I really look forward to reading after the event...👍
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:01:50 AM by dingdong » Logged
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 05:15:55 PM »

great report as always neil , well done to all that found and attended , 3 silvers indeed  Sad thats just greedy  Wink Wink Smiley

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 05:23:30 PM »

Great read guys well done all hopefully next I wont havehave to work.....

hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 06:38:57 PM »

A good read and some nice finds. Well done all.

XP Deus user
ian the nomad

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 08:12:44 PM »

Was sorry not to make the did so its great to read such a comprehensive report. Glad some had some good finds. Many thanks

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal