Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ummmmmm ?  (Read 4866 times)
Philip764
Rally attendee

British by birth, Welsh by the grace of God :-)

« on: January 19, 2016, 09:54:09 AM »

As I've mentioned in my other post, it is my birthday today and my missus has bought me a Garrett Euro Ace, so, I'm chuffed to bits with it and cannot wait to get out and start my new hobby.  However, it arrived with a plastic clip-on for the search coil...... should this be put on before detecting or is it purely for storage protection ? It is not listed in the 'parts' section........ please don't laugh.....lol
david995

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 10:16:21 AM »

You can leave on or off its to protect the coil from damage if you hit something, i personally dont leave it on as it adds weight i go most days and have never in several years damaged a coil by wearing it out , and im pretty rough with them

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Philip764
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 10:18:29 AM »

Many thanks for your reply.......... :-)
david995

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 10:21:28 AM »

They also collect water and grit soil mud and play havoc so if using it you need to clean regulary

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 10:21:40 AM »

David, you've only got to look at the scuffs on the bottom of the coil to see how many times it catches on something.
It might take time to wear one out that way but bear in mind the cost of a cover compared to the cost of a new coil. Also the value should you decide to part ex or sell on.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
david995

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 10:46:28 AM »

val

as i say i have used mine with it off  for years going most days and personally prefer not to have the weight and collection of water soil etc  but thats just me,  others may be able to put up with that and yes the coil keeps in better condition but i ve had no problems they are also cheap to replace   its are own choice obviously 

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 11:13:34 AM »

Hello Philip,firstly congratulations on your new acquisition of your GARRETT Euro Ace.
As Val says,compare the cost of a coil cover,against a coil !!
We All (well with a few exceptions) use our coils with coil covers,you ,as we all do will hit a concealed rock/stone  etc,its inevitable !!if you detect WITHOUT the coil cover,you will eventually crack open the basic resin cover that protects the inner workings of the coil,rendering it useless, and remember, a replacement coil cover will cost from around £10:00 depending on what size coil you are covering.
To replace even the smallest COIL will probably cost from £100:00 upwards!!
With regards to the excess weight,it actually makes NO difference, take a look at the coil cover,feel the weight,its nothing,just consider that the coil cover is part of the total coil,It will save you a small fortune in the end.
This is my personal view and is in no way biased,just a suggestion.
Good hunting.👍
Philip764
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 11:38:04 AM »

Thanks for the advice, I have decided to fit it..... as mentioned, it weighs nothing and if I do give it a clip against a 'hard place' it will help protect it.  Phil.
david995

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 11:39:35 AM »

You will find that with the water they hold and mud grit etc plus the cover they do add to the weight but again personal choice i do everything i can to reduce weight  and dont want to be cleaning all the time , the other alterative is to cylicone it on that stops water grit soil ingress

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 12:53:03 PM »

Not sure what coil you've used that you had to keep taking the cover off David but I've probably had to remove a cover for cleaning about 5 times in nearly 40 years and as for damage in a good year if I don't have to change the coil cover because it's worn through on the Explorer then I haven't been using it properly Wink
raistlain

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 02:46:43 PM »

if you use your coil on sand or coarse soil without a cover I don't think it would last very long .....it weights nothing put it on and your only scratching a hole through a cheap cover... leave it off and your scratching a hole through the bottom of probably a hundred pounds or so coil  Wink use it or loose it ha ha ha ..   that's my coil cover slogan..  Grin
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 08:05:25 PM »

Maybe you had a bad cover David.  I just remembered I had one with my NEL Sharpshooter. It nearly drove me mad. Got so bad on the beach it would sag and pull away from the coil.
I ended up sealing it with black electric tape. Even then, when it got wet,  the tape would start coming off and it was a real pain to clean up, dry and re-tape.
Then one day, quite by accident I cured it.  I pulled it all to pieces to clean and dropped the cover in the sink, in hot water  Shocked
well it did the trick. when I put it back on the coil it was a perfect fit.  Don't know if I would recommend anyone else try it though.  I make a disclaimer right now  Grin

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 12:13:39 PM »

Hmmm, that's interesting Val. Must keep a note of that!  Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal