Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Animals just seem to love my company!  (Read 4998 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: February 04, 2016, 10:25:40 PM »

I am amazed how animals seem to love the company of metal detectorists. I have noticed that I can get a lot closer to wading birds whilst I am swinging the detector; do they think that we are just bigger wading creatures that offer them no threat?  One winter whilst out detecting with the NWDD group, I popped over a wall into a field full of sheep. Normally sheep just walk away. Nope, not that day. The whole flock came galloping towards me. Me! I doubled back over the wall like an antelope. Daily Thompson would have been proud of me.

Whilst detecting on one of my regular equestrian permissions I noticed one horse in the field that had some old footballs close to him. As I got closer, he pranced slightly and neared a ball whilst looking back and to; from the ball to me and from me to the ball. I fealt sure that he wanted me to run over and kick his balls but I wasn't for playing and broke eye contact and gave him a wide berth

And as for dogs............... I can't count the number of canine creatures that love to run over and join me whilst I am trying to recover a target. Big dogs, little dogs, young dogs, old dogs, fast dogs and slow dogs; they all want to have fun. I still can't suss it, I've even tried changing my soap, all to no avail! Bloody critters will run hundreds of yards just to join me.

Whilst sifting through some of my scrap I finally think I may have the answer to the dog mystery..............they are looking for their lost dog tags.  Grin

* Doggy tags.jpg (224.88 KB, 556x378 - viewed 475 times.)

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
raistlain

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 12:19:28 AM »

ha ha animals hate me they always go for me....the wife says she understands how they feel  Roll Eyes
wittsy1

Where am I?

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 06:54:13 AM »

One of my farmers rents a field out to a gypsy fellow to graze his horses, I've only been in that particular field once, one of the little so and so's followed me every where and every chance he got he tried to nip me on the arm. Must go back though, the field is surrounded by history.
marknewbury1

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 11:53:04 AM »

As for the birds the waiting for the worms I was deatecting in a horsefield last year bent down to digg a hole Wallop the beast flattened me once bitten one Shy I've worked with farm animals all my life Huh
Cymro

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 12:20:53 PM »

I fealt sure that he wanted me to run over and kick his balls

Shocked Roll Eyes

That's just cruel.

We have a permission with the world's noisiest (and nosiest) cows - when they see us they come galloping over and bellow at us. Can't hear the detector even through ear defender headphones, so we try to find out where they are before we start and avoid that field!
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 04:39:09 PM »

Horses seem to like me , must be my aftershave ... 😉

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
Cymro

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 04:57:53 PM »

Horses seem to like me , must be my aftershave ... 😉

Are you sure it's not because you smell like a horse . . ?  Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 05:09:50 PM »

Hmmm; I think my nastiest experience was the day a big dog peed onto and into my bag. Ruined my lunch and the bag stank to high heaven.  Angry

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
grego
NWDD Member

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 09:17:33 PM »

Hi Chris, I think your nastiest experience was the farmer with the sharp penknife.

Grego
wagis
NWDD Member

gravity always gets me down

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 06:33:11 PM »

I wondered if the signals given off by detectors affect animals as i have been attacked by a pheasant well it was going for my detector, had my coat pinched by a pony, surrounded by cows getting agitated and had dogs sit in front of me and refuse to move.
Humfrey

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 06:47:29 PM »

The first year I moved into my home here, we had a pheasant hanging around the chickens I keep. The pheasant was absolutely bonkers and started to chase cars that drove past, almost causing accidents. Infact trying to get the pheasant back on to the property I would have to drive by it and get it to chase me. I later read that this behaviour is not all that uncommon for a male pheasant because they are so territorial.
raistlain

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 06:52:54 PM »

The first year I moved into my home here, we had a pheasant hanging around the chickens I keep. The pheasant was absolutely bonkers and started to chase cars that drove past, almost causing accidents. Infact trying to get the pheasant back on to the property I would have to drive by it and get it to chase me. I later read that this behaviour is not all that uncommon for a male pheasant because they are so territorial.

I can vouch for this as I live by a regular shoot were they breed pheasants and a main road runs alongside and every morning its total carnage they just seem to jump at trucks and cars wierd  Sad
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 04:32:26 AM »

Hi Chris, I think your nastiest experience was the farmer with the sharp penknife.

Ah Ha; I remember that well! It were bigger than a penknife and as sharp as a razor blade.  It cut through the sheep's throat like a hot knife through butter.  Shocked

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 04:37:10 AM »

I also remember the little farm dog that gave us a maths lesson. Taught us about "Pi"; or was it "Pie"?  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Never leave a car door open when thieving dogs are around.   Wink

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 05:08:56 PM »

Pie must be a dog thing.  John's never forgiven his mates dog for pinching his pork pie.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal