Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you do  (Read 6067 times)
wittsy1

Where am I?

« on: March 10, 2016, 11:32:14 AM »

A while back, I posted about an ongoing treasure case I've got involving a scattered hoard of Roman Coins. The original find was back in February 2015 and I have found a few more coins at the location over the past few months, which have been forwarded on to FLO to be added to the Treasure case. The FLO are not going to come and do a dig because of a lack in funding, but I believe there is a lot more to be found, probably to deep for my detector to pick up. I have told the farmer that I suspect there are more coins to be found. Now his wife is pushing him to scrape the area with his mini digger, obviously with me in attendance. I don't think anyone can stop him doing this and if he decides to do it, I have told him that if anything significant is uncovered we should stop and inform FLO at once.

Has anyone got any opinions on this course of action. Thoughts both for and against would be greatly appreciated. 
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 01:10:16 PM »

I would suggest asking the FLO for further advice on this one. Oh, and get it in writing. Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
b.buoy
NWDD Member

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 03:15:04 PM »

The FLO will likely try and put him off but if it his land and there is no schedule in the immediate area I can see no reason why he couldn't have a bit of a scrape or shallow dig. I would definitely suggest stopping if anything does appear to be there and informing the proper authority before continuing. Otherwise it will be put on a file as a "potential interest" area and because of lack of funding may never be looked at again in his and your lifetime.
Why cant the FLO make himself available in his own time when you do the initial scraping?
Just asking.
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 06:21:21 PM »

Hemmm!!! Very interesting one STEVE,I think if I were in that predicament I would go for the farmer doing a monitered, possibly even video to record the event.
But prior to that I would inform the FLO about your intention to do an exploratory scrape,giving a time and date of such an action should they wish to attend and observe the proceedure and by so doing you have shown that you are a truly responsible Metal detectorist,and you have been shown to do the right thing.
And you have effectively given them (FLO) an option.
But as I say,its purely how I would proceed,
Very interesting predicament !!and I will follow the topic through .👍
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 08:59:56 PM »

I understand the lack of funds situation ,If the FLO can't be bothered in his own time and the farmer is willing to scrape of 6 inches at a time then get and do it I would....I had a small purse drop and had a foot removed and uncovered a few more. No reason what so ever you can't do it, obviously if you come across any structures or foundations stop and inform the lazy FLO  Grin can't believe he or she wouldn't over see it, no doubt if you uncovered the
 the mother load they will then get in on the act. Lol....good luck. Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 10:55:03 AM »

When I found my hoard, I told everyone at the museum, expecting them to rush up and dig straight away, but it didn't happen.

After 4 months I got permission from the farmer to excavate (2m x 2m square), with photographic records, by hand with a trowel, but not on the hoard site itself, but next to it.

Eventually quite some time later, the museum did turn up and they dug a strip - again not over the hoard site (they listened to my father, who said he knew better than me where the hoard was...........)

In the report at the coroners, I was a bit disappointed that they made it sound as if I had dug the place up within a week or two of finding the hoard and made no mention of the fact it was done properly.

The farmer had offered to 'plough' that area - but I've always asked him not to - I'd wanted to wait until the museum turned up.
IFINDNOTHING

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 12:51:18 PM »

If the area is small, borrow a pulse induction detector, same as taking another 6" off the top Smiley

Quote "Don't ever give up hope, there's something out there, all you have to do is hold on and believe" Axl Rose-1988
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 11:12:10 PM »

If the area is small, borrow a pulse induction detector, same as taking another 6" off the top Smiley

I tried that but where I detect there were lots of nails and there's still hot rocks and minerals - the PI was pinging away all the time.
wittsy1

Where am I?

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 06:15:09 AM »

Thank you all for your views. I don't think my FLO is lazy, it would be a 240 mile round trip for him if he where to come and witness any dig, but I think I will let him know what the farmer is thinking of doing so at least he has the choice to come down. I will probably film and photograph as well.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal